Respect for our Veterans?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-03-2012, 12:56 PM
RE: Respect for our Veterans?
(29-03-2012 10:06 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-03-2012 02:31 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  My grandfather was a veteran of WWII, and from what little I have heard of his stories made it seem like hell on earth. They lived in trenches that were little more than running sewers, disease ran rampant, and more than 400,000 American soldiers lost their lives during this war. Many of these people were drafted without choice to fight in this war.

I have untold amount of respect for my grandfather and other American soldiers who fought in this horrendous war to protect our country and people.

However, today's wars are completely different. We fight countries hardly even capable of mounting a defense, never mind a real attack on our country. Compared to our armed military with the resources comparable to the rest of the world combined, they are absolutely nothing. The quality of life for the soldiers is comparable to this, as they sit in AC tents playing xbow, and PC games, while getting paid fairly descent incomes. The death tolls are miniscule by comparison to say WWII, and many soldiers go through the entire tour without ever being shot at. They live lives BETTER than the people who live in that country, not the armed forces, but the regular people.

Now these soldiers come home and they think they deserve the same respect as our REAL veterans. Wherever they go, they run around boldly announcing their veteran status. These kids weren't drafted, they either were over patriotic or just had no other options. I am sorry, but I can't find muster much respect for these dumb kids. You are not real veterans, you are pampered bullies, and your veteran status does not entitle you to any more respect than the average joe I meet on the street. Maybe less.
All of my family has been in the military at different times, and to be quite frank with you, I feel offended by this. My parents fought in the desert, and let me tell you, it is not as comfy as you think it is.

If you insult the soldiers over their, consider that most of them don't want to be deployed either.
Why would you be offended? The current US military is little more than a giant corporate welfare program that bullies the weak and helpless. I could understand signing up if you had no other alternatives, or if it was prior to 9-11, but afterwards? I can't see coming home and gloating about being a part of that organization.

I was actually a hairs breath from signing up for the Air Force when I graduated High School. My school was having college day, that's when all the local colleges and armed forces recruiters setup a table at the school to talk to the senior class, and a minute before I was about to talk to the Air Force recruiter there was a large commotion. Someone turned on a TV in the room, and we all saw the plane crash into the the tower. Obviously all the recruiters instantly left, along with my thoughts of joining the armed forces.

Was probably for the best anyways, the g-forces just from roller coaster rides give me a headache.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Antirepublican's post
29-03-2012, 01:01 PM
So you wanted to suck on the military teet when you thought it was gonna be all hunky dory. Saw potential combat and ran away. You decided against it before there was even a war to disagree with.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
29-03-2012, 08:50 PM
(29-03-2012 01:01 PM)germanyt Wrote:  So you wanted to suck on the military teet when you thought it was gonna be all hunky dory. Saw potential combat and ran away. You decided against it before there was even a war to disagree with.
I grew up in an area that makes Detroit look like boardwalk, so yes, it was the best option I had at the time really. I am not sure why you feel that I would have been leeching off the govt though. The corporations are the ones making the real money, not the average soldier.

Even at that age I could put 2+2 together.
President Bush + Muslin Attack = War!!!

I know you perceive yourself as an internet tough guy, so you can insinuate I am coward if you want. Honestly, I wont mind, in fact I think its rather ironic. But the fact is I was considering joining the Air force, so the chances are slim at best that I would have ever been in mortal danger.
[+] 1 user Likes Antirepublican's post
29-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Dad’s a retired Marine. When he landed at Inchon with the 1st Marine Division he was just 17. He was part of the liberation of Seoul, walked out of the Chosin Reservoir with seven Chinese divisions trying to stop him, and stood his ground against half a million more Chinese during the spring offensive. There were a couple of tours in Viet Nam too. He was at Da Nang in 68 when the NVA launched the Tet offensive.

He has nothing but respect for the troops that serve honorably in our current conflicts. Even though he doesn’t think we had any business being in Iraq in the first place. I have a hard time believing Mysticjbyrd's grandfather would have felt any differently.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
29-03-2012, 10:41 PM
(28-03-2012 02:31 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  My grandfather was a veteran of WWII, and from what little I have heard of his stories made it seem like hell on earth. They lived in trenches that were little more than running sewers, disease ran rampant, and more than 400,000 American soldiers lost their lives during this war. Many of these people were drafted without choice to fight in this war.

I have untold amount of respect for my grandfather and other American soldiers who fought in this horrendous war to protect our country and people.

However, today's wars are completely different. We fight countries hardly even capable of mounting a defense, never mind a real attack on our country. Compared to our armed military with the resources comparable to the rest of the world combined, they are absolutely nothing. The quality of life for the soldiers is comparable to this, as they sit in AC tents playing xbow, and PC games, while getting paid fairly descent incomes. The death tolls are miniscule by comparison to say WWII, and many soldiers go through the entire tour without ever being shot at. They live lives BETTER than the people who live in that country, not the armed forces, but the regular people.

Now these soldiers come home and they think they deserve the same respect as our REAL veterans. Wherever they go, they run around boldly announcing their veteran status. These kids weren't drafted, they either were over patriotic or just had no other options. I am sorry, but I can't find muster much respect for these dumb kids. You are not real veterans, you are pampered bullies, and your veteran status does not entitle you to any more respect than the average joe I meet on the street. Maybe less.
Mystic,
I cannot argue with you here. My grandfather was also a WWII veteran. Unfortunately, I never took the time to ask him about the war days he lived. Part of me was truly scared to. With what little you have revealed, hearing his stories would have made me cry and likely respect him all the more.
Think the things that make me the most frustrated about the lack of respect towards the Veterans of wars past,is that for a long time...they were not seen as heroes by their own country men. Rather they were seen as monsters. Have you heard some of the labels given to them? Seen them perhaps?
I have heard them referred to as baby killers amongst other various names. All I can do is sit there and ask myself...how can anyone who was not there say something like that? We did not see, hear, or come to do the things they had to do.
War then....in ways was far more gruesome than it is today. Our REAL veterans deserve better. Could not agree more. Thumbsup
30-03-2012, 12:33 AM
(29-03-2012 08:50 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 01:01 PM)germanyt Wrote:  So you wanted to suck on the military teet when you thought it was gonna be all hunky dory. Saw potential combat and ran away. You decided against it before there was even a war to disagree with.
I grew up in an area that makes Detroit look like boardwalk, so yes, it was the best option I had at the time really. I am not sure why you feel that I would have been leeching off the govt though. The corporations are the ones making the real money, not the average soldier.

Even at that age I could put 2+2 together.
President Bush + Muslin Attack = War!!!

I know you perceive yourself as an internet tough guy, so you can insinuate I am coward if you want. Honestly, I wont mind, in fact I think its rather ironic. But the fact is I was considering joining the Air force, so the chances are slim at best that I would have ever been in mortal danger.
9/11 didn't make you want to kick some ass? It pissed me off.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-03-2012, 04:11 AM

If those 'kids' didn't 'volunteer' then people would be drafted. You know how many people in my unit get shit pay? Tons. No way you can afford to live on your own with an E3 salary. I know someone who's on welfare and has a xbox360, PS3, and a nice smartphone. What does that have to do with anything?
30-03-2012, 04:43 AM
A veteran who serves with honor is a "real" veteran regardless of what they did while in the military. It takes more to run the military than infantry...they have to be supported by admin, cooks, quartermasters, medics, etc.

Maybe you are confusing a real veteran with a war hero. You could make that distinction.

I know young men that are serving and it's not because it's their only choice. Getting hit by an IED in Afghanistan isn't exactly chilling while playing video games and waiting for their direct deposit.

While the fronts we are fighting on now may not be as revered as the ones in WWI and WWII, the military members are serving their country. If nothing else, it's important to have people with training and actual experience in a combat zone to teach what they know to others coming up. That's the way it's always been...the old soldiers train the new.

As for drawing pay, I guarantee you that the young people in the service aren't getting rich by any stretch of the imagination. When a soldier (sailor, marine, et al) is deployed there is quite a strain on his family from financial worries to fear for their safety. Many soldiers lose pay when they deploy simply because they will be eating in a mess hall (or tasty MREs) thus reducing their income.

Spouses are left as single parents, kids are left not knowing if their parent will ever return. Some people are deployed multiple times. Service in the military should be respected...the fact that they are all volunteers also means that no one else gets drafted against their will.

State militias also serve the county in times of disaster...hurricanes, floods, and the like. They aren't all sitting around drawing a fat paycheck and showing off their spiffy uniforms.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
30-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Isn't it more respectable to have volunteered to fight a war than to have been drafted against your will and only fighting because you are ordered to?

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
30-03-2012, 07:18 AM
(29-03-2012 12:56 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 10:06 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  All of my family has been in the military at different times, and to be quite frank with you, I feel offended by this. My parents fought in the desert, and let me tell you, it is not as comfy as you think it is.

If you insult the soldiers over their, consider that most of them don't want to be deployed either.
Why would you be offended? The current US military is little more than a giant corporate welfare program that bullies the weak and helpless. I could understand signing up if you had no other alternatives, or if it was prior to 9-11, but afterwards? I can't see coming home and gloating about being a part of that organization.

I was actually a hairs breath from signing up for the Air Force when I graduated High School. My school was having college day, that's when all the local colleges and armed forces recruiters setup a table at the school to talk to the senior class, and a minute before I was about to talk to the Air Force recruiter there was a large commotion. Someone turned on a TV in the room, and we all saw the plane crash into the the tower. Obviously all the recruiters instantly left, along with my thoughts of joining the armed forces.

Was probably for the best anyways, the g-forces just from roller coaster rides give me a headache.
You think that there weren't injustices and disgusting acts done by U.S soldiers in World War II? You are mistaken. And yes, these helpless nations only aided in one of the only attacks on U.S soil in modern history. They are quite obviously the little guys.

Yeah, we are bullies.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]