Resistance to evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 01:13 AM
RE: Resistance to evolution
Is there a word to describe the feeling that: "I am concerned about an issue, but feel safe in the belief that somebody smarter than I is working to fix it"?

I've got that feeling right now, you see I want to jump in, but I am sure there are smarter, more qualified people than I who are better suited working on the issue.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
29-10-2012, 01:46 AM
RE: Resistance to evolution
(28-10-2012 09:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 08:50 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  The selection for or against traits is done by the environment by which the organism lives.

that isn't a false statement, however if the environment is the beginning triggering factor one would run into the problem of what triggered before x and before x etc etc.

My statement was incomplete because I didn't want to spend time counting in all the factors that can change an organism. I did include predators, but left out all the possible relations organisms have with one another that also influences evolution. Eg symbiotic relationships.

So it's not just the environment or ecosystem, it's just one factor of many.

Also it doesn't lead to an infinite regress because this world and the time life has spent on it is finite.

(28-10-2012 09:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  The ideological implications of that kind of explanation means that change is not something that we are in control of. When we humans or any other animal are going about our daily lives we are purposely making changes or making changes without knowing it. The idea of a social or environment deterministic notion disregards the notion of purposeful change that humans can make on ourselves and the world around us, for example: capitalism is not natural, we can overthrow the people in power and create a better system. So yes your statement is not wrong but it's not completely correct either.

The world is changed by and changes species.

A couple of examples of changes produced by humans, using evolution, and interfering with the envrionment.
Consider Dogs, pigeons, and cats are examples where humans took over the selection process, and bred the animals in such ways as to produce their variety we have now. However when this type of selection takes place it is no longer natural selection. It becomes evolution by artificial selection.

Another event is human beings industrialization and the peppered moth. Where our purposeful goal of producing goods, indirectly blackened the trees which lead to the moths change from a light patter to a drastic dark color.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post