Research for "big" churches (ones with TVs and such)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I was wondering, as I was considering it for a little while, but one of my manuscripts for potential books involves things that it might be useful to learn about big churches and how they do things. I know I can just look it up, or for that matter I probably know enough as-is for what I need.

Should I take up a person's offer to see a church service at a "big" church (for my town) that fits (music, televisions, bible passages on TVs instead of needing bibles, etc)--or just go with what I know?

I'm asking you all because I know I have a side motive.... I find one of the members attractive, and she only dates those that go to the church... so I'm not thinking "clearly" and feel like I'm just trying to justify going there to try and pick up someone.... all the while "lying" as people will assume that I'm religious when I'm not.

So should I go, or just stick with being "truthful" to my beliefs and not? Like I said, I just can't think clearly, and need outside insight to make sure my decision is clear.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Post pics so we can better advise you. Big Grin

You certainly wouldn't be the first guy to go to church because of a hoo hah. Do you really want to be hooked up with a church goer?

As to your other question: if you're writing a book, don't go with what you think you already know. Go and observe what's going on. Chances are they won't pick you to be the next human sacrifice. Evil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-08-2012, 03:28 PM
RE: Research for "big" churches (ones with TVs and such)
(30-08-2012 03:22 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Post pics so we can better advise you. Big Grin

You certainly wouldn't be the first guy to go to church because of a hoo hah. Do you really want to be hooked up with a church goer?

As to your other question: if you're writing a book, don't go with what you think you already know. Go and observe what's going on. Chances are they won't pick you to be the next human sacrifice. Evil_monster

Well she's cute to me.... although there's no pictures... she doesn't even post them on facebook. And it is a fundamentalist church, but I've heard, not 100% certain, that her brother is gay, and she was "outcast" for a bit for being bisexual in college.... but then who knows with rumours (well, the gay brother I overheard from someone who was listing all the gay people she knew--and she goes to the church). I can tell from her parents that they are VERY (parents) religious with some things enough to make the topic of "what makes a minister a minister" become a heated topic with raised voices.

Although the whole hooked up with a churchgoer thing... she is a teacher, and has some qualities that make me wonder if she really is that "religious" or if she's like many others who just believe there's a "god"--I've never had that conversation with her so I don't know. Although she seems to want people from her church.... but as she lives with her parents (she's older than me--she's 36-37), so it could be a parental approval thing more than a she-approves thing.
30-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Ah, yes. My own experience was dating outside my specific denomination was difficult, but dating a non-believer was just plain sinful and destined for failure.

If she has some closet liberal leanings, maybe there's hope for her. But it sounds as if she's too enmeshed with her parents to be willing to disappoint them.

Not sayin' don't try. Just don't be devastated if it turns sour rather quickly.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-08-2012, 03:37 PM
(30-08-2012 03:32 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ah, yes. My own experience was dating outside my specific denomination was difficult, but dating a non-believer was just plain sinful and destined for failure.

If she has some closet liberal leanings, maybe there's hope for her. But it sounds as if she's too enmeshed with her parents to be willing to disappoint them.

Not sayin' don't try. Just don't be devastated if it turns sour rather quickly.

Oh yeah, I would really hope it worked out (I'm talking my friends, her friends, they all think we're perfect for each other [I said "then TELL HER"].... and yeah in a number of ways we are, others, probably not so much), but I know there could be some serious issues for her....and me.... even though as just "friends" would be fun too, as we have a number of things in common (we've frequently gone to the same things, just not together). Really her (potential sexuality and brothers), her views on politics I know of (democrat--won't vote republican, goes for her parents as well), well there could be a chance. But who knows.

Thanks for replying by the way Smile
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
31-08-2012, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2012 12:16 AM by Azaraith.)
I wouldn't do it with the idea of getting with the girl. If she's "fundy" enough to only date people that go to church / that church, she's going to be a handful and will get on your nerves before long at all with her Jesus adoration. And she would probably not take your lack of belief well. I could imagine it working with someone that isn't extremely crazy about their religion or strict, but not an "I only date people that go to my church" fundy.

Edit: Wait - she's 36+ and still lives with her parents? That'd be a no-go for me - she's obviously a dependent personality and would expect to be taken care of (and well). She's probably waiting to get married and latch onto someone rather than move out on her own and live her own life. Makes you wonder since she's not done so by 36........................................

Better without God, and happier too.
31-08-2012, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2012 05:35 AM by elemts.)
(31-08-2012 12:13 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  I wouldn't do it with the idea of getting with the girl. If she's "fundy" enough to only date people that go to church / that church, she's going to be a handful and will get on your nerves before long at all with her Jesus adoration. And she would probably not take your lack of belief well. I could imagine it working with someone that isn't extremely crazy about their religion or strict, but not an "I only date people that go to my church" fundy.

Edit: Wait - she's 36+ and still lives with her parents? That'd be a no-go for me - she's obviously a dependent personality and would expect to be taken care of (and well). She's probably waiting to get married and latch onto someone rather than move out on her own and live her own life. Makes you wonder since she's not done so by 36........................................

Married and divorced by like 25-30 (or so). And I don't know why she divorced, but I just know she has had one. But she goes out and does things (spends the night other places, travels on her own--to large cities [New York])--really though it's a cost thing. Almost everyone has a roomate these days, even people in a one-bedroom apartment (I know a few)! Once you hit your 30s, your friends are normally married, so your roomates would be "strangers". So her living at home isn't that unusual here.