Research Advice on Stories from the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Research Advice on Stories from the Bible
I have an idea that I want to develop and I could use some advice.

I want to paint a series of stories of the abuse of women in bible stories. I know this seems odd but I've been studying some renaissance art and I have noticed the bible stories depicted are beautiful and romantic and not at all the real representation of the cruelty of those stories or their generations of the effect that women have suffered under those accepted treatments because of them. I want to bring the cruelty to life in my paintings.

I don't have any bible reading experience and to be honest I don't want to read the whole bible but I do want those tales that relate the abuse of females.

Do you have any ideas of how I could find just the ones I want?

I am thinking a Polyptych or similar type thing. Thx for any help you can give.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2016, 05:43 PM
RE: Research Advice on Stories from the Bible
We all could relate stories we remember from our studies before. Such as Lot
s wife being turned to stone and Noah's daughters having sex with their drunk father and being punished for it. How about Mary in the Garden finding Jesus' tomb empty and being chastised for it. Hundreds of them
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
16-01-2016, 06:00 PM
You could also do more general things like a woman speaking in church or something.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
16-01-2016, 06:03 PM
I appreciate that and I might need that unless I can find some site that might already have those stories listed. I kind of want the printed versions so I don't misinterpret the book itself except with my own artist license.

I'm searching online for them but so far not much in the way of a collection that has already been gathered.

Maybe if I could get a list of the story characters then I could search them individually.

I do know Lot and his wife.
Noah's daughters are new to me.
So is the Mary in the Garden thing.

Thx, I'll look them up.

16-01-2016, 06:07 PM
I think you have to start with Eve.

She doesn't even have an independent existence, she's just made to keep Adam company. And then Adam totally blames her for his decision to eat the fruit as well, and she gets punished EXTRA. Adam and Eve both get to die, but Eve gets to suffer extra pain and risk death in childbirth every time she fucks Adam. And of course there's a very long tradition of misogyny among Christians towards women based on Eve's sin.

You might combine the Bible story Eve with the Eve of Springsteen's "Pink Cadillac."
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
16-01-2016, 06:08 PM
(16-01-2016 05:43 PM)DerFish Wrote:  We all could relate stories we remember from our studies before. Such as Lot
s wife being turned to stone and Noah's daughters having sex with their drunk father and being punished for it. How about Mary in the Garden finding Jesus' tomb empty and being chastised for it. Hundreds of them

I have consider this, only twisting it to the grotesque, like having her lips sewn together and her eyes weighted down with small stones for the "eye cast down" thing. Still not sure how I want the series to be or it might even be two different series, one depictive and one grotesque.

Thx

16-01-2016, 06:11 PM
(16-01-2016 06:07 PM)julep Wrote:  I think you have to start with Eve.

She doesn't even have an independent existence, she's just made to keep Adam company. And then Adam totally blames her for his decision to eat the fruit as well, and she gets punished EXTRA. Adam and Eve both get to die, but Eve gets to suffer extra pain and risk death in childbirth every time she fucks Adam. And of course there's a very long tradition of misogyny among Christians towards women based on Eve's sin.

You might combine the Bible story Eve with the Eve of Springsteen's "Pink Cadillac."

Oh yes, Eve will be in the work. I will look the Pink Cadillac thing up. Thx

The more I think of it the more the grotesque and obscene appeals to me. My objective is to shock, offend and bring the cruelty of the words to life.

16-01-2016, 07:17 PM
This is a great idea Heath. Rape is incredibly romanticised in art. It's unbelievable. I just worked on Shakespeare's The Rape of Lucrece, which is one of his long poems. It has been reworked into a play. The story is originally from ancient Rome and it's possible the story is true. Here's the story from Wikipedia.

"Lucrece draws on the story described in both Ovid's Fasti and Livy's history of Rome. In 509 BC, Sextus Tarquinius, son of Tarquin, the king of Rome, raped Lucretia (Lucrece), wife of Collatinus, one of the king's aristocratic retainers. As a result, Lucrece committed suicide. Her body was paraded in the Roman Forum by the king's nephew. This incited a full-scale revolt against the Tarquins led by Lucius Junius Brutus, the banishment of the royal family, and the founding of the Roman republic."

The paintings of her rape are sort of pretty, la-de-da, sort of things.

[Image: 23-1654-1726-antonio-bellucci-the-rape-o...a-1700.jpg]

Rape in the bible is equally romanticised as if the woman doesn't matter at all. And she didn't.

Here's a painting of the Rape of Tamar, daughter of King David.

[Image: Rape_of_Tamar_-_Le_Seur.jpg]

This is one of the rapes in the Bubble that you could read up on. Tamar has no voice at all throughout most of the story. It's sick.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-01-2016, 07:42 PM
(16-01-2016 07:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is a great idea Heath. Rape is incredibly romanticised in art. It's unbelievable. I just worked on Shakespeare's The Rape of Lucrece, which is one of his long poems. It has been reworked into a play. The story is originally from ancient Rome and it's possible the story is true. Here's the story from Wikipedia.

"Lucrece draws on the story described in both Ovid's Fasti and Livy's history of Rome. In 509 BC, Sextus Tarquinius, son of Tarquin, the king of Rome, raped Lucretia (Lucrece), wife of Collatinus, one of the king's aristocratic retainers. As a result, Lucrece committed suicide. Her body was paraded in the Roman Forum by the king's nephew. This incited a full-scale revolt against the Tarquins led by Lucius Junius Brutus, the banishment of the royal family, and the founding of the Roman republic."

The paintings of her rape are sort of pretty, la-de-da, sort of things.

[Image: 23-1654-1726-antonio-bellucci-the-rape-o...a-1700.jpg]

Rape in the bible is equally romanticised as if the woman doesn't matter at all. And she didn't.

Here's a painting of the Rape of Tamar, daughter of King David.

[Image: Rape_of_Tamar_-_Le_Seur.jpg]

This is one of the rapes in the Bubble that you could read up on. Tamar has no voice at all throughout most of the story. It's sick.

Thank you, yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. They are rendered beautifully and not something I'm that skilled at but my point is that they aren't the vile, violent depictions they should be. It's my belief that the romanticizing of rape is at the core of perpetuating it. The "she really wanted it anyway" mentality of that she was not a victim but a partner in fun and games. :/

16-01-2016, 07:46 PM
You could do one on the Judge "Deborah". She was responsible for organizing the 'Confederation" of Hebrew (tribal) groups (before the kingdoms). She was in fact, the "mother" of Israel, and was an historical person, (whereas, Abraham was not). Of course she never got any credit for what she did.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post