Researchers use world's smallest diamonds to make wires three atoms wide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Researchers use world's smallest diamonds to make wires three atoms wide
Quote: Scientists at Stanford University and the Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory have discovered a way to use diamondoids - the smallest possible bits of diamond - to assemble atoms into the thinnest possible electrical wires, just three atoms wide.

By grabbing various types of atoms and putting them together LEGO-style, the new technique could potentially be used to build tiny wires for a wide range of applications, including fabrics that generate electricity, optoelectronic devices that employ both electricity and light, and superconducting materials that conduct electricity without any loss. The scientists reported their results today in Nature Materials.

"What we have shown here is that we can make tiny, conductive wires of the smallest possible size that essentially assemble themselves," said Hao Yan, a Stanford postdoctoral researcher and lead author of the paper. "The process is a simple, one-pot synthesis. You dump the ingredients together and you can get results in half an hour. It's almost as if thediamondoids know where they want to go."

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-world-small...atoms.html

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
27-12-2016, 10:05 AM
RE: Researchers use world's smallest diamonds to make wires three atoms wide
(27-12-2016 09:26 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
Quote: Scientists at Stanford University and the Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory have discovered a way to use diamondoids - the smallest possible bits of diamond - to assemble atoms into the thinnest possible electrical wires, just three atoms wide.

By grabbing various types of atoms and putting them together LEGO-style, the new technique could potentially be used to build tiny wires for a wide range of applications, including fabrics that generate electricity, optoelectronic devices that employ both electricity and light, and superconducting materials that conduct electricity without any loss. The scientists reported their results today in Nature Materials.

"What we have shown here is that we can make tiny, conductive wires of the smallest possible size that essentially assemble themselves," said Hao Yan, a Stanford postdoctoral researcher and lead author of the paper. "The process is a simple, one-pot synthesis. You dump the ingredients together and you can get results in half an hour. It's almost as if thediamondoids know where they want to go."

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-world-small...atoms.html

Wow. If they're stable, there could be all sorts of medical applications ... seizures, cardiac conduction disorders, pain suppression ... ? Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Very cool!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-12-2016, 10:24 AM
(27-12-2016 10:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wow. If they're stable, there could be all sorts of medical applications ... seizures, cardiac conduction disorders, pain suppression ... ? Thumbsup

Monofilament booby traps? Evil_monster

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-12-2016, 10:29 AM
(27-12-2016 10:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 09:26 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  http://phys.org/news/2016-12-world-small...atoms.html

Wow. If they're stable, there could be all sorts of medical applications ... seizures, cardiac conduction disorders, pain suppression ... ? Thumbsup

Brain implants?

27-12-2016, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2016 11:04 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
What they call diamondoid, I call adamantane.

Cool stuff though. I am a bit surprised they didn't mention what the current load could be. I imagine in the uA or nA range. For any practical application, they would need to determine that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
27-12-2016, 01:39 PM
(27-12-2016 10:24 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 10:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wow. If they're stable, there could be all sorts of medical applications ... seizures, cardiac conduction disorders, pain suppression ... ? Thumbsup

Monofilament booby traps? Evil_monster

Holy shit did I laugh at this... because the same thought occurred to me.

You can tell which of us on here grew up reading tooooo many sci-fi books! Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-12-2016, 01:55 PM
(27-12-2016 01:39 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 10:24 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Monofilament booby traps? Evil_monster

Holy shit did I laugh at this... because the same thought occurred to me.

You can tell which of us on here grew up reading tooooo many sci-fi books! Laugh out load

I had the same thought. You could clothesline someone through the neck and there would hardly be a parting line. Freaky.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
27-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Now, add Bristol U's "atomic" diamond batteries into the mix, with a few carbon nano tubes and buckyballs maybe, and we may be getting up there with sci-fi!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
27-12-2016, 02:31 PM
(27-12-2016 01:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 01:39 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Holy shit did I laugh at this... because the same thought occurred to me.

I had the same thought. You could clothesline someone through the neck and there would hardly be a parting line. Freaky.

That's a scene from one of the famous cyberpunk novel/stories. Can't remember which one though.

Cyberpunk, Snowcrash, Shadowrun (heretical to some). The 80's wasn't just bad pop music. Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky