Poll: Should the reputation option on the forum be deleted, or should it remain as it is?
Delete rep system
Allow the rep system to remain
I don't care either way
[Show Results]

Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 08:17 PM
RE: Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste
In the new spacebar system my username will be
Code:
"            "
so if anyone else wants it... to bad... it's taken.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
03-12-2011, 08:21 PM
(03-12-2011 08:17 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  In the new spacebar system my username will be
Code:
"            "
so if anyone else wants it... to bad... it's taken.

Dammit! I wanted that one.

OK, I'll be " ".

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I still don't see how not giving a person something another person has - earned or unearned - infringes their freedom. Maybe it makes them jealous; maybe it makes them blue; maybe it makes them feel inadequate; maybe it makes them angry enough to give somebody negative feedback, but they're certainly not forced to into any of those actions. They're equally free to stay as to leave, to type as to refrain from typing.

The mechanism of control still escapes me. Nobody is going to be - well, okay, i don't know that. Say rather, nobody, so far, has become more like HoC, in order to be popular, nor changed any of their views to correspond with mine, even when i'd done my best to convince them. Everyone has their own style, which some like and some dislike - popular opinion can always go either way. The invasion of the bobbysoxers altered the dynamic; new members from Europe may alter it again. World events may bring one interest group to the fore; an article on some site may direct another faction here in response. The composition of participants changes all the time.

Seems to me, a sensitive person is far more likely to leave if they're called a dumb shit, a grammar-nazi, a bastard, or whatever, if their argument is dissed, or if they're ignored, than just because somebody else has a different number in their box. Having all these great rep point in mine (arguably more than i deserve) has not allowed me to exert any control over what anybody else says - if it did, some folks would smarten up pdq. In fact, i have zero power in any capacity. Which is exactly how much i had with 0 reps.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
03-12-2011, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 08:48 PM by Mr Woof.)
(03-12-2011 06:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Defacto, I don't agree with your reasononing. Havine a "low rep" does not, in any way whatsoever, "eliminate those who can't or don't wish to comply to the social order." But again, if the membership agrees, it's fine with me.

For the record, although we have over 1500 members, my guess is that we have around 50 (low estimate) members who are active on the forum at present. If I hear from half that, and the majority I hear from want to eliminate the rep system, then I will.

Fair enough?
I don't understand. How can I get a really negative reputation like Train Wreck? I like mavericks. What is the major criteria both negative and positive?Huh

No need for people to freak out; also it is a good exercise for more sensitive types to toughen up. If things get too hot in the kitchen, turn up the heat on the others.

I think gradings provide a little bit of extra interest!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Oh well... it's interesting to feel just a little bit like the theist in the thread. Wink Maybe I should say something really rad like "Calvin Rules". Big Grin

It's all going along just as expected. But I wonder what it all means???

Some people just need something to belong to and just can't make it work because the loud ones run everything. We are out here. Evolution I guess.

Peterkin... I suppose you read my post... so maybe you're right... maybe not in every instance.

Not much more to say about it. Smile I'm not planning to vote. Things just are what they are.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
[+] 2 users Like defacto7's post
03-12-2011, 09:03 PM
But you voted just the same.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Also I think explaining it's all going as expected would be nice. It sounds fishy and a bit sneaky. If you are running some kind of experiment I think some of your parameters might need fleshing out.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2011, 09:21 PM

(03-12-2011 08:56 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  Some people just need something to belong to and just can't make it work because the loud ones run everything. We are out here. Evolution I guess.

Defacto, you are my friend and I hate to see you hurt.

I KNOW that you are a terrific guy and I wish more people knew you the way I know you.

We are what we are, all of us, including you and me. You are right, I am one of the loud ones -- I was born that way. I am old and have a lot to say and I just can't shut up for a minute, so I post and post and post.

Different people react differently to individual styles and there is a mainline of what will become popular in certain circles.

I was highly unpopular in 2 other forums before this one and left because I could not get my thoughts through to most members there.

I consider myself very lucky here because I enjoy the freedom to say whatever I wish to say, without being reprimanded all the time and there are enough very clever, even brilliant people who respond positively to some of my posts.

I don't know how to make you feel better about the problems you explained -- I have never been a very good psychologist -- I often wish I were.

You have to make an accounting for yourself and see if the 'debits' outweigh the 'credits' and make your decision in your very own self interest.

I wish you could just shrug it off and keep on trucking because I really enjoy many of your posts and your attitude and take on issues.

Smile
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
03-12-2011, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 10:43 PM by defacto7.)
Thanks Zat... You are not one of the loud ones! You are one of the smart, intuitive ones. The loud ones are the ones who manipulate the crown for the sake of manipulation. They are the ones who cannot be wrong no matter how wrong they may be. There are other definitions... But if I had it my way, you and a couple others would have a loud speaker! Smile

I appreciate your support. Hurt? well... yes and no. I represent a silent bunch of people. I also represent myself, and I see a big flaw in the system not only here but in the general landscape of humanity on the Internet. So if you remove the personal, think through the data, I still think my point is correct... but it's still my view point. No harm intended or received. Also... there is no way I would ever disagree with the freedom that exists here. But if people can't think it could be better... ? hmmm

I didn't mean to make this sound like I think you guys don't deserve your points or reps. My original post, I think is still correct. It was a good point. I haven't seen a reasonable counter to it yet. Some good rethinks and switch around points that make it better to see actually what my point is, thanks. I stand by it though. Forget the pity shit, I'm not looking for that, gees. But it's nice that most of you replied with respect my having made some kind of fool of myself. Smile

I'm a hell of a neurotic.... maybe... Rolleyes

lucradis... not what I meant... but it does sound that way.... I am someone who snoops around out of personal interest. Experiment??? ha.. no way.

As you were, everyone....

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Am I loud or just amiably crazy?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post