Respect for Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
RE: Respect for Religion
(05-01-2012 01:50 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  Of course we should let ministers into our schools, how else will they molest children?

You don't need God for morality, you only need a brain.

You wouldn't let your daughter date an Atheist? Well it definitely sounds safer for your daughter to trust a person who believes in a book of genocide, rape and destruction then of someone who believes in scientific fact. sounds reasonable.

A good time to know the difference between 'then' and 'than.'

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Well at least we know we weren't made in God's image because we certainly aren't perfect.

Thank you though, it happens to me from time to time.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
05-01-2012, 02:55 PM
(05-01-2012 02:20 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  Well at least we know we weren't made in God's image because we certainly aren't perfect.

Thank you though, it happens to me from time to time.

I completely understand.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
(05-01-2012 01:50 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  Of course we should let ministers into our schools, how else will they molest children?

You don't need God for morality, you only need a brain.

You wouldn't let your daughter date an Atheist? Well it definitely sounds safer for your daughter to trust a person who believes in a book of genocide, rape and destruction then of someone who believes in scientific fact. sounds reasonable.

You forgot to mention the stories of abuse towards woman. I guess a daughter counts as a contigency for an angry mob though.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaos MD's post
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Respect for religion - I have very little if any, but and this is a small but, I do remain silent during a family prayer at Christmas or Easter. I don't bow my head, nor do I close my eyes because if any aliens attack during the prayer, I'll be able to warn everyone Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
07-01-2012, 02:46 PM
(07-01-2012 02:33 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Respect for religion - I have very little if any, but and this is a small but, I do remain silent during a family prayer at Christmas or Easter. I don't bow my head, nor do I close my eyes because if any aliens attack during the prayer, I'll be able to warn everyone Smile

Can't be too careful.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-01-2012, 03:27 PM
I wonder what would happen if we found intelligent life on other planets. Would you think it'd instantly falsify religion?

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
(07-01-2012 03:27 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I wonder what would happen if we found intelligent life on other planets. Would you think it'd instantly falsify religion?

Nah, KC would come up with some tortuous, twisted explanation of some Biblical passages to explain it.

And AbdelZ would claim that Islam knew about these aliens centuries ago, haha.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
09-01-2012, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 08:49 PM by Thatweirdkid.)
I personally see special treatment of religious groups as discriminatory. Like a tax deduction for money sent to the church for mission trips. What about people that don't believe in god? Do they get special tax exemptions and deductions? I believe in full equality.
(07-01-2012 03:27 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I wonder what would happen if we found intelligent life on other planets. Would you think it'd instantly falsify religion?

I really don't think it would. At least Christians. We believe in an all powerful god that needs not explain His reasons for what he does. The one thing that would crumble our faith is if Jesus didn't raise from the dead. Proof of this would crush many believers faith. Anything else can be explained away I think.
[+] 2 users Like Thatweirdkid's post
14-01-2012, 03:02 PM
(05-01-2012 12:06 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 09:31 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  This has been discussed by many atheists before, but I had an interesting observation today that brought this topic to the surface again.

Today I started a new semester of my senior year in high school. As a special priveledge of being a senior I am able to aid in the office for a class period. As I was reading up on the specific rules on being a student office aid and I found one interesting rule:

"Parents only may eat with their student at lunch. However, Pastors or youth ministers may eat with the student they are mentoring if they provide their church name on their nametag"

This is not verbatim, but it shows the general idea. Why are pastors/ youth ministers given such special rights? Granted, I do not know why anyone would want to eat the school food.

I just thought it was interesting and I would like to hear everyones opinion on the matter of respect or high priviledge for religion. Personally, I believe religion should not have any exemptions, priviledges, or rights beyond those given to secular groups or individuals.

There's no conspiracy here. You may have a problem with religion, but most people do not. Pastors and ministers are very important to a vast majority of people. My wife and I were married by a Christian minister (who was also a chaplain in the USAF Reserves). When I die, and I’m assuming I will die before my wife, I want a Christian minister to do my funeral. These things matter to people, and these people who you think should have no special rights do have special rights in civilization. Society gives them those rights, whether you like it or not.

You, as an atheist, think you should be treated like everyone else, but “everyone else” doesn’t feel that way. If you read the entry on my blog (it doesn’t matter), you will see that in polls that have been conducted, atheists and rapists have about the same level of trust from people in society.

You’re an atheist. Do you think I would ever give you a job if I knew that about you? Do you think I would ever let you near anyone I loved, or if you wanted to marry my daughter, that I would ever let you be part of my family? You have no moral foundation. You might do anything at any time. Pastors and ministers have the opposite reputation. They respect the authority of God and the ethics He has communicated to us through the Bible. This is a fact of life that will never change. People will not evolve out of it, and no one will ever trust someone they know to be an atheist.

If you choose to be an atheist in society, you will be thought of right alongside criminals. They don’t seem to have any moral foundation either. And here’s another fact of life you might as well get used to: civilization always wins. At its core, atheism is anti-civilization; it is antisocial. So, you will always be on the losing end.

Jesus was unpopular enough for them to get rid of him.

All the above is Argumentum ad Populum fallacy. Next.

(Boy this is like shooting fish in a barrel).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche