Researchers use world's smallest diamonds to make wires three atoms wide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2016, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2016 03:25 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: Researchers use world's smallest diamonds to make wires three atoms wide
(27-12-2016 02:31 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 01:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I had the same thought. You could clothesline someone through the neck and there would hardly be a parting line. Freaky.

That's a scene from one of the famous cyberpunk novel/stories. Can't remember which one though.

Cyberpunk, Snowcrash, Shadowrun (heretical to some). The 80's wasn't just bad pop music. Thumbsup

Monofilament weaponry is found in a number of older sci-fi books, going back to Heinlein, I think.

But yes, I did enjoy its use in Snow Crash. I'm always amazed when I meet fans of sci-fi who haven't read that book.

Edit to Add: ...or atheists in general, actually, since a big chunk of the book's ending is an absolute shredding of Christian fundamentalism.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2016, 03:32 PM
(27-12-2016 02:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 02:31 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  That's a scene from one of the famous cyberpunk novel/stories. Can't remember which one though.

Cyberpunk, Snowcrash, Shadowrun (heretical to some). The 80's wasn't just bad pop music. Thumbsup

Monofilament weaponry is found in a number of older sci-fi books, going back to Heinlein, I think.

But yes, I did enjoy its use in Snow Crash. I'm always amazed when I meet fans of sci-fi who haven't read that book.

Edit to Add: ...or atheists in general, actually, since a big chunk of the book's ending is an absolute shredding of Christian fundamentalism.

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll listen to REASON..."

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-12-2016, 03:40 PM
(27-12-2016 03:32 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 02:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Monofilament weaponry is found in a number of older sci-fi books, going back to Heinlein, I think.

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll listen to REASON..."

[Image: oFuaE1N.jpg]

(I know REASON was mounted on a ship, but I just love that jpeg. Big Grin )

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-12-2016, 03:48 PM
(27-12-2016 02:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 02:31 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  That's a scene from one of the famous cyberpunk novel/stories. Can't remember which one though.

Been a sci-fi fan for about 60 years, never even heard of Neal Stephenson! Have now, will rectify my omission when the book arrives!

I am sure there was a McCaffrey story, in the "Talent" series I think, where monofilaments are used to prevent pursuit.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post