Requesting help with a video project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Requesting help with a video project
I have been working up an idea that I have had for some time. I plan to spend a day in a park with a video camera asking various people the same series of questions then editing their answers into a video. Here's the idea, I am only going to interview people who claim to be either Christian, Jew or Muslim. The questions will all be the same. The only difference will be that when I ask Jews, the name for God I give will be Yaweh. For Christians I will call him Jehovah and of course I will call him Allah for Muslims.

The questions are as follows:

1. Are you a _?
2. Do you believe in X?
3. Do you believe that X created the universe, the sun, the moon, the earth, and all living things?
4. Do you believe that X performs miracles?
5. Do you believe that X spoke to the prophets including Abraham, Noah, and others?
6. Do you believe that X requires that you believe in these things in order to believe in Him?
7. Do you believe that there is an afterlife in heaven for those who faithfully believe in X?
8. Do you believe that anyone who believes these things also believes in X?
9. Do you think the _s believe in the same deity as you?
10. Do you think the _s believe in the same deity as you?

Question one will fill in the blank with the religion they claim to follow. Questions 9 and 10 will ask about the other two faiths.

So what do you think? Is this a worthwhile project? Any suggestions for how to make it better?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2011, 01:42 PM
RE: Requesting help with a video project
Sounds like a great plan, but a lot of Christians don't agree with calling their god Jehovah. Just not sure what people will respond with after you use the name.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
16-02-2011, 01:46 PM
You may have a point there. I definitely wanted to find a way to distinguish the names since Muslims don't call God "God." Can anyone come up with a better alternative?
16-02-2011, 01:47 PM
(16-02-2011 01:42 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Sounds like a great plan, but a lot of Christians don't agree with calling their god Jehovah. Just not sure what people will respond with after you use the name.

I want to see how many of them say "who?" Smile
I'm not sure about an alternative name, unless you want to insert Jesus as the name of their god, since he is also the father and everything.

I never thought about it really until a few months ago, but it's a neat language trick they pulled when they translated "Yahweh" and "Jehovah" into "God." Gets rid of several Biblical discrepancies.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
16-02-2011, 01:56 PM
(16-02-2011 01:47 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(16-02-2011 01:42 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Sounds like a great plan, but a lot of Christians don't agree with calling their god Jehovah. Just not sure what people will respond with after you use the name.

I want to see how many of them say "who?" Smile
I'm not sure about an alternative name, unless you want to insert Jesus as the name of their god, since he is also the father and everything.

I never thought about it really until a few months ago, but it's a neat language trick they pulled when they translated "Yahweh" and "Jehovah" into "God." Gets rid of several Biblical discrepancies.

Yeah, I don't see a lot of Christians even saying that Jesus spoke to Moses. I actually considered substituting the words "the trinity" for Jehovah but same problem there me thinks. I suppose I could just say Yahweh for Jews, Allah for Muslims and God for Christians, but somehow that seems like I'm over-validating Christianity.
16-02-2011, 02:09 PM
(16-02-2011 01:56 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Yeah, I don't see a lot of Christians even saying that Jesus spoke to Moses. I actually considered substituting the words "the trinity" for Jehovah but same problem there me thinks. I suppose I could just say Yahweh for Jews, Allah for Muslims and God for Christians, but somehow that seems like I'm over-validating Christianity.

Exactly. Well, I was taught in my 5th grade Bible class (private school - not Sunday School) that the ancient Hebrews referred to him as Jehovah, so I'd say go with that. But I don't know how universally accepted it is. I guess at the very least it might open up some interesting lines of conversation.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
16-02-2011, 02:14 PM
(16-02-2011 02:09 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(16-02-2011 01:56 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Yeah, I don't see a lot of Christians even saying that Jesus spoke to Moses. I actually considered substituting the words "the trinity" for Jehovah but same problem there me thinks. I suppose I could just say Yahweh for Jews, Allah for Muslims and God for Christians, but somehow that seems like I'm over-validating Christianity.

Exactly. Well, I was taught in my 5th grade Bible class (private school - not Sunday School) that the ancient Hebrews referred to him as Jehovah, so I'd say go with that. But I don't know how universally accepted it is. I guess at the very least it might open up some interesting lines of conversation.

I suppose for the sake of continuity I could just specify to the Christians that I am going to refer to God by his pseudonym, Jehovah. Oh, wait, How about if I call him "He who shall not be named?" Or does that seem too much like a Harry Potter reference?
16-02-2011, 02:27 PM
If you are talking to Christians, and want them to identify that you are talking about their god, I'd refer to him as "The Father" or "The Heavenly Father".

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Heavenly father. That works!
17-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Some ideas, you asked for. Do I sound like Yoda?

1. Are you a _? - or - What religion do you belong to? or a similar variation.
2. Do you believe in X? - or - What is the name of the god that you believe in?

These get them to tell you. The answers may prove to be revealing.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.