Requesting input......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Requesting input......
Does anyone remember an older movie called Short Circuit? It is still one of my favorites to this day. Like the robot #5, I would like some input....

Now that I realize that Genesis 1:1 is simply the 'beginning" of a ridiculously, and not even well-written, fairy tale, where does that leave me? I have no idea?!

This is going to sound extremely naive, but honestly I am very naive when it comes to this subject - how did we get here? All I ever knew was the bible version.

As of yet, there are no other planets that can sustain life, as earth does. Are there more out there? Probably. But, for now, I'd just like to deal with earth's beginnings, and human life beginnings.

I would really appreciate other's thoughts on this.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 08:23 PM
RE: Requesting input......
You're not me, so what works for me MAY not be as satisfying for you. But I'll tell you what has helped me thus far. Please keep in mind that I'm a brand new atheist myself.

I've watched videos with Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens. I'm also reading books by them and Carl Sagan. Also the site Rational Wiki.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
03-05-2014, 08:50 PM
I like to think that life simply happens wherever the conditions right for it are present for a long enough period of time. Like how when you get enough of it together, mass just goes critical, and stars are born Shy

Stars and Life: just how it is Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Gulegon, you remind mre of a quote by somrbody and I can't remembre who. But esssentially ithey said, "you are made of stardust."

I thought that was beautiful.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
That'd be from Lawrence Krauss, if my memory serves me well.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 2 users Like John's post
03-05-2014, 09:22 PM
John, I'm so sorry for my spelling. I'm a little bit inebriated, and I'm trying to be as careful as I can with my spelling in this post that I'm writing now.

03-05-2014, 09:28 PM
(03-05-2014 09:17 PM)John Wrote:  That'd be from Lawrence Krauss, if my memory serves me well.

I thought it was Carl Sagan

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
03-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Could be, I'm too young to know much of what Sagan said on telly, I've just seen clips on youtube later on.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
03-05-2014, 09:37 PM
(03-05-2014 09:34 PM)John Wrote:  Could be, I'm too young to know much of what Sagan said on telly, I've just seen clips on youtube later on.

I'm reading one of Sagan's books right now. I'm in my 20's. No idea what he said on TV.

03-05-2014, 09:43 PM
(03-05-2014 09:37 PM)Charis Wrote:  I'm reading one of Sagan's books right now. I'm in my 20's. No idea what he said on TV.

Which book would that be? And reading inebriated might be fun but it probably won't stick to your mind. Tongue

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post