Resources for children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2015, 05:15 AM
Resources for children?
Hello all!
I am a recent out-of-the-closet atheist, married with children (8, 13, and 19 yo). Our family has always been (and still are) practicing Catholics, which needless to say has brought about much internal conflict, but I have not made waves. In fact, I now view going to church as just something we do together as a family since we don't get much 'family time' for various reasons.

However recently, much to my delight, my 13 yo has expressed doubts. She didn't directly say she doesn't believe, but has asked those questions (why is the world the way it is?, why does praying never work? etc.). So as a responsible father, I want to foster this critical thinking as much as possible.

I was wondering if there are any good books aimed at the young reader on atheism, secularism, humanism, etc. I gave her "The Magic of Reality" by Richard Dawkins last year and she loves it! Looking for more good stuff.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Resources for children?
Hello, and welcome!
I don't have kids so I have little idea of what resources are available, but you've come to the right place to ask.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-12-2015, 12:00 PM
13 year olds are about as intellectually capable as most adults, just without the actual experiences to give context to that intellect. If she's asking those questions, she'll probably understand any "geared towards adults" material you throw her way.

That said, I'd be tactful about it not so much for her or you, but for family unity as a whole. The objective is to at least present the illusion that she came to her conclusions completely on her own and that you, the evil atheist, had nothing to do with it Smile

Also, even church will serve the purpose of promoting skepticism, ironically. If she's asking herself those types of questions, it's a clear indicator that she's starting to view bullshit as bullshit, and the more she gets thrown at her as her mind is opening up the more clearly she's going to see it for what it is.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
23-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Unless she's asking for it, she may not need material. I didn't grow up religious (so my case might be different), but I never needed/wanted material on this subject. I'm betting, and hoping, that she can figure it out on her own, as long as she continues to questions without bias. Although, some people stick with belief even after exploring doubt, which baffles me, but it happens.

I think it really helps that her father is openly not religious. She will see that you don't *have* to be religious to be a decent person or an adult.

Maybe you want to offer the material to compete with the garbage that is thrown at her in church? I don't really have any suggestions. The only two books I'm even remotely interested in are Seth's Sacred Cows and the book you already got her.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
24-12-2015, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the great replys. Framing it so it appears she has come to the conclusions herself (rather than me pushing it on her) is exactly what I am aiming for. Have been meaning to check out "Sacred Cows".

I also have vols. 1 and 2 (and pre-ordered vol. 3) of "Akward Moments Childrens Bible" by Horas Gilgamesh. Very funny, yet thought provoking. My daughter gets a kick out of those too. I like to point out the page featuring Matt 10:34 where Jesus says he has brought a sword not peace and will make all family members hate each other if they don't follow him first bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. And also the passage where he says children who disobey their parents should be put to death. Good stuff that bible is!