Rescuers attempt to refloat stranded whales in New Zealand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Rescuers attempt to refloat stranded whales in New Zealand
http://www.reuters.com/video/2017/02/11/...=371105158

(there is a short video)

Quote: Rescuers attempted to refloat a number of stranded whales in New Zealand's Golden Bay for a second day on Saturday (February 11), where some 300 carcasses littered the beach after one of the country's largest recorded mass whale strandings. A conservation department worker spotted the whales washed ashore on Thursday (February 9) evening. But the government agency decided against a night rescue effort because of the risk of accidents. Hundreds of volunteers flocked to the site at the northwest tip of the South Island on Friday (February 10) after dawn broke and surviving whales were refloated at high tide by lunchtime, but 90 quickly became stranded once again as the tide ebbed.

Quote:"Emotionally, it's quite stressing because you can hear the whales calling which is really quite strong, you know," said one volunteer. According to local broadcaster TVNZ, a total of 120 whales were refloated on Saturday while volunteers are keeping a close watch on those becoming stranded again. It was New Zealand's largest known whale stranding since 1985, when 450 were stranded in Auckland, and the third largest on record. The precise cause of the stranding was not known, though beached whales are not an uncommon sight at Golden Bay. Its shallow muddy waters confuse the marine mammals' sonar, leaving them vulnerable to stranding by an ebb tide, according to marine mammal charity Project Jonah. Pilot whales are not listed as endangered, but little is known about their population in New Zealand waters.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-02-2017, 10:12 AM
RE: Rescuers attempt to refloat stranded whales in New Zealand
Sad I read about this and cried. UGH. Those poor people must have felt so helpless. And so much death is awful. I will say that stories like these make me feel hopeful for humanity. At least they tried.

We have a lot of standings here and have a couple stranding numbers we can call. But it's usually for a couple animals, not 150.
My husband helped push a huge sunfish back out to sea this fall. Then they helped tie him to a boat where they very slowly pulled him to deeper water. I hope he made it!

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
11-02-2017, 01:59 PM
The whales were probably just sick of American politics.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-02-2017, 04:14 PM
It's horrible - that's the second pod in one week - over 700 whales from combined pods.

About 400 have died, so far. Undecided Not good.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-02-2017, 04:53 PM
This is actually far more common than you'd think sadly (not this bad, but it does happen). It's always these pilot whales and always in the same spot.
It's so bizarre and nobody knows why it happens.

Just looked it up and yea, on average we have 300 beachings of whales and/or dolphins a year.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
11-02-2017, 05:04 PM
They beach for a lot of different reasons. Often when a few sick ones beach, others will follow to help them and get caught on the beach when the tide goes out.
Also, they can become confused when they encounter miles of really shallow waters and once again, the tide goes out and they are stuck.

I always wonder if they couldn't use the dead ones for food. Or is that even an option? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein