Resources/Thoughts on Cognitive Dissonance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Resources/Thoughts on Cognitive Dissonance
I've recently started classes back up again for the Fall semester at a large evangelical college (didn't know when I enrolled four years ago that I'd be an atheist now Gasp ). Anyways, I happen to be talking a general Chemistry course as well as a Physics course, in which I'm sure I'll be hearing about some... interesting science, since my college strongly adheres to young-earth creationism. In fact, one of the interests that my physics professors said in regards to himself is that his is a YEC apologist. Facepalm

This, also with the fact that literally all (to my knowledge anyways) of the teachers that I have had over the last for years all believe in YEC (among other ridiculous things) has made me curious about how they deal with the cognitive dissonance that I'd guess is/was in their lives at some point. Personally, I don't think I heard the term "cognitive dissonance" before joining this forum, but did experience it during my own deconversion.

My question to you all is if you had any thoughts or knew of any more in-depth resources (papers, books, etc) regarding how seemingly intelligent people deal with cognitive dissonance (if that's the correct phrase to use here) in their life whenever confronted by science, or if they just reject it since into not between the covers of their bible. One example of this comes from a friend of mine who is studying psychology, including how changes of states in our brains causes emotional and behavioral changes, but do not seem to consider that this conflicts with their idea of the God given soul being the cause of those things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
27-08-2015, 10:50 PM
RE: Resources/Thoughts on Cognitive Dissonance
I don't know if you have seen the other thread(s) in which I discuss the phenomenon, but my (liberal Christian) geneticist fiancee actively likes to tease my (evangelical Christian) chemical/nuclear engineer father on his YEC positions by engaging him on chemistry-related subjects she can then use to steer him into "mental icebergs" of things that would instantly prove his YEC positions wrong, just so we can "hear the pop" as the fuse blows and his brain derails before running into the 'berg.

He won't let me engage him on such subjects because he knows I'm an atheist, and as you've read, he and I had a few problems on the subject of science in the past. Like most YECs, he believes that materialist sciences are related to atheism, and simply writes off everything I know as "belief" related to my atheism. Since he adores my Beloved (I think they see her churchgoing as hope for me, someday), and her Christianity means he can't pre-reject her ideas, she is amazingly good at getting him into those "crashes". He doesn't grasp that she's doing it on purpose, so she can do it to him over and over again, wearing the tiny little smirk that only I recognize.

I love that woman so much.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-08-2015, 06:24 AM
(27-08-2015 10:22 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  I've recently started classes back up again for the Fall semester at a large evangelical college (didn't know when I enrolled four years ago that I'd be an atheist now Gasp ). Anyways, I happen to be talking a general Chemistry course as well as a Physics course, in which I'm sure I'll be hearing about some... interesting science, since my college strongly adheres to young-earth creationism. In fact, one of the interests that my physics professors said in regards to himself is that his is a YEC apologist. Facepalm

This, also with the fact that literally all (to my knowledge anyways) of the teachers that I have had over the last for years all believe in YEC (among other ridiculous things) has made me curious about how they deal with the cognitive dissonance that I'd guess is/was in their lives at some point. Personally, I don't think I heard the term "cognitive dissonance" before joining this forum, but did experience it during my own deconversion.

My question to you all is if you had any thoughts or knew of any more in-depth resources (papers, books, etc) regarding how seemingly intelligent people deal with cognitive dissonance (if that's the correct phrase to use here) in their life whenever confronted by science, or if they just reject it since into not between the covers of their bible. One example of this comes from a friend of mine who is studying psychology, including how changes of states in our brains causes emotional and behavioral changes, but do not seem to consider that this conflicts with their idea of the God given soul being the cause of those things.

I'm also taking chemistry and physics, but at a secular university. We can compare notes if you think something sounds fishy. =)

But about your cognitive dissonance, I am a theist, and my personal mentor is a religious man (Jewish) who has a PhD in Physics from a highly esteemed university and was on the faculty at another ivy league school for many years. He says that if he's tinkering in religion and science together, he requires the religion to match up to the science.

One simply must treat science as a pure subject that is untouched by any religious bias. Then, AFTER the experiments are done, and AFTER the papers are written and peer reviewed, one can see if the science can also make sense in the context of religion.

Challenge your professors to provide peer reviewed material. Challenge them to provide material from other scientists that may explain a concept better, even if it takes them away from their religious agenda. Challenge them to provide all of the positive and negative writings about this subject so you can personally review the data and draw your own conclusions. If they're not able to do that, then I'd start writing a letter to the editor of a large science magazine. =)
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
28-08-2015, 07:07 AM
(28-08-2015 06:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 10:22 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  I've recently started classes back up again for the Fall semester at a large evangelical college (didn't know when I enrolled four years ago that I'd be an atheist now Gasp ). Anyways, I happen to be talking a general Chemistry course as well as a Physics course, in which I'm sure I'll be hearing about some... interesting science, since my college strongly adheres to young-earth creationism. In fact, one of the interests that my physics professors said in regards to himself is that his is a YEC apologist. Facepalm

I'm also taking chemistry and physics, but at a secular university. We can compare notes if you think something sounds fishy. =)

But about your cognitive dissonance, I am a theist, and my personal mentor is a religious man (Jewish) who has a PhD in Physics from a highly esteemed university and was on the faculty at another ivy league school for many years. He says that if he's tinkering in religion and science together, he requires the religion to match up to the science.

One simply must treat science as a pure subject that is untouched by any religious bias. Then, AFTER the experiments are done, and AFTER the papers are written and peer reviewed, one can see if the science can also make sense in the context of religion.

Challenge your professors to provide peer reviewed material. Challenge them to provide material from other scientists that may explain a concept better, even if it takes them away from their religious agenda. Challenge them to provide all of the positive and negative writings about this subject so you can personally review the data and draw your own conclusions. If they're not able to do that, then I'd start writing a letter to the editor of a large science magazine. =)

...or you could just transfer to a secular university.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-08-2015, 07:11 AM
I would not take "science" courses at that evangelical university. I would get myself out of those classes and take two other ones instead and then start looking for a secular college to transfer to.
28-08-2015, 07:19 AM
(28-08-2015 06:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  One simply must treat science as a pure subject that is untouched by any religious bias. Then, AFTER the experiments are done, and AFTER the papers are written and peer reviewed, one can see if the science can also make sense in the context of religion.

That's kind of backwards though, you see if religion makes sense in the context of science- hint, it doesn't.

The defensive action from a religious point of view is to:

1.Dismiss all science as an atheist conspiracy

2.Reinterpret religious texts to fit into a scientific world view.

3.Don't think about it too much.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
28-08-2015, 07:21 AM
(28-08-2015 07:11 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would not take "science" courses at that evangelical university. I would get myself out of those classes and take two other ones instead and then start looking for a secular college to transfer to.

It's good advice. In fact, it is the most ideal scenario. Can your credits transfer, and are you depending on financial support that will enable such flexibility?

If your classes are regionally accredited, then you shouldn't encounter any problems. If they're nationally accredited, or self accredited, then you will have some more difficulty. I would imagine that a very large evangelical university would at least be regionally accredited.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
28-08-2015, 07:22 AM
The word of the day is compartmentalization. Smartass

I gotta do that with my Gwynnies when she starts spouting woo. Intelligence is actually useful for creative justifications. Big Grin

...and I cannot imagine studying at an evangelical college without imagining being expelled. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-08-2015, 07:29 AM
(28-08-2015 07:19 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 06:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  One simply must treat science as a pure subject that is untouched by any religious bias. Then, AFTER the experiments are done, and AFTER the papers are written and peer reviewed, one can see if the science can also make sense in the context of religion.

That's kind of backwards though, you see if religion makes sense in the context of science- hint, it doesn't.

The defensive action from a religious point of view is to:

1.Dismiss all science as an atheist conspiracy

2.Reinterpret religious texts to fit into a scientific world view.

3.Don't think about it too much.

Science and religion don't add up? God did it and science is wrong or God allows us to figure out the world around us and all biblical texts are allegorical. Voila! Cognitive dissonance solved.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
28-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Jonathan Haidt, The Righteous Mind, is a book that talks a lot about cognitive dissonance, among other things. It's written for laymen, but it also has extensive bibliography/notes sections to guide readers to more specialized sources.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post