Resident Evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Resident Evil
RE has always been a long time obsession of mine. Back when it first came out for the PSX I would play it non-stopped until I died. See... I didn't have a memory card, so one false step... SWIPE... hunter lopped off my head and I had to start the game over.

Anyway, thanks to the PSN, I'm going to play through them... all. Hopefully anyway. I've got RE Director's Cut, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE4, and RE5.

I'm running into a few problems, though... mainly RE0 (because it's not on the PSN). I have REmake on my GC, so that's not a problem. Is finding a physical RE0 my only option?

Also, I have some questions about some of the other titles. I want to play RE... not that shooter spin-off crap they released. With that, are the RE:Outbreaks shooters? What about RE:Revelations?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 12:29 PM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Resident Evil
(04-03-2014 01:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  RE has always been a long time obsession of mine. Back when it first came out for the PSX I would play it non-stopped until I died. See... I didn't have a memory card, so one false step... SWIPE... hunter lopped off my head and I had to start the game over.

Anyway, thanks to the PSN, I'm going to play through them... all. Hopefully anyway. I've got RE Director's Cut, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE4, and RE5.

I'm running into a few problems, though... mainly RE0 (because it's not on the PSN). I have REmake on my GC, so that's not a problem. Is finding a physical RE0 my only option?

Also, I have some questions about some of the other titles. I want to play RE... not that shooter spin-off crap they released. With that, are the RE:Outbreaks shooters? What about RE:Revelations?

With Resident Evil Zero, you have two options. You can play the original on a GameCube or use the backwards compatibility of the Wii, or you can get the re-release for the Wii called Resident Evil Archive: Resident Evil Zero. However there was nothing added to the Wii release, so if you already have or can get a hold of the GameCube version, just do that.

Resident Evil: Outbreak was a PS2 online co-operative game, so keep that in mind. This game was released before Resident Evil 4, so it will be more like playing the PSone era games. Also it was designed to be a online multi-player game, which unless they released an updated version on PSN, that online functionality will no longer be available; and you'll be forced to rely upon shoddy AI for your allies. So it's not one of the rail-shooter entries in the series, but it's not a traditional Resident Evil title either. If this doesn't sound like your cup of tee, then you should also skip Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, as it's essentially the same idea.

Resident Evil: Revelations was originally released on the Nintendo 3DS, and it plays very much like Resident Evil 5 (it uses the same engine, scaled down for the handheld). That being said there were console HD ports of the game, so if you enjoyed the game-play of RE5, you'll feel right at home.

If you want to avoid the light-gun rail-shooters, then you need to skip...

RE: Survivor (PSone)
RE: Gaiden (Gameboy Color)
RE: Dead Aim (PS2)
RE: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
RE: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
05-03-2014, 07:40 AM
(04-03-2014 11:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 01:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  RE has always been a long time obsession of mine. Back when it first came out for the PSX I would play it non-stopped until I died. See... I didn't have a memory card, so one false step... SWIPE... hunter lopped off my head and I had to start the game over.

With Resident Evil Zero, you have two options. You can play the original on a GameCube or use the backwards compatibility of the Wii, or you can get the re-release for the Wii called Resident Evil Archive: Resident Evil Zero. However there was nothing added to the Wii release, so if you already have or can get a hold of the GameCube version, just do that.

Resident Evil: Outbreak was a PS2 online co-operative game, so keep that in mind. This game was released before Resident Evil 4, so it will be more like playing the PSone era games. Also it was designed to be a online multi-player game, which unless they released an updated version on PSN, that online functionality will no longer be available; and you'll be forced to rely upon shoddy AI for your allies. So it's not one of the rail-shooter entries in the series, but it's not a traditional Resident Evil title either. If this doesn't sound like your cup of tee, then you should also skip Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, as it's essentially the same idea.

Resident Evil: Outbreak was originally released on the Nintendo 3DS, and it plays very much like Resident Evil 5 (it uses the same engine, scaled down for the handheld). That being said there were console HD ports of the game, so if you enjoyed the game-play of RE5, you'll feel right at home.

You rock. This is exactly what I was looking for.

What about Revelations?

05-03-2014, 12:28 PM
(05-03-2014 07:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 11:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  With Resident Evil Zero, you have two options. You can play the original on a GameCube or use the backwards compatibility of the Wii, or you can get the re-release for the Wii called Resident Evil Archive: Resident Evil Zero. However there was nothing added to the Wii release, so if you already have or can get a hold of the GameCube version, just do that.

Resident Evil: Outbreak was originally released on the Nintendo 3DS, and it plays very much like Resident Evil 5 (it uses the same engine, scaled down for the handheld). That being said there were console HD ports of the game, so if you enjoyed the game-play of RE5, you'll feel right at home.

You rock. This is exactly what I was looking for.

What about Revelations?

My bad, must have made a copy-paste mistake while formatting. The last paragraph, about the RE5 clone on the 3DS? That was RE: Revelations.

05-03-2014, 04:47 PM
(05-03-2014 12:28 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 07:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You rock. This is exactly what I was looking for.

What about Revelations?

My bad, must have made a copy-paste mistake while formatting. The last paragraph, about the RE5 clone on the 3DS? That was RE: Revelations.

Ahh ok.

Would you think that REvelations is worth the $30 price tag?

05-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Should probably make that choice after you've played 5. I played both, didn't like 5 at all. Then later when it came out, didn't like Revelations either, didn't even finish it.
05-03-2014, 05:53 PM
(05-03-2014 05:25 PM)AphexandCambria Wrote:  Should probably make that choice after you've played 5. I played both, didn't like 5 at all. Then later when it came out, didn't like Revelations either, didn't even finish it.

In the volcano with Wesker right now in 5. Haven't been that impressed. I enjoyed 4 a lot more.

05-03-2014, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 10:30 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(05-03-2014 05:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 05:25 PM)AphexandCambria Wrote:  Should probably make that choice after you've played 5. I played both, didn't like 5 at all. Then later when it came out, didn't like Revelations either, didn't even finish it.

In the volcano with Wesker right now in 5. Haven't been that impressed. I enjoyed 4 a lot more.

Agreed, thinking really hard about getting the RE4 HD re-release that just came out on the PC a week ago. I want my Red 9 dammit.

[Image: 1390322723-re4-pc-pre-order-image.jpg]

05-03-2014, 11:37 PM
RE4 is god tier.
06-03-2014, 07:50 AM
(05-03-2014 11:37 PM)AphexandCambria Wrote:  RE4 is god tier.

Yes. But, IMO, REmake stands alone.