Respect for our Veterans?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-04-2012, 12:00 PM
RE: Respect for our Veterans?
(05-04-2012 09:25 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 08:21 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Think it should be required for Presidents to serve in the military if one is to take on the role of Commander and Chief. Not talking peeling potatoes for a drill sargeant either lol.
I've had KP a few times, it's definitely a work-out. I agree, I would go as far as saying anyone that wanted to push for war or form laws about the military should serve. In the brunt of it all, not just sailing around sitting in a captains chair. Learn what it's really like eating dirt for days, not bathing for a month at a time (minus baby wipes). Shaving out of a canteen cup (this sucks). Digging a hole in the dirt with a itty bitty wad of TP and huddling over it to shit (this really sucks). Laying in the snow for 30mins-1hour at a time in the prone position holding your weapon as soon as you wake from sleep. I could go on with the things I'd like to see these dipshits in office go through also.

Conditions may have changed since I was in but this is the kind of shit our people have to deal with. While the rich sit around reaping the benefits.
Have some friends who served or did some time in Iraq. Folks are also Vets. Grandparents too, and have an Aunt just now joining..... heard some stories too. Dad lost two fingers. Mom got her foot injured real bad to the point she needs a cane, though she does not always use it.
It is amazing the things taken for granted.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AnotherSinner's post
15-04-2012, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 11:43 AM by Antirepublican.)
(09-04-2012 04:54 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 11:09 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  If you think about it, the OPs claim is nothing extreme, maybe just ahead of its time slightly.

Think about it. In early cultures the elderly are revered as being wise and strong, and in many cultures are made the de facto leaders. At the time this sort of made sense given the harsh living conditions. But now, most people will live to be old, and our elderly are not given this de facto level of respect.

War is simply going through the same process.
It is becoming more humane, with less collateral damages, and much safer for everyone involved.
Does that mean that people who are willing to die for their country should deserve any less respect? Just because we are not in a full ground war does not mean that we will not be soon. (North Korea and China look mighty confident)
I never gave them any respect for being willing to die. You are going to die anyways, so that's not saying a whole hell of a lot. Do you show your respect to the king crab fisherman when you eat at a seafood restaurant? I doubt it.... You are much safer on the deck of an air craft carrier, battleship, submarine or any other ship than you are as a King Crab Fishing boat.

They get paid pretty well to do that dangerous job. They are willing to take that risk, in order to make money and potentially make a better life for themselves and their family. Its no different for the military, even if some of those who join merely have too much patriotic fervor.

Just like being old is no huge accomplishment anymore, coming home from a war is no huge accomplishment.
These two positions no longer deserve de facto respect.

China won't attack us, that's just dumb. We are their sugar daddy.
North Korea might if they could, but don't really have the means.

We spend about as much on offense than just about every other country in the world combined. WAYWAYWAY too much btw.
Most opponents who could even hint at being a challenge to us also possess nuclear weapons and a means to deploy them. Which of course is the ultimate peace treaty.
No one is even remotely a threat.

I was reading an article the other day that stipulated that there isn't a single aircraft carrier in the same class as the US. Most countries don't have ANY, including china, in active service. We have ELEVEN in service pus two brand new ones in production, another one in reserve, and finally another 55 that are decommissioned. The few countries that do have aircraft carriers MIGHT be on par with the 55 we are decommissioning.
15-04-2012, 11:31 AM
There aren't many rich soldiers, most of the enlisted men with families qualify for things like Food Stamps and WIC. The pay is dismal.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post