Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2014, 01:19 AM
RE: Requesting input......
Don't erase the dog, ma! Gasp

Bechased

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-05-2014, 03:28 AM
(03-05-2014 08:19 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Does anyone remember an older movie called Short Circuit? It is still one of my favorites to this day. Like the robot #5, I would like some input....

Now that I realize that Genesis 1:1 is simply the 'beginning" of a ridiculously, and not even well-written, fairy tale, where does that leave me? I have no idea?!

This is going to sound extremely naive, but honestly I am very naive when it comes to this subject - how did we get here? All I ever knew was the bible version.

As of yet, there are no other planets that can sustain life, as earth does. Are there more out there? Probably. But, for now, I'd just like to deal with earth's beginnings, and human life beginnings.

I would really appreciate other's thoughts on this.

I recommend you search Google for podcasts featuring physicist, Laurence Krauss. Just type in 'Lawrence Krauss podcast'. Many choices come up. There is an amusing one he did in Australia. Hee ya go. It is quite amusing.
Krauss podcast.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-05-2014, 06:18 AM
One of my all time favorites

NDT- explains how you are made from the stars

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
12-05-2014, 06:58 AM
(12-05-2014 12:49 AM)CindysRain Wrote:  All this input is indeed helping erase the dogma, that still nags at the back of my mind.

And it will probably nag you for a long time to come, not because there is any truth to it but because you have had years of conditioning. It's the same reason that childhood fears can still haunt a rational grown up. My mother is in her 60's and still can't stay in a house alone at night because my grandmother always talked about ghosts watching over us and often held seances. I used to believe in ghosts too. Now I joke about whether they would violate the second law of thermodynamics and whether we could use them as a power source.

It's exactly the same mechanism. Learning more about current scientific knowledge will give you the tools to exorcise your religious demons because they thrive on ignorance. The more you know the smaller the gap becomes in which you can fit God and Hell into. Eventually the childhood fears will fade away.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
12-05-2014, 02:29 PM
(12-05-2014 03:28 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:19 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Does anyone remember an older movie called Short Circuit? It is still one of my favorites to this day. Like the robot #5, I would like some input....

Now that I realize that Genesis 1:1 is simply the 'beginning" of a ridiculously, and not even well-written, fairy tale, where does that leave me? I have no idea?!

This is going to sound extremely naive, but honestly I am very naive when it comes to this subject - how did we get here? All I ever knew was the bible version.

As of yet, there are no other planets that can sustain life, as earth does. Are there more out there? Probably. But, for now, I'd just like to deal with earth's beginnings, and human life beginnings.

I would really appreciate other's thoughts on this.

I recommend you search Google for podcasts featuring physicist, Laurence Krauss. Just type in 'Lawrence Krauss podcast'. Many choices come up. There is an amusing one he did in Australia. Hee ya go. It is quite amusing.
Krauss podcast.

I see he toured with Richard Dawkins, and there is a documentary called The Unbelievers. I'll bet that's good.

Another great link added to my bookmarks, thanks Banjo.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
12-05-2014, 02:44 PM
(12-05-2014 06:58 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 12:49 AM)CindysRain Wrote:  All this input is indeed helping erase the dogma, that still nags at the back of my mind.

And it will probably nag you for a long time to come, not because there is any truth to it but because you have had years of conditioning. It's the same reason that childhood fears can still haunt a rational grown up. My mother is in her 60's and still can't stay in a house alone at night because my grandmother always talked about ghosts watching over us and often held seances. I used to believe in ghosts too. Now I joke about whether they would violate the second law of thermodynamics and whether we could use them as a power source.

It's exactly the same mechanism. Learning more about current scientific knowledge will give you the tools to exorcise your religious demons because they thrive on ignorance. The more you know the smaller the gap becomes in which you can fit God and Hell into. Eventually the childhood fears will fade away.

Exactly!! We certainly were never encouraged to think for ourselves. To question the validity of any part of the bible = danger of hell fire. There's a clue! Rolleyes

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
12-05-2014, 02:54 PM
(12-05-2014 01:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  Don't erase the dog, ma! Gasp

Bechased

Clap

12-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Perhaps the greatest book ever written may be of some use to you here.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
12-05-2014, 03:07 PM
(12-05-2014 06:18 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  One of my all time favorites

NDT- explains how you are made from the stars

I had not seen this video of Neil, Bows! I'm beginning to love him. Surprisingly to me, I understand most of what he says.

I'd much rather believe that I am made from the stars, than to be told what a low-life, undeserving sinner I am.

Great video!

12-05-2014, 03:13 PM
(12-05-2014 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps the greatest book ever written may be of some use to you here.

I am looking it over now. Thanks for the link.

[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post