Respecting The Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
31-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Respecting The Truth
I, being an atheist, actually have great pity for those who are living under the assumption that their god exists. Many times I have encountered theists who will defend their beliefs against all reason, not matter what argument is presented to them.

The reason I pity them is because it is obvious to me- and most here- that they are defending something that we- the educated- know to be a lie. I mean let's face it, we are atheists not so much because we hate religion, but rather because we respect the truth.

When I see arguments by theists defending their gods, I see a person who is so afraid of leaving religion that they will actually lie to themselves to protect their beliefs. They will deny obvious logic and reason, and obvious evidence because of their strongly guarded beliefs.

It is without doubt that the vast majority of atheists that I have encountered demonstrate a far higher respect for the truth than any theist I have ever encountered. We are always seeking the truth, and we dare to look everything in the eye with a healthy dose of honest skepticism.

In my experienced opinion, atheists consistently demonstrate the highest moral standards on the planet, as we clearly respect the truth and live our lives accordingly.

Theists are living a lie and we all know it. Therefore, since they are living a lie, then their lives are motivated by lies, and that is why we see them defend themselves with lies and deny themselves any truths that could be offered.

I pity the theists. I pity them because most of them are so enslaved by theology that a possibly great mind is being suppressed because they confuse their beliefs with what the actual truth really is.

Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.

And Happy New Year To All!

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
31-12-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: Respecting The Truth
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I, being an atheist, actually have great pity for those who are living under the assumption that their god exists. Many times I have encountered theists who will defend their beliefs against all reason, not matter what argument is presented to them.

The reason I pity them is because it is obvious to me- and most here- that they are defending something that we- the educated- know to be a lie. I mean let's face it, we are atheists not so much because we hate religion, but rather because we respect the truth.

When I see arguments by theists defending their gods, I see a person who is so afraid of leaving religion that they will actually lie to themselves to protect their beliefs. They will deny obvious logic and reason, and obvious evidence because of their strongly guarded beliefs.

It is without doubt that the vast majority of atheists that I have encountered demonstrate a far higher respect for the truth than any theist I have ever encountered. We are always seeking the truth, and we dare to look everything in the eye with a healthy dose of honest skepticism.

In my experienced opinion, atheists consistently demonstrate the highest moral standards on the planet, as we clearly respect the truth and live our lives accordingly.

Theists are living a lie and we all know it. Therefore, since they are living a lie, then their lives are motivated by lies, and that is why we see them defend themselves with lies and deny themselves any truths that could be offered.

I pity the theists. I pity them because most of them are so enslaved by theology that a possibly great mind is being suppressed because they confuse their beliefs with what the actual truth really is.

Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.

Do you think this is even possible?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Heaven help us all. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-12-2014, 06:50 PM
(31-12-2014 06:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I, being an atheist, actually have great pity for those who are living under the assumption that their god exists. Many times I have encountered theists who will defend their beliefs against all reason, not matter what argument is presented to them.

Do you think this is even possible?

Probably not, since most theists I have met don't have the courage to question what they believe.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
31-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Well, just because someone is an atheist does not necessarily mean they are going to automatically start being more moral and kinder to people around them.

While it is true that most atheists who read books aimed towards us, partake in conversations with humanists and communicate with other atheist communities share a far deeper respect for other humans than most theists do these days. It does not necessarily mean that they are going to have a dramatic change in personality over night or change the way they act and think entirely.

Being an atheist does not excuse you from the vices that make you human, namely still being an ignorant jack ass to others about other things.

Furthermore, asking a person to try atheism is fucking stupid.

I mean, why am I the only fucking person who actually sees this? Are you all fucking retards right now? Did it completely fly past your fucking skulls that NO ONE CAN "TRY" ATHEISM FOR A MONTH?!

Let me put it into perspective for you.

Let's pretend I am a Christian for a second.

OK Atheists! have you ever considered Trying Jesus Christ? If you just try Jesus and accept him into your life, you will believe in him.

See? See it now Free?

Disbelief is the exact same thing as belief itself. It's not a choice. They cannot choose to not believe for a month and then go back to believing like turning a facet on and off. It doesn't work like that.

The closest we can do is ask that they simply try harder to examine their religion more closely and compare what is written in its pages to what they have actually seen and witnessed in real life. For example, ask them if they have ever seen or heard of any of the miracles or disasters in the bible happening in real life. Like people turning into salt, talking animals, fire raining from the sky without a source, or any of the other physics breaking acts that happened.

But, even that is asking quite a lot, because many of them are still too delusional too consider the thought that talking animals don't exist in our world. Too many of them fully believe that people are still being turned to salt and the evil Satan Illuminati is covering up much of these things. We are talking about the same group of people that have those in their groups that allow their children to slowly die in front of them in an incredibly painfully and slow manner from a minor illness that a short trip to the Walmart pharmacy can cure for under $5.00.

$5.00 to save their child's life and when the child dies, they have more children and do the very same thing over again. Fully believing that they are still righteous and good parents, believing that their children were taken away to heaven by a god that "loves" them. You are asking a group of people that have the likes of the mentioned above tucked away in the corner of their ranks to question what they believe which will never happen.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
31-12-2014, 08:54 PM
(31-12-2014 07:33 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Well, just because someone is an atheist does not necessarily mean they are going to automatically start being more moral and kinder to people around them.

While it is true that most atheists who read books aimed towards us, partake in conversations with humanists and communicate with other atheist communities share a far deeper respect for other humans than most theists do these days. It does not necessarily mean that they are going to have a dramatic change in personality over night or change the way they act and think entirely.

Being an atheist does not excuse you from the vices that make you human, namely still being an ignorant jack ass to others about other things.

Furthermore, asking a person to try atheism is fucking stupid.

I mean, why am I the only fucking person who actually sees this? Are you all fucking retards right now? Did it completely fly past your fucking skulls that NO ONE CAN "TRY" ATHEISM FOR A MONTH?!

OK Atheists! have you ever considered Trying Jesus Christ? If you just try Jesus and accept him into your life, you will believe in him.

See? See it now Free?

Disbelief is the exact same thing as belief itself. It's not a choice. They cannot choose to not believe for a month and then go back to believing like turning a facet on and off. It doesn't work like that.

The closest we can do is ask that they simply try harder to examine their religion more closely and compare what is written in its pages to what they have actually seen and witnessed in real life. For example, ask them if they have ever seen or heard of any of the miracles or disasters in the bible happening in real life. Like people turning into salt, talking animals, fire raining from the sky without a source, or any of the other physics breaking acts that happened.

But, even that is asking quite a lot, because many of them are still too delusional too consider the thought that talking animals don't exist in our world. Too many of them fully believe that people are still being turned to salt and the evil Satan Illuminati is covering up much of these things. We are talking about the same group of people that have those in their groups that allow their children to slowly die in front of them in an incredibly painfully and slow manner from a minor illness that a short trip to the Walmart pharmacy can cure for under $5.00.

$5.00 to save their child's life and when the child dies, they have more children and do the very same thing over again. Fully believing that they are still righteous and good parents, believing that their children were taken away to heaven by a god that "loves" them. You are asking a group of people that have the likes of the mentioned above tucked away in the corner of their ranks to question what they believe which will never happen.

Apparently this is a thing.

Christians Are Raging At Pastor Who Gave Up God For One Year After He Decides Not To Go Back

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/12/29/...o-go-back/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-12-2014, 09:11 PM
I don't think it is completely stupid. I think that at some point on a person's progression away from faith they have to give themselves permission to look at the world through atheist goggles. Just to look at the world with the hypothesis that there is no god in their mind. To see the world as a place that has no creator. To see a world that just "is".

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 8 users Like Hafnof's post
31-12-2014, 09:17 PM
(31-12-2014 09:11 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  I don't think it is completely stupid. I think that at some point on a person's progression away from faith they have to give themselves permission to look at the world through atheist goggles. Just to look at the world with the hypothesis that there is no god in their mind. To see the world as a place that has no creator. To see a world that just "is".

This is what motivated this Seventh Day pastor to attempt this in the first place:

"Ironically, the nastiness that Bell is now receiving is part of the reason Bell was inspired to leave religion in the first place. Just before he began his “experiment,” Bell says he quit his church because of the awful way they had treated homosexuals and other “sinners.” Sad, but perhaps not surprising, then, that when he said he didn’t want to go back, anti-gay slurs are some of the first things that his former religious peers hurl at him.”

Religions to me are the ultimate private clubs, exclusionary and intolerant. No other group takes it to their extreme. First they try to cajole you into joining. If unsuccessful they ostracize you and ridicule you. But if you actively oppose them they try to kill you and all this in the name of a benevolent and merciful God who tells them to do just this. Facepalm

[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
31-12-2014, 09:49 PM
(31-12-2014 07:33 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Well, just because someone is an atheist does not necessarily mean they are going to automatically start being more moral and kinder to people around them.

On the contrary, every single atheist I know in real life (and I know a lot) demonstrate a far higher sense of morality than any theist I have ever met for the simple reason of "honesty."

I am not saying atheists are immune to dishonesty, but what I am saying is that they are far more honest about specific real life issues such as religion and skepticism, as well as are far more vocal regarding human rights, especially the rights of gays and lesbians.

Atheists do not allow the bullshit of religion to influence their view on the everyday issues that affect humanity, yet theists attempt to impose their religious beliefs upon everybody.

And these are the fucking morals that those of us who are atheists display with pride.

We do it because we know its right. We do it because we have learned that our respect of seeking the truth has lead us to understand that the bullshit that is theology obfuscates the truth and buries it at the peril of human rights.

We damn well do it because we damn well respect the truth with a far higher moral stance than any damn theist could ever hope to display.

Quote: It does not necessarily mean that they are going to have a dramatic change in personality over night or change the way they act and think entirely.

Of course not, but giving someone a taste of what it means to be an atheist who uses reason and rationale may just plant the seed of doubt deep enough to teach that person what honest skepticism and respect for the truth actually is.

Quote:Being an atheist does not excuse you from the vices that make you human, namely still being an ignorant jack ass to others about other things.

Of course not, but being an ignorant jackass to someone is most definitely a higher moral ground than whipping out a fucking sword to cut someones head off and put it on YouTube, wouldn't you agree?

Find me a group of atheists who go around killing people in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or who bomb buildings, or who kill innocents by the scores just to instill fear into the masses.

And you have an issue with some atheists being an "ignorant jack ass?"

Like fuck man ... seriously. FUCK!

Quote:Furthermore, asking a person to try atheism is fucking stupid.

See? See it now Free?

Like what the fuck is the matter with you? Did you not even read THIS THREAD?

How could you ever call yourself an atheist and then say that asking a theist to try atheism is stupid? How the fuck does an atheist even go to that fucking level of stupidity?

Do you think it's somehow fucking wrong to ask a theist to consider doubting their beliefs? You think THAT is "fucking stupid?"

Since atheism is defined as a lack of beliefs in any gods, why the fuck would you ever think its stupid to ask a theist to try and see things from an atheist perspective?

I come to this forum and other forums to help theists escape religious beliefs. How the fuck do any of us help them if we don't encourage them to doubt their beliefs?

Quote:Disbelief is the exact same thing as belief itself.

Are you fucking insane? How can two totally opposite things be exactly the same? Where the fuck do you come up with this total and utter bullshit?

Think about it ffs.

Quote:They cannot choose to not believe for a month and then go back to believing like turning a facet on and off. It doesn't work like that.

Since they have the ability to make a choice, then absolutely, they have a fucking choice. They may decide to remain an atheist, or chose their theology again.

Seriously ....

Censored

[+] 3 users Like Free's post
31-12-2014, 10:29 PM
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  [b]Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.[/b

To be fair you should then offer to be a theist for a month? I couldn't Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.