Requesting input......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: Requesting input......
(12-05-2014 03:13 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps the greatest book ever written may be of some use to you here.

I am looking it over now. Thanks for the link.

It's kinda dense, but it's the best history of science and philosophy of science text I've yet come across, and while focused on physics, it touches on pretty much everything.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
12-05-2014, 03:54 PM
(12-05-2014 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps the greatest book ever written may be of some use to you here.

Holy shit I'm so glad I clicked that link. We covets it!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-05-2014, 04:26 PM
(12-05-2014 03:07 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 06:18 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  One of my all time favorites

NDT- explains how you are made from the stars

I had not seen this video of Neil, Bows! I'm beginning to love him. Surprisingly to me, I understand most of what he says.

I'd much rather believe that I am made from the stars, than to be told what a low-life, undeserving sinner I am.

Great video!

That's why we all love him. We get it when he says it.

Check out COSMOS. He hosts it now and it's awesome!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Did you know we are still fish taxonomically?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
12-05-2014, 05:44 PM
(12-05-2014 05:13 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Did you know we are still fish taxonomically?

No, I did not. Consider

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
12-05-2014, 06:06 PM
(12-05-2014 05:44 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 05:13 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Did you know we are still fish taxonomically?

No, I did not. Consider

Yup. It works like this. You never grow out of your evolutionary ancestory. Humans are mammals, which are synapsids, which are amniotes, which are tetrapods. Tetrapods are lobe fined fishes.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary...vograms_04

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
13-05-2014, 01:15 PM
(03-05-2014 09:45 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:34 PM)John Wrote:  Could be, I'm too young to know much of what Sagan said on telly, I've just seen clips on youtube later on.

You calling me old? Tongue

Jk I was just saying what I thought it was. I don't know much about Lawrence Krauss, so I attributed the quote to someone more familiar to me. Somebody needs to get in here and say who's right! Haha

Or I could just google it......

You don't need to. Both said it in principle:

"You are all stardust" - Lawrence Krauss (at AAI 2009)
"We are made of starstuff." - Carl Sagan (somewhere in Cosmos)

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
13-05-2014, 01:54 PM
(12-05-2014 12:39 AM)CindysRain Wrote:  I did not see this post until right now....still learning the site.

Wow and wow! Thanks for all the great info!! I do follow a couple facebook sites like The Mind Unleashed and I Fucking Love Science. It is really helping sculpt my new thought process.

Think I might just copy and paste all this to my open office, so I can sift through each one, taking my time.

Nice input!! Yes
Number 5 is alive!

All hail to Johnny!

I forgot two things:

1. If you like explosions and a sort of relaxed approach to science, then try the TV
show "Mythbusters" with Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman. It's awesome! Thumbsup

2. The scientific method, like virtually every scientific theory, is a concept. And learning these takes time, hence my recommendation with the 20 hours.
BUT, there is a great learning technique that will improve your ability to make the most of the time: Self-explanation.
You can find all that you need to know about it in these two sources:

a) Roy, M. & Chi, M.T.H. (2005). Self-explanation in a multi-media context, pages 5-17
b) Fonseca, B. & Chi, M.T.H. (2011). The self-explanation effect: A constructive learning activity
Both can be downloaded here for free.

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
13-05-2014, 02:20 PM
(13-05-2014 01:15 PM)therealJim Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:45 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  You calling me old? Tongue

Jk I was just saying what I thought it was. I don't know much about Lawrence Krauss, so I attributed the quote to someone more familiar to me. Somebody needs to get in here and say who's right! Haha

Or I could just google it......

You don't need to. Both said it in principle:

"We are stardust, we are golden." Joni Mitchell (Woodstock, 1969)

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2014, 02:31 PM
(13-05-2014 02:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 01:15 PM)therealJim Wrote:  You don't need to. Both said it in principle:

"We are stardust, we are golden." Joni Mitchell (Woodstock, 1969)

"Grau, teurer Freund, ist alle Theorie, und grün ist des Lebens goldener Baum." Mephisto (Faust. Der Tragödie erster Teil von Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

"Grey, dear friend, is all theory, and green is the golden tree of life." Mephisto (Faust, Part 1 by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)