Respect for religion? Really?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Respect for religion? Really?
Pakistani mob beats to death Muslim accused of blasphemy. Days like this I don't want to be alive. At least they don't say anything about the man being mentally disabled, like in some of the previous ones.

And people wonder why we hate religion. Respect? I can't even muster indifference right now. Not for religion, nor for its practitioners.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
22-12-2012, 07:07 AM
RE: Respect for religion? Really?
You know, in Pakistan they're very upset about people burning the Koran, and yet, burnt pages of the Koran keep turning up in people's personal possessions. Like, if I had an enemy in Pakistan all I'd do is grab a copy of the Koran, rip out a few pages, burn 'em and stick 'em in his house... exactly like what happened with this guy... except of *course* he really did it himself right ? And then was dumb enough to leave the pages lying around so that someone could find them... Makes perfect sense. Consider
22-12-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm not a violent person, but times like this I feel like those who did it deserve to be killed like animals. They do not deserve the air they breathe, the space they take up and the food they waste. They are subhuman.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-12-2012, 07:18 AM
(22-12-2012 07:12 AM)Vera Wrote:  I'm not a violent person, but times like this I feel like those who did it deserve to be killed like animals. They do not deserve the air they breathe, the space they take up and the food they waste. They are subhuman.
No... sadly they're human.

Uneducated, culturally programmed... susceptible to the mob mentality...

This man's enemies did well. The real culprits are the leaders who stirred up the crowds... And they're exactly the people who will not be caught.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-12-2012, 07:44 AM
(22-12-2012 07:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  No... sadly they're human.

Uneducated, culturally programmed... susceptible to the mob mentality...

This man's enemies did well. The real culprits are the leaders who stirred up the crowds... And they're exactly the people who will not be caught.
I know. But I still have little pity for the ones who actually killed him. Few things worse or more terrifying than mobs.

Religion - all of it - just cannot die fast enough. But like the disgusting little tumour it is, it just mutates and rears its ugly head again.

22-12-2012, 08:55 AM
It's part of human nature. As technology and education progresses, maybe we can *change* human nature to the point where we actually manage to live up to our potential... But as long as gullible people are around - and that will be a very long time, especially since we ourselves are included in that list - religion will also be there. It's an *easy* way for con-artists to get ahead. An advantage for the con artists is that some people *buy in* so heavily that to them, it's not a con. It makes it harder to expose the fraud. And so, as long as people are able to be conned in what should be a simple child's trick, religion will still be around...
22-12-2012, 09:08 AM
We can at least move on from the ones that propagate "morality" (if you can call it that) that's thousands of years old and teaches fear, hate and division...

At least all that new age crap doesn't tell you to go burn your neighbour, just because his chakras are a bit out of whack

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
22-12-2012, 11:52 AM
(22-12-2012 09:08 AM)Vera Wrote:  We can at least move on from the ones that propagate "morality" (if you can call it that) that's thousands of years old and teaches fear, hate and division...

At least all that new age crap doesn't tell you to go burn your neighbour, just because his chakras are a bit out of whack
That is, if he actually had chakras. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2012, 11:55 AM
(22-12-2012 11:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is, if he actually had chakras. Drinking Beverage
Cut me some slack. I'm not even sure what chakras are and if they can get out of whack. I was pretty much winging it Drinking Beverage

22-12-2012, 12:13 PM
(22-12-2012 11:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 11:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is, if he actually had chakras. Drinking Beverage
Cut me some slack. I'm not even sure what chakras are and if they can get out of whack. I was pretty much winging it Drinking Beverage

So are they. Smartass

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user