Resisting Religious Pressure on Campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Resisting Religious Pressure on Campus
Hi all! New to the forum, long time podcast listener, but I've never really had an experience that would warrant me to come here to share and, I suppose, back-up on my stance on the issue. I'm an incoming freshman at a secular state university that recieved this email just a few days before I move in on Saturday:

Christians on Campus warmly welcomes you to campus!

We are a registered student organization on campus and our goal is to provide you with a loving Christian community where we can freely pursue and experience the Lord Jesus together.

Join us and other incoming freshmen for our Freshman Connect event on Tuesday, August 20 at 5:00 PM on the 3rd floor of the Student Union for dinner and activities.

Register now at our website: http://www.ChristiansOnCampus.org

See you soon!

Christians on Campus

To which I sent this reply:

Hello Christians on Campus,

First of all, thank you for the welcome to campus! That being said, I'd like very much to be taken off of the listserv or CC for this group so that I don't receive any more emails and would like to know exactly how I was selected to get this email in the first place. On such a culturally diverse campus, it would shock me that every incoming student would get an email from Christians on Campus, and it alarms me that such presumptions would be made if I was selected from any other criteria. Why me? Who else was sent this message? Is it because I'm black??

I have nothing against your organization, but your no doubt well-intentioned message might not seem so welcoming to a student that is by their own religious affiliation (or non-affiliation) excluded from the club, from this golden opportunity to connect with your "loving Christian community" where they can "freely pursue and experience the Lord Jesus".

To reiterate, I appreciate the welcome, but I am very suspect as to the purpose and ethicality of a religious campus group freely given the opportunity to recruit students based on no prior given consent to be contacted by non-secular groups at such a stately and secular state university.

P.S. I will not be able to attend the Tuesday night event on the third floor of the union due to a prior commitment with my local Wiccan Coven. It's our monthly "celebration" of the full moon. If you'd like to send out an email inviting everyone on campus out to the abandoned woods by the Old Mill, I'd be glad to send you full details on the event.

To be clear, I'm not black nor do I attend the mentioned Coven, but I like to have fun. Most recently I was sent this explanation:

You received the email from Christians on Campus, a registered student organization at the Ohio State University, because you are a registered incoming freshman. There is a service at Ohio State that allows all student organizations to have access to this information. We have been coordinating with the university to do this kind of emailing for years and there is nothing unethical about it because this service is available to all organizations on campus.

Since you are not interested in our student organization, we will go ahead and remove you from our list. Good luck with your college career.

Now, besides my liberties taken in the "PC" department with some of my joking comments, is it not right for me to question why I, much less, as the latest reply suggests, every student on one of the largest state university campuses in the country is sent this recruitment by a non-secular, largely manipulative and divisive group just because they're a student organization? I've received no news or welcome from the Ukulele Club, I can tell you that for sure! Am I just over-reacting?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2013, 01:00 PM
RE: Resisting Religious Pressure on Campus
(12-08-2013 10:27 PM)TheYellowDart Wrote:  Now, besides my liberties taken in the "PC" department with some of my joking comments, is it not right for me to question why I, much less, as the latest reply suggests, every student on one of the largest state university campuses in the country is sent this recruitment by a non-secular, largely manipulative and divisive group just because they're a student organization? I've received no news or welcome from the Ukulele Club, I can tell you that for sure! Am I just over-reacting?

Sure, question it. Ask student government and University administration why every student group with an agenda to push has access to this mailing list. Ask if you have equal access to a University-wide contact list to promote your individual religious, political, or economic interest. If not, why not? What gives an organization greater rights than a person? You have every right to ask these questions.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
16-08-2013, 09:20 PM
(15-08-2013 01:00 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 10:27 PM)TheYellowDart Wrote:  Now, besides my liberties taken in the "PC" department with some of my joking comments, is it not right for me to question why I, much less, as the latest reply suggests, every student on one of the largest state university campuses in the country is sent this recruitment by a non-secular, largely manipulative and divisive group just because they're a student organization? I've received no news or welcome from the Ukulele Club, I can tell you that for sure! Am I just over-reacting?

Sure, question it. Ask student government and University administration why every student group with an agenda to push has access to this mailing list. Ask if you have equal access to a University-wide contact list to promote your individual religious, political, or economic interest. If not, why not? What gives an organization greater rights than a person? You have every right to ask these questions.

The organizations usually have charters set up with the school which gives them access to these sorts of benefits. Individuals may get this info by creating a school organization with a charter approved by the dean and president.

He can question it, but I feel the tone, while joking, could be construed in text as indignant and peevish. I agree with everything he said, but the tone can be taken out of context.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
16-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I will be interested to hear when you get an unsolicited email from the university's secular club.

But I'll not hold my breath.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Mailing list access can be unusually open for state schools in particular, depending on the state. When I was a student, I did receive emails from all sorts of student orgs and even businesses that purchased lists from the university I attended. State law treats all state records as public information. After some back and forth in the University on policies they could enact which were consistent with this public information provision, the University developed opt out processes and started including informing Freshman of the option to opt out of those lists at orientation. They still have to honor the CAN-SPAM act, which is why they have to honor your removal request.
18-08-2013, 04:55 PM
As a student I believe you info is pretty much public information, at least for other students? My email address is public through the University website. This makes it difficult to really ask for your privacy but that shouldn't stop you from speaking with someone about this particular incident.