Respecting The Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
31-12-2014, 10:36 PM
RE: Respecting The Truth
Replace "theism" with "atheism" and you get something that is just as accurate.

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2014, 10:38 PM
(31-12-2014 10:36 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Replace "theism" with "atheism" and you get something that is just as accurate.

Rolleyes Go away

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-01-2015, 01:10 AM
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.

And Happy New Year To All!

If atheism is true--if God does not exist--where's the virtue in knowing the truth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2015, 01:16 AM
(31-12-2014 06:50 PM)Free Wrote:  Probably not, since most theists I have met don't have the courage to question what they believe.

You atheist idiot. [Image: angry-smiley.gif]

If you could only see the way I am tearing into my prior beliefs about salvation--beliefs I've held and taken for granted all my life.

As an atheist, you have no need for the truth. There is no "good" in knowing the truth as an atheist. You might as well die after you breed and die sooner if no one will breed with you. That's all the hope there is in atheism. You don't need truth.

Only those who believe in God need to seek the truth.
01-01-2015, 02:27 AM
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.

(31-12-2014 07:33 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  NO ONE CAN "TRY" ATHEISM FOR A MONTH?!

You both have valid points. Can we please ease up on the bold and disengage the caps lock?

Yes, when you can get a theist to question their beliefs, when you can get past the conditioning and the psychological dissonance, then there is a chance that you can effect change. At the worst you're likely to get a more rational, more moderate theist.

But these instances are rare. You know as well as I do that theism has defenses built into it to prevent this sort of simple deconversion. Getting rid of it would be much easier otherwise.

A few people, most notably the former Pastor Bell, try atheism and convert but these are examples of people who are already converting. They are the ones in whom theism has already failed.

In the majority who still fervently believe, acting like an atheist would be precisely that. An act. And it would be a pitiful caricature too. You can just imagine them strutting about now, carrying on about how they have no morals, no truth, blah, blah, blah... Then a month later they go back and tell all their friends how unspeakably horrible it was to be without god in their lives.

If they could act like atheists they would be atheists.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
01-01-2015, 02:45 AM
Sure, but there are also many atheists out there in the pews... perhaps not having asked that final question... perhaps not having found a community to voice their confusion to. Various American Atheist billboard campaigns have been targeted at these lapsed religious folk who are just going along for the ride and with the right nudge could be ready to wake up.

(01-01-2015 01:16 AM)Gordon Wrote:  If you could only see the way I am tearing into my prior beliefs about salvation--beliefs I've held and taken for granted all my life.

As an atheist, you have no need for the truth. There is no "good" in knowing the truth as an atheist. You might as well die after you breed and die sooner if no one will breed with you. That's all the hope there is in atheism. You don't need truth.

Only those who believe in God need to seek the truth.

And yet you won't seriously question the most basic belief you hold: Is any of it real?
Not "which of these is true?" but "is any of this really true?"

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
01-01-2015, 04:46 AM
(01-01-2015 01:10 AM)Gordon Wrote:  

And Happy New Year To All!

If atheism is true--if God does not exist--where's the virtue in knowing the truth?

OK, I'll bite. So long as we are defining truth strictly per the dictionary.

I would say that knowing the truth about anything (how nature works, who did or said what, etc) has value purely because it forms the foundation of good decision-making. So, for example, if I know the properties of certain materials (e.g. semiconductors) I can use that to make useful tools (e.g. microchips). If I know somebody did something bad through hard evidence, I can hold them to account.

And if I know that, for example, there is no life after death, I could make really valuable choices (e.g. making this life count rather than waiting for the next one).

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
01-01-2015, 05:01 AM
I don't know why it is, but most of the manner of how you phrase things is bugging me. I definitely agree with much of shadow has said. Some of these premises are fine, but it's obvious to understand why an atheist would find the idea of "Try atheism for 1 month" is fucking stupid. Because the phrasing and manner of speech is fucking stupid. Trying atheism isn't a thing.

To reword it saying, how about you try doubting for a month, is different. Because it's a coherent point that doesn't sound absurd.

I just also don't get the generalization and arrogant assumptions by thinking that doesn't happen. To an awful lot of religious believers, questioning and doubting is a concept. And the whole argument of pitying them and maintaining being religious means less educated(in spite of trends, to assert it in that bland manner though is pompous)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
01-01-2015, 05:24 AM
(01-01-2015 05:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't know why it is, but most of the manner of how you phrase things is bugging me. I definitely agree with much of shadow has said. Some of these premises are fine, but it's obvious to understand why an atheist would find the idea of "Try atheism for 1 month" is fucking stupid. Because the phrasing and manner of speech is fucking stupid. Trying atheism isn't a thing.

To reword it saying, how about you try doubting for a month, is different. Because it's a coherent point that doesn't sound absurd.

I just also don't get the generalization and arrogant assumptions by thinking that doesn't happen. To an awful lot of religious believers, questioning and doubting is a concept. And the whole argument of pitying them and maintaining being religious means less educated(in spite of trends, to assert it in that bland manner though is pompous)

I must agree wholeheartedly with this. I stayed out of this discussion for similar reasons.

My atheism isn't a "position" or system of living: it is a simple conclusion on the hypothesis of theism, arrived at through some very simple research and critical thinking that is common to many other avenues of enquiry.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
01-01-2015, 05:37 AM
(01-01-2015 02:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

(31-12-2014 07:33 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  NO ONE CAN "TRY" ATHEISM FOR A MONTH?!

You both have valid points. Can we please ease up on the bold and disengage the caps lock?

But I wanted to see more bold and caps lock. Sadcryface2

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post