Resources [Sub]forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Resources [Sub]forum
Inspired by KC's thread about a Christian Theology subforum, I found that I really liked the idea of having a place to go to where information is collected- a library of sorts. This could contain sections for Science, History, Theology, Sociology, Archaeology, and whatever else. I think Wikipedia is too broad, but linking to Wikipedia isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I realize that the information is out there for people to find, but locating it and keeping track of it is the difficulty.

I also am thinking that debate shouldn't take place in this forum, just references. But, maybe debate should take place on the legitimacy of the information being referenced.

Thoughts? Ideas? Is this pointless? Maybe you already know a place that does this better?

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
RE: Resources [Sub]forum
I've been talking about this from the beginning of my membership.
No one thought it was a good idea. I still don't get why.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
because even if you dedicate such a subforum as a pure collection of ressources, we will get discussions. Not just about the ressource itself but also about the content and it will be simply like another discussion subforum and the real ressources will be just as difficult to find as to use the search function and google. Although I don't count that as difficult.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
There are ways around that.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I never noticed this suggestion Lucradis, sorry =p
I say it's a great idea but it will definitely be something where the moderators might need to condense and combine threads for organization. I think if the purpose is reference it would probably be seen as a good idea as long as we have a few people crazy enough to want to keep it in order.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I think we could set up a system where all posts must be moderator approved. And with having a rules list set up at the top of the forum we could effectively control the pages from being cluttered with cumbersome discussion Smile

I mentioned it way back in the suggestions thread. It traumatized me.

Doesn't matter anyways, I don't think it would have worked back then with the small user base and it being just Unbeliever, Stark, and Deep.

01-04-2012, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 04:56 PM by Lilith Pride.)
There's a lot of useful links we've discussed in the past. For instance you didn't know about Khan academy until I mentioned it later well after it was first brought up. I think it would definitely be worth the trouble. We would also often have people referencing it for arguments rather than forcing someone to read through pages upon pages to find some references they remember on the site.

I'm all for the idea, too bad I didn't notice it back when you first mentioned it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
01-04-2012, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 05:31 PM by kineo.)
If it was done, would it be a full forum with a subforum with each type subject for reference? Or would it be a single forum?

I would be willing to help moderate it if you needed a moderator to approve posts if that's the way it would be decided to keep it clean. I don't think it should be a place for discussions, personally- just references: links to videos, articles, web pages, etc. We'd also want a disclaimer saying that just because it's linked and approved doesn't necessarily mean it's legitimate information. But I also think that a moderator should do their best to make sure that the information in the post is valid.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I could get behind the idea. We would have make sure it was done properly though. It would be pointless if it just became a massive mess and no-one could find anything.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
01-04-2012, 05:55 PM
yeah, sounds good to me. It would need to be approval only to keep the chatter in other places.

Not sure whether to make it single forum or multiple.

Single forum could work just as well since you can search the forum for what your after.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss