Poll: Should the reputation option on the forum be deleted, or should it remain as it is?
Delete rep system
Allow the rep system to remain
I don't care either way
[Show Results]

Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2011, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 05:20 PM by Hughsie.)
RE: Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste
(04-12-2011 05:11 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Behold, we have unknowingly created a scientific experiment in Capitalism. Those with low currencies of reputation seem to want the record set back to zero to level the playing fields, while those of us who have acquired a fair amount of reputation currency over the years would like it to stay. The poor screaming "it's not fair" and the rich jesting "get off your lazy ass and earn your own rep."

But seriously, back in the day we used to also show "Likes Received," of which me and Observer were dominating like Tyson and Ali competing for the championship belt. But then someone with low Likes Received complained and it was taken down, subsequently ending me and Observers epic battle. Now the tale is merely a legend, a myth told by old housewives around campfires.

Reps are useful for show gratitude by people like me, who are incapable of conveying actual human emotion in text form. A Rep given is an e-hug. And it's also useful for quickly identifying trolls and evangelist zealots. I only read about half the sections in this forum and when I stumble upon someone claiming, "It's been scientifically proven that Christ has risen!" It's nice to see a big red -4 next to his name to give me a heads up.

I preferred it when 'likes' were displayed to be honest. I think it's probably Zat who's our resident super-heavyweight in the 'likes' department now.

I also miss all the posts from new people saying 'don't give any more likes BC, you're on 666' and the subsequent explanation Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes, the Likes are still on profiles, and he's got me by about a hundred. But then again, he is a posting machine.

...and my Likes Given are still 666.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM

(04-12-2011 05:11 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Behold, we have unknowingly created a scientific experiment in Capitalism. Those with low currencies of reputation seem to want the record set back to zero to level the playing fields, while those of us who have acquired a fair amount of reputation currency over the years would like it to stay. "

For the record: there are 6 of us at the moment, some with higher than average rep, who don't care either way and one (Cantor I presume) whit also higher than average rep points who want to abolish it (said so in another thread).

As with most generalizations, BC, you have to sweep a sizable set of counterexamples under the carpet. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
(04-12-2011 05:19 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...and my Likes Given are still 666.

Yeah but your mark of the devil is no longer displayed on every post, I kinda miss seeing it there.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
(04-12-2011 05:11 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Behold, we have unknowingly created a scientific experiment in Capitalism. Those with low currencies of reputation seem to want the record set back to zero to level the playing fields, while those of us who have acquired a fair amount of reputation currency over the years would like it to stay. The poor screaming "it's not fair" and the rich jesting "get off your lazy ass and earn your own rep."

But seriously, back in the day we used to also show "Likes Received," of which me and Observer were dominating like Tyson and Ali competing for the championship belt. But then someone with low Likes Received complained and it was taken down, subsequently ending me and Observers epic battle. Now the tale is merely a legend, a myth told by old housewives around campfires.

Reps are useful for show gratitude by people like me, who are incapable of conveying actual human emotion in text form. A Rep given is an e-hug. And it's also useful for quickly identifying trolls and evangelist zealots. I only read about half the sections in this forum and when I stumble upon someone claiming, "It's been scientifically proven that Christ has risen!" It's nice to see a big red -4 next to his name to give me a heads up.

That's awesome... needs the music.

Technically, however; mine is the sole "get rid of it" vote; and in a span between TW's -28 and SR's former 34, I'm one of the "fat cats." Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:For the record: there are 6 of us at the moment, some with higher than average rep, who don't care either way and one (Cantor I presume) whit also higher than average rep points who want to abolish it (said so in another thread).

As with most generalizations, BC, you have to sweep a sizable set of counterexamples under the carpet.

Yes, as with Capitalism, the majority of people are well enough off that they don't care one way or another as well. Indifference is a form of apathetic acceptance. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"All generalizations are false, including this one."

-Mark Twain

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
04-12-2011, 05:32 PM

(04-12-2011 05:27 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Indifference is a form of apathetic acceptance.

...or, it may mean that we are truly 50-50 about the issue and the arguments of 'for' do not outweigh the arguments of 'against' (and the other way around) -- we can live with both choices!

Sorry for correcting you again, Buddy, but today I am in a cantankerous mood, forgive an old grouch! Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
04-12-2011, 05:35 PM
(04-12-2011 05:11 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Behold, we have unknowingly created a scientific experiment in Capitalism.

Buddy... You are a god here and we all know it. You are one of mine for sure. I don't need a rep to tell me whether you are a troll or a god. But please god, don't reduce me to mere jealousy. That would be your department... Big Grin

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
04-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I would have to say that not caring one way or the other is as good as acceptance. Doesn't matter if it's fifty fifty or not so long as you can live with it being in existence. Believe me it's te same with people who claim only agnosticism. They can't be truly agnostic only because if they were thy would both worship a god and not worship a god. They lean one way slightly more than another so as to live their life. Like me.
If you don't care and can live with the rep system then you are in acceptance. Otherwise you do care.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
04-12-2011, 05:50 PM
(04-12-2011 05:32 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(04-12-2011 05:27 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Indifference is a form of apathetic acceptance.

...or, it may mean that we are truly 50-50 about the issue and the arguments of 'for' do not outweigh the arguments of 'against' (and the other way around) -- we can live with both choices!

Sorry for correcting you again, Buddy, but today I am in a cantankerous mood, forgive an old grouch! Tongue

Old grouch? Or is it that your pontificate button got stuck? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]