Poll: Should the reputation option on the forum be deleted, or should it remain as it is?
Delete rep system
Allow the rep system to remain
I don't care either way
[Show Results]

Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 10:43 PM
RE: Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste
Both Lil. Godammit that's why I love ya!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2011, 10:50 PM
(03-12-2011 10:37 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Am I loud or just amiably crazy?

You're real....

I've been reading your posts off and on since February. I missed everything between April and June due to a failed love affair with death. You are one of my favorite posters of all. When I started posting back in I think August, I was sad to not see you around much. I'm glad you're here.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
03-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Yay!!! Yeah every once in a while life gets in the way of cyber life. I got a lot of messages from members asking me to return. When things get more stable I might end up helping out here a bit more. I like being involved, but my life is still pretty hectic. Unless stark has a room =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
04-12-2011, 08:58 AM
(03-12-2011 11:15 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Unless stark has a room =p

What are you kidding me?? You're welcome here any time!!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
(03-12-2011 08:56 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  Peterkin... I suppose you read my post... so maybe you're right... maybe not in every instance.

Of course, i don't know every instance, and i've been wrong quite often, but that's for someone else to point out, whereupon i may be convinced and back off - or not. I have no emotional attachment or rational commitment to the rep system; nor have i first-hand evidence compelling enough to oppose it. I have no idea what's in the minds of people who don't say what's on their minds. An old adage goes: "Even its mother doesn't understand the mute child." That's patently untrue - so it's equally possible that some people are attuned to the silent, while others are oblivious or indifferent.
I've been sensitive in previous incarnations, and it served me poorly. I didn't like having to plead and fight for the underdog all the time - it turns cyber-life into one long rearguard action; wearying and futile. Especially when some of the underdogs have really asked to be kicked and keep pissing on the pantleg of the biggest, baddest kid on the street.
I honestly don't feel i owe any sympathy to combative but incompetent theists who come here to challenge unbelievers... I mean, it's up there in the title, innit? And there are plenty of places they can feel more welcome and be more popular, if that's what they want.

I toughened up a bit, distanced myself a bit, cooled off a bit. I find this works better for me. Probably not so well for everyone, but i've decided that's not my problem or responsibility.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
04-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Defacto7 doesn't vote after starting all this controversy? Why I aught to...Heart

(that dang Gwynnies Tongue) Perhaps the cat needed to get shit sorted in his head. I don't know how well this is known, but there exist levels to pattern reinforcement. For instance, if I think "I like ice cream," the thought is dreamy and fluid, if I write it down, the thought solidifies; if I write it down on a public forum, not only is the thought more concrete, I can step outside my thought to see how it looks - part of that simulating the mind of another bit. And if people actually respond, then the simulating bit can be used to get a peek at how I appear to others.

Yeah, I experiment with shit alla time. Big Grin

Science, yo. I guess I'm the only naysayer... defacto. Tongue

There has been plenty of interesting points raised, but where there is democracy, there need not be reason - look at this America place - and I don't like it more than I like it. All there is to it. Big Grin

But it looks like it's sticking around. That's good, too. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
That in my opinion is your best ever post cantor! Though I have missed a lot of them and don't understand some still. This one is pure gold sir.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
(04-12-2011 11:07 AM)lucradis Wrote:  That in my opinion is your best ever post cantor! Though I have missed a lot of them and don't understand some still. This one is pure gold sir.

Best ever? I'm not making any progress... Big Grin

Thanks. Too many emotes in it. I love them things; some peeps don't, and that's a good thing about democracy. When a crew forms, a group dynamic is built; as members drift away and n00bs join the fray, that dynamic slowly shifts and changes. A cloud blown across rolling hills.

Without some manner of democracy, the evolution of the group dynamic is impeded, and bad things occur... am I pontificating again? Gotta keep that button from sticking. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-12-2011, 02:35 PM
I dont really see any need to get rid of the rep.
Yes im sure some people give rep for the dumbest of reasons, but its a good way to give feedback.

It also shows that people enjoy your posts and opinions or the way you carry yourself on the forum.

Has there been a case when someones posts have been ignored because they are in negative rep? because ive noticed the exact opposite of that, trainwreck, theo etc have negative rep yet they are not ignored or treated as a lesser member of the forum.

Keep the the rep.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
04-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Behold, we have unknowingly created a scientific experiment in Capitalism. Those with low currencies of reputation seem to want the record set back to zero to level the playing fields, while those of us who have acquired a fair amount of reputation currency over the years would like it to stay. The poor screaming "it's not fair" and the rich jesting "get off your lazy ass and earn your own rep."

But seriously, back in the day we used to also show "Likes Received," of which me and Observer were dominating like Tyson and Ali competing for the championship belt. But then someone with low Likes Received complained and it was taken down, subsequently ending me and Observers epic battle. Now the tale is merely a legend, a myth told by old housewives around campfires.

Reps are useful for show gratitude by people like me, who are incapable of conveying actual human emotion in text form. A Rep given is an e-hug. And it's also useful for quickly identifying trolls and evangelist zealots. I only read about half the sections in this forum and when I stumble upon someone claiming, "It's been scientifically proven that Christ has risen!" It's nice to see a big red -4 next to his name to give me a heads up.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post