Resistance to evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2012, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2012 08:49 AM by Chas.)
Resistance to evolution
I don't think that the resistance to, and denial of, evolutionary theory is cognitive.

It appears to be primarily emotional. Neo-Darwinism denies any purpose or goal to life and people can't accept that for self-centered, parochial, emotional 'reasons'.

One has to accept responsibility for creating purpose and meaning for a life that doesn't have an external meaning. This appears to be just too hard for most people; it creates fear. Most people don't even look at the evidence - they won't or can't.

Edit: Am I just stating the obvious?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
26-10-2012, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2012 09:46 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Resistance to evolution
(26-10-2012 08:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think that the resistance to, and denial of, evolutionary theory is cognitive.

It appears to be primarily emotional. Neo-Darwinism denies any purpose or goal to life and people can't accept that for self-centered, parochial, emotional 'reasons'.

One has to accept responsibility for creating purpose and meaning for a life that doesn't have an external meaning. This appears to be just too hard for most people; it creates fear. Most people don't even look at the evidence - they won't or can't.

No. Its emotional. It requires jettisoning a couple things that are primary to our world view.
a. If there is a "meaning" it's not about "individuals". Evolution is about "groups", (or large groups) and in 2012, that's not possible, for "you are special" (your "immortal soul") worldview peeps.
b. It means no personal god is in charge. It's the cognitive dissonance that rears it's head, as yesterday with that bullshit of "god intends the baby of rape" crap. The situation does all make perfect sense with one thing. .... remove "god", and go from there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
26-10-2012, 09:11 AM
(26-10-2012 08:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  Edit: Am I just stating the obvious?

Yes, but this is the place to state it. And the more often it's stated, the better.

(26-10-2012 09:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... remove "god", and go from there.

Shocking

...b ...but... can I keep Jeebus?

Surely, the baby Jeebus evolved from god?! Can I keep it? Can I?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-10-2012, 09:19 AM
You know what else I also find funny (to put it quite loosely). I've heard that the initial reaction of the Church to the Origin of Species was centered much more on what cruel place the world actually was, than on the idea of evolution. While evolution could be accommodated within a Christian worldview, the realisation that the world is a cruel, merciless place where most creatures are living in constant danger, hungry and usually die before they get old, is too difficult to reconcile with and all-loving god?

So when people start spouting crap about irreducible complexity, how is that for irreducible complexity and a benevolent god:

I think after watching something like this, it should be much easier to accept that there is no intelligent design, than that there actually is someone capable of designing such torture... and worse yet, someone we should worship...

But you are so right about the meaning, its lack is among the most difficult things to accept; as much as Christianity is supposedly teaching humility, it's actually the opposite - a desperate attempt to convince ourselves that we are something more than we are (scumWink)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Resistance to evolution
Resistance is futile.

Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-10-2012, 10:07 AM
(26-10-2012 09:47 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Resistance is futile.

Drinking Beverage

You will be assimilated.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Resistance to evolution
(26-10-2012 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 09:47 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Resistance is futile.

Drinking Beverage

You will be assimilated.

Maybe so, but you will just be ass...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Resistance to the organized mass can be effected only by the man who is as well organized in his individuality as the mass itself.
Carl Jung

The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
Woodrow Wilson

Belief like any other moving body follows the path of least resistance.
Samuel Butler

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
Mark Twain

I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Resist anyway.
Bucky

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Hmmm ummm what?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
26-10-2012, 03:19 PM
(26-10-2012 08:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think that the resistance to, and denial of, evolutionary theory is cognitive.

Well, it's good to state the obvious in matters like these, I think.

Conversations I have had with theists have made me come to the same conclusion: they don't want it to be true, because they think it makes their lives meaningless, don't want to take responsibility for their actions, and they want a skydaddy to love them and make them feel special, and that includes the whole earth and its contents being built as a playground especially for them.

"If creationism isn't true, I will be sad. I don't want to be sad. Therefore, creationism is true." -apparently, what many people think.

Somehow, atheists still manage to find meaningful things to do with their lives, though...

A cousin of mine tried to tell me evolution is false and there is no believable evidence for it. Then she went on about God having a plan, God loves us, I just need to let god into my life, Jesus rode a velociraptor, t-rex and mrs. t-rex fit on noah's ark, the earth is 6000 years old, god thinks you're a special fucking snowflake, etc. and everything she said came back to the "feeling in her heart" that god exists. She didn't seem to understand why I thought everything she said was stupid and that she was severely in denial, and kind of struck me like a young child with fingers in her ears, yelling "lalalala not listening!" when I tried to reason with her. Same thing has happened to me with a lot of other people, but that's just the most recent time. But yes, I think there is some sort of emotional block keeping people from accepting the real life evidence of such things.

I had an awesome anthropology professor once that was very outspoken in his atheism. He often made fun of people who thought satan put dinosaur bones in the earth to confuse us. Some professor-rating website had reviews of him saying what an awful godless person he is, saying the earth is more than 6,000 years old, etc. Good times.
[+] 5 users Like amyb's post