Respect for religion? Really?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2012, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 07:43 PM by Vosur.)
RE: Respect for religion? Really?
(23-12-2012 11:31 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Anyone that asks for respect or equality deserves neither.
Right, slaves, women and gay people who have been asking for equal treatment throughout history don't deserve to be treated equally. Drinking Beverage

You know what? I think it would really help if you would go back to school to get a basic education. It appears that you know next to nothing about science, politics and history.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
24-12-2012, 11:52 AM
(23-12-2012 11:31 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Anyone that asks for respect or equality deserves neither.
I was going to respond to this tripe but at the last moment I just gave up. This is such a pointless comment that it doesn't deserve any respect.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 3 users Like Dragon-Wolf's post
25-12-2012, 12:18 AM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
30-12-2012, 03:53 AM
(22-12-2012 06:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  Pakistani mob beats to death Muslim accused of blasphemy. Days like this I don't want to be alive. At least they don't say anything about the man being mentally disabled, like in some of the previous ones.

And people wonder why we hate religion. Respect? I can't even muster indifference right now. Not for religion, nor for its practitioners.
Yes I hear you. It's disgraceful. Fortunately there are a lot of people who are coming out of the woodwork to stand up for reason and put an end to this madness.

"Nothing Great is Easy" - Des Renford (English Channel Swimmer)
30-12-2012, 04:22 AM
(30-12-2012 03:53 AM)Endurance Swimmer Wrote:  Yes I hear you. It's disgraceful. Fortunately there are a lot of people who are coming out of the woodwork to stand up for reason and put an end to this madness.
I don't know. Seeing as I'm currently reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, I'm in an even bleaker frame of mind than when I wrote the OP. To think that there are people living and suffering like this to this very day is unimaginable. No one deserves to live like this (except for the Talibans, but they don't deserve to live at all, so it kinda evens out).

Yeah, tell me again how Islam is a peaceful religion, that's just misunderstood. By about 90% of its practitioners? Then Muhammad was one piss-poor communicator.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
31-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I've found that religions are best represented by the worst elements. I used to believe that most religious folk were like me. But it's not true. You just have to talk to them about certain subjects to realize who they truly are. Sure, in my country they don't execute sinners, but they act against them through legislation and through discrimination in the workplace and social life.

Most Muslims do believe in very horrible things. According to a lot of polls, most of them support killing gays, for example. And in many Muslim countries, at least one third supports al-Qaeda. All religions are like that. In Buddhist countries, in India, in Christian Africa, the majority of religious people have violent, oppressive ideologies. It's not the fringe element that hangs adulterers in Evangelist Africa, its the mob that exists in every neighbourhood, with a police force that is apathetic and a court that doesn't believe human rights belong to everyone.

Even in the west, the majority of religious people are nuts. They don't hang or stone people for minor offenses, but they still preach hatred of minorities and unbelievers. They talk of love but they don't practice it outside their religious community. The Westboro folks aren't the exception, they are the rule. They are simply more extreme, and express their beliefs with protests in places and times that are extremely inappropriate, whereas the majority tries to be subtle (ie. "Defense of Marriage Act", instead of "Anti-Fag Initiative"). That's really the only difference between the WBC and everyone else; the WBC shouts in people's faces and makes a big ruckus, while everyone else is casual about it. Their core beliefs are the same.

Religious people who are kind and accepting are the minority, and I just happened to be lucky enough to meet many of them growing up.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post
01-01-2013, 08:59 AM
And then there's this. Oh yeah, and those poor people who got killed were only trying to help because they were after a dopamine rush. Also, charity never works and does more harm than good...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
02-01-2013, 11:38 PM
(23-12-2012 11:52 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(23-12-2012 11:44 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  So if a group in society is not being treated equally they shouldn't expect it to change?

Sounds like a beaten down Scotsman to me. Consider
You have to prove your worth through action not words. If I was black, I would do everything I could to break out of the stereotype to prove people wrong.

Many black people do. They are highly educated and use good english or other languages they know. Then there are others that seem to like being a stereotype. Of course you also have suburban white kids that like to dress and act like they are ghetto born black people. I generally try to stay away from both. It is not race that causes people to act in a stupid way, it is ignorance plain and simple.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
03-01-2013, 12:07 AM
I'll respect individual people, but I won respect an entire religion.

Why would I respect religion when I'm an atheist? It's hypocritical.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
03-01-2013, 12:44 AM
(03-01-2013 12:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'll respect individual people, but I won respect an entire religion.

Why would I respect religion when I'm an atheist? It's hypocritical.
No it isn't, I respect hobbies like collecting stamps but I don't collect stamps.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"