Respectful religious discussion in ventrilo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Respectful religious discussion in ventrilo
I have created and am paying for a 50 person Ventrilo server devoted to the discussion and debate of theism and atheism. All are invited to join as long as discussion is respectful. I understand things can get heated but if anyone resorts to ad hominem attacks or threats, there will be repercussions including permanent bans. If this format takes off, I will be looking for both theistic and atheistic moderators to keep this group in check. I hate to discuss money, but I want to keep this honest and open, the 50 person Ventrilo channel is $144 US per year. i started this as a test to see interest. I am fine with paying this if the size of the server is good. But, if this needs to increase, I will be looking for donations in the future. Thanks all and here are the details:

IP: acetate.typefrag.com
Port: 8790
PW: n/a (at the moment)

Also, I would love to see Seth in here sometime...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adrenbey's post
11-05-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: Respectful religious discussion in ventrilo
(11-05-2014 06:25 PM)adrenbey Wrote:  I have created and am paying for a 50 person Ventrilo server devoted to the discussion and debate of theism and atheism. All are invited to join as long as discussion is respectful. I understand things can get heated but if anyone resorts to ad hominem attacks or threats, there will be repercussions including permanent bans. If this format takes off, I will be looking for both theistic and atheistic moderators to keep this group in check. I hate to discuss money, but I want to keep this honest and open, the 50 person Ventrilo channel is $144 US per year. i started this as a test to see interest. I am fine with paying this if the size of the server is good. But, if this needs to increase, I will be looking for donations in the future. Thanks all and here are the details:

So, when someone is lying through their teeth at you, spouting a torrent of what you know to be brainwashed bullshit, do you see that as being "respectful"...?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
11-05-2014, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 11:05 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-05-2014 06:25 PM)adrenbey Wrote:  I have created and am paying for a 50 person Ventrilo server devoted to the discussion and debate of theism and atheism. All are invited to join as long as discussion is respectful. I understand things can get heated but if anyone resorts to ad hominem attacks or threats, there will be repercussions including permanent bans. If this format takes off, I will be looking for both theistic and atheistic moderators to keep this group in check. I hate to discuss money, but I want to keep this honest and open, the 50 person Ventrilo channel is $144 US per year. i started this as a test to see interest. I am fine with paying this if the size of the server is good. But, if this needs to increase, I will be looking for donations in the future. Thanks all and here are the details:

I thought spamming and links in the first post here were forbidden. So there's that disrespect for us right there.
Ideas that have no more rational content than "The moon is made of green cheese because I believe it to be so" are not deserving of respect.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Paying for a service where people lie to you belongs in a church. Take that mess elsewhere.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
12-05-2014, 12:24 PM
This is not Adrenbey's first post - he's been here for a while.
His previous posts have shown his interest and enthusiasm for debate of these subjects. I don't see this as being irrelevant information to people who might want to debate - it seems quite relevant.

Sounds like an interesting project Adrenbey... I hope you will get a few interesting discussions going.

As for Seth being here - he doesn't interact with the forum - he made this place for others like himself who may want to exchange ideas.

Here's hoping your project gets off the ground. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-05-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 05:23 PM by adrenbey.)
Thank you, Kim. I appreciate that. I am finally home from work and able to respond but you beat me to it.

Understand this is not for everyone, if this does not interest you, please feel free to pass this by. Also, this is free and always will be. if this group peaks at less than 50 people, I will cover the costs for this server. If it gets really popular and requires a bigger vent channel, I am not totally made of money and will probably need help but only from people that want to help, no admission fee. I will be completely open about all finances if it comes to that. I want no money from this. These posts do have me thinking that I should expand the idea to make it more of a spot for atheists to hang out with each other. I'll have to think about it. I am obsessed with studying religion and discussing with the religious people that also enjoy chatting, but that is just me. If people in the community just used the vent server just to be able to talk with each other, that certainly would not bother me. There are open channels and several Private channels if you don't want to be bothered. I am also considering hosting events like Q&A sessions with people known in the atheist community (not sure if I will get that ambitious). In any event this is not meant to replace the forums or anything like that, but just to be used as another tool if people want.

Thanks all
12-05-2014, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 02:22 AM by Mathilda.)
I've often thought a Second Life or OpenSim server would be good with a discussion forum. It provides live chat, either voice or text, but with a degree of anonymity. Personally I'm not comfortable chatting by voice. I also prefer crafting posts to get my point across. Voice gives too much of an advantage to theists because it allows them to add fluff and evade being pinned down.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
12-05-2014, 06:00 PM
It seems like a waste of money to me when you consider the overwhelming lack of interest so far, but hey, it's a free country world. Sleepy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
12-05-2014, 06:12 PM
I will be in there some time. Maybe later tonight. Sounds like fun.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
12-05-2014, 07:28 PM
I think it's a pretty cool idea. Don't have much time in May, but I'll definitely swing by in June.

Have you put it out elsewhere?
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post