Respect for our Veterans?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Respect for our Veterans?
My grandfather was a veteran of WWII, and from what little I have heard of his stories made it seem like hell on earth. They lived in trenches that were little more than running sewers, disease ran rampant, and more than 400,000 American soldiers lost their lives during this war. Many of these people were drafted without choice to fight in this war.

I have untold amount of respect for my grandfather and other American soldiers who fought in this horrendous war to protect our country and people.

However, today's wars are completely different. We fight countries hardly even capable of mounting a defense, never mind a real attack on our country. Compared to our armed military with the resources comparable to the rest of the world combined, they are absolutely nothing. The quality of life for the soldiers is comparable to this, as they sit in AC tents playing xbow, and PC games, while getting paid fairly descent incomes. The death tolls are miniscule by comparison to say WWII, and many soldiers go through the entire tour without ever being shot at. They live lives BETTER than the people who live in that country, not the armed forces, but the regular people.

Now these soldiers come home and they think they deserve the same respect as our REAL veterans. Wherever they go, they run around boldly announcing their veteran status. These kids weren't drafted, they either were over patriotic or just had no other options. I am sorry, but I can't find muster much respect for these dumb kids. You are not real veterans, you are pampered bullies, and your veteran status does not entitle you to any more respect than the average joe I meet on the street. Maybe less.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
28-03-2012, 02:43 PM
RE: Respect for our Veterans?
I suspect this post is directed at me. Since not 5 minutes before you typed it you discovered I was in the Navy. Good thing I didn't ask for you respect. Or care for that matter. You also weren't in the military so why not keep your mouth shut since you don't know what you're talking about.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
28-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I never knew you was in the navy, nor do I care. It was not directed at anyone in particular.

If you don't go around gloating about being a veteran, then it definitely isn't directed at you.
28-03-2012, 03:18 PM
(28-03-2012 03:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I never knew you was in the navy, nor do I care. It was not directed at anyone in particular.

If you don't go around gloating about being a veteran, then it definitely isn't directed at you.

So you're saying the current military isn't littered enough with dead bodies for you to respect or appreciate what they do? That they aren't hardcore enough for you because we've figured out a way to keep busy during down time using modern technology? I'd like to see you stand 12 hours of watch and work 6 more before finally getting a chance to shower and sleep so you can wake up and do it again the next day. For 6 straight months. Or carry around a 60 lb pack in sweltering heat in Afghanistan day after day for 18 months. Not to mention the time spent away from family.

I don't go around gloating. I wouldn't even consider myself to be uber patriotic. Perhaps with a little confidence and pride you'll find something to gloat about so people can disrespect you too.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
28-03-2012, 04:10 PM
(28-03-2012 03:18 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(28-03-2012 03:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I never knew you was in the navy, nor do I care. It was not directed at anyone in particular.

So you're saying the current military isn't littered enough with dead bodies for you to respect or appreciate what they do? That they aren't hardcore enough for you because we've figured out a way to keep busy during down time using modern technology? I'd like to see you stand 12 hours of watch and work 6 more before finally getting a chance to shower and sleep so you can wake up and do it again the next day. For 6 straight months. Or carry around a 60 lb pack in sweltering heat in Afghanistan day after day for 18 months. Not to mention the time spent away from family.

I don't go around gloating. I wouldn't even consider myself to be uber patriotic. Perhaps with a little confidence and pride you'll find something to gloat about so people can disrespect you too.
When you take into consideration the number of them that would have died anyways in the states, then the overall death toll is nothing astounding. Figured out a way to keep busy? You mean play video games in the AC? You expect respect for doing the same thing you would do here? Try living in a sewer, with your all your spare time being worried about when a sniper is going to pick you or your body off. Stand there with 60 lbs, doesn't sound that hard to me by comparison.

I am just merely commenting on the fact that they have the nerve to put themselves on the same pedestal as people who actually fought in WWI and WWII. Which were real wars, and not Americans policing their empire.
28-03-2012, 04:19 PM
(28-03-2012 04:10 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(28-03-2012 03:18 PM)germanyt Wrote:  So you're saying the current military isn't littered enough with dead bodies for you to respect or appreciate what they do? That they aren't hardcore enough for you because we've figured out a way to keep busy during down time using modern technology? I'd like to see you stand 12 hours of watch and work 6 more before finally getting a chance to shower and sleep so you can wake up and do it again the next day. For 6 straight months. Or carry around a 60 lb pack in sweltering heat in Afghanistan day after day for 18 months. Not to mention the time spent away from family.

When you take into consideration the number of them that would have died anyways in the states, then the overall death toll is nothing astounding. Figured out a way to keep busy? You mean play video games in the AC? You expect respect for doing the same thing you would do here? Try living in a sewer, with your all your spare time being worried about when a sniper is going to pick you or your body off. Stand there with 60 lbs, doesn't sound that hard to me by comparison.

I am just merely commenting on the fact that they have the nerve to put themselves on the same pedestal as people who actually fought in WWI and WWII. Which were real wars, and not Americans policing their empire.
IDK. Even in the Navy I didn't run into a lot of people that flaunted their service. Lots of people serve their entire term during peace time but I still appreciate the job they do.

-Mark Twain
28-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I've known dozen's of veterans of recent times to people drafted. My father was drafted but never got shipped into war, a good thing for my chances of getting to exist, yet of any others in this current age I don't see guys gloating. I've even been in bars with guys like my Brother-in law and some friends of his who all were enlisted but never came across a moment of them gloating or trying to pick up a chick with the claim of being a veteran.

I get the point you are making while but I'm not sure this attitude is prevalent.
28-03-2012, 10:24 PM
(28-03-2012 02:31 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  My grandfather was a veteran of WWII, and from what little I have heard of his stories made it seem like hell on earth. They lived in trenches that were little more than running sewers, disease ran rampant, and more than 400,000 American soldiers lost their lives during this war. Many of these people were drafted without choice to fight in this war.

I have untold amount of respect for my grandfather and other American soldiers who fought in this horrendous war to protect our country and people.

However, today's wars are completely different. We fight countries hardly even capable of mounting a defense, never mind a real attack on our country. Compared to our armed military with the resources comparable to the rest of the world combined, they are absolutely nothing. The quality of life for the soldiers is comparable to this, as they sit in AC tents playing xbow, and PC games, while getting paid fairly descent incomes. The death tolls are miniscule by comparison to say WWII, and many soldiers go through the entire tour without ever being shot at. They live lives BETTER than the people who live in that country, not the armed forces, but the regular people.

Now these soldiers come home and they think they deserve the same respect as our REAL veterans. Wherever they go, they run around boldly announcing their veteran status. These kids weren't drafted, they either were over patriotic or just had no other options. I am sorry, but I can't find muster much respect for these dumb kids. You are not real veterans, you are pampered bullies, and your veteran status does not entitle you to any more respect than the average joe I meet on the street. Maybe less.
I tend to agree with much of what you say here.

In Australia in WW1 soldiers were conscripted; whether or not they became heroes, they had no initial choice.
My father died in WW2 as a prisoner working on the Burma Railway, at 33. At that time there was little choice either, what with mass unemployment and accusations of cowardice.

Heroism can occur when people overcome a strong personal fear, and when shocking chaos is occurring. As for the latter I am not sure that such can always be labelled as heroic.

That huge money making commodity, war, and its perpetrators have a lot to answer for!

Banned renegade rebel~~Gasp
29-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Most of the time it seems that people who are in war don't have a choice where they are stationed and are simply told to go fight. My cousins is an awesome guy, had no desire to be in iraq and ended up in iraq. He's now back safely with his family and has no plans on going back.

Regardless of what they do or where they go, war is war. Lives are lost and those lives cannot be reclaimed. I don't think respect for veterans comes from how many people they kill or how many lives are lost. If someone is told to go do something for their country and they do it, I respect the fact that they stand up for their country. Sometimes that requires putting aside your values for the values of your country. Sometimes that means putting aside what you think is right for what your country feels is right.

Some of my friends have also gone to war and even said that they hate seeing how people act about it when they come back. They say it makes them see things from a different perspective. While I cannot possibly put myself in their shoes, to a degree I can imagine (or maybe not) what it must be like to go to war having your country be one way, only to return and find it be another.

I have a few medical things that hold me back from being drafted. Though I think it's safe to say that even if I didn't, that I'd have no desire to go to war for my country. There are many times that I don't agree with the things we've gone to war for. However, for those who have the balls to put their life on the line to do so, I can respect that. It must be insanely difficult knowing you may not come back to the people you love and hold dear to fight for something that maybe you don't agree with because perhaps no one else will.

I wonder if perhaps a reason a lot of veterans are upset at the respect for veterans thing is that they see people coming home from a war that people don't agree with and feel that perhaps they aren't "deserving" of the respect because of that. Many people have been fighting a war that most don't like or agree with, come home and people seem to think nothing of it. I'm sure the vietnam veterans can feel similar since many even have said they were fighting a war that never seemed to end and they didn't know why they were still going back. I realize the scale of deaths and such are different in then vs now, but war is war and war. Death is death. The permanent end of a life over disagreement is still the permanent end of a life over disagreement which is a permanent statement of a nation.
29-03-2012, 10:06 AM
(28-03-2012 02:31 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  My grandfather was a veteran of WWII, and from what little I have heard of his stories made it seem like hell on earth. They lived in trenches that were little more than running sewers, disease ran rampant, and more than 400,000 American soldiers lost their lives during this war. Many of these people were drafted without choice to fight in this war.

All of my family has been in the military at different times, and to be quite frank with you, I feel offended by this. My parents fought in the desert, and let me tell you, it is not as comfy as you think it is.

If you insult the soldiers over their, consider that most of them don't want to be deployed either.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab