Respecting The Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-01-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Respecting The Truth
(31-12-2014 10:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  [b]Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.[/b

To be fair you should then offer to be a theist for a month? I couldn't Tongue

I was raised as a Catholic, in a small village that was 99% Catholic. Only 1 family in the entire village of 700 people were protestant.

The school was a Catholic school. My teachers were nuns, and the priest was the principal.

So, been there, done that.

Big Grin

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 11:14 AM
(01-01-2015 10:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  That's still a 4/10 for me. Keep working on it though. I think you need to incorporate more understanding of the character you are trying to satirise into your quip. For example, you could have worked my three-day diet and stout guzzling into this post[1]. That would have bumped it up to at least a 6 if you could add an original twist.

My suggestion in this case would be to simultaneously work in a bulimia and alcoholic theme. Extra points would be awarded for economically including a reference to 12 step programs and their controversial religious basis. A full 10/10 would require you also make a reference to catholic charity within a 15 word limit for the quip.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute, slow down buddy, hang on a sec, that post was WAAAAAY too long.... Don't clog the threads with thinking please.
01-01-2015, 01:00 PM
OK, I'll throw my two cents in here:

This has gotten off the OP a bit so I'd like to say something about that first. Free's challenge to theists is legitimate and here's why: Most atheists have experienced some sort of religious indoctrination. They then challenged themselves somewhere along the way, either through incredulity, revelation, casual conversation, et al. At that point, they decided to take off the theistic glasses to have a look around, ultimately liking what they saw and kept off the glasses.

Theists, however, get the same indoctrination, believe wholeheartedly what they were told and never stray because of the that fear-mongering indoctrination. They've never known what it's like to step outside and look in. (And let's not get into the whole "born atheist" argument, for we're all smart enough to know what I mean here.)

In the spirit of the new year and resolutions, I see nothing wrong with Free's challenge, and certainly not deserving of the ALL CAPS-BOLDED-F-BOMB-LADEN RESPONSE from ShadowFox, who has suspiciously disappeared from this thread since that initial post. To say Free's post is ludicrous is unfair given that most atheists have gone through the "believer" phase already, so to tell them to "Try theism" is generally a poor retort, whereas most theists never have attempted to "unbelieve."

Now, on to the charity tangent: I am so tired of people giving props to the Catholic Church for its charitable efforts. First, it gives the institution all of the credit when in fact it's the people who are doing the giving. Second, if the RCC were truly charitable it wouldn't have BILLIONS in the bank (billions that came from those same believers, not the church). If it were truly charitable it wouldn't proselytize at its food pantries before doling out a meal or deny condoms to a country riddled with AIDS.

I am a charitable person. I started a food drive that is nationwide. I think charity is a great thing, but if you have an ulterior motive then it's not charity and it certainly doesn't deserve any adulation.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
01-01-2015, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 01:24 PM by DLJ.)
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I, being an atheist, actually have great pity for those who are living under the assumption that their god exists.

You must be quite the magnanimous overlord.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  Many times I have encountered theists who will defend their beliefs against all reason, not matter what argument is presented to them.

Oooh, a master debater. Tell me, how many times a day do you master a debate? And where? In the bedroom, bathroom- really anywhere in my case, I'm not one to judge.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  The reason I pity them is because it is obvious to me- and most here- that they are defending something that we- the educated- know to be a lie. I mean let's face it, we are atheists not so much because we hate religion, but rather because we respect the truth.

False. There are many educated theists, and many IGNORANT atheists. The fact that your pretentious worldview makes YOU feel better about yourself doesn't mean that's always the case.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  When I see arguments by theists defending their gods, I see a person who is so afraid of leaving religion that they will actually lie to themselves to protect their beliefs. They will deny obvious logic and reason, and obvious evidence because of their strongly guarded beliefs.

They're so afraid! You're brave! Unlike those people who literally believe that they will not die and cease to exist... yeah....

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  It is without doubt that the vast majority of atheists that I have encountered demonstrate a far higher respect for the truth than any theist I have ever encountered. We are always seeking the truth, and we dare to look everything in the eye with a healthy dose of honest skepticism.

No. The issue is that you disagree with them on what the truth is. They "disrespect" what you flaunt as truth because they have a differing view. Tell me, what makes the Master Debater worthy of declaring objective truth?

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  In my experienced opinion, atheists consistently demonstrate the highest moral standards on the planet, as we clearly respect the truth and live our lives accordingly.

Hilariously blatant lies. Belief in God or lack thereof is unrelated to how a person acts. In my experienced opinion, people who believe that one group is superior to another are generally douchebags.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  Theists are living a lie and we all know it. Therefore, since they are living a lie, then their lives are motivated by lies, and that is why we see them defend themselves with lies and deny themselves any truths that could be offered.

Arrogant. Word. Vomit. Everyone creates defense mechanisms to hide themselves from the truth. You are absolutely no different, and by that logic theists do live by lies- as do you.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I pity the theists. I pity them because most of them are so enslaved by theology that a possibly great mind is being suppressed because they confuse their beliefs with what the actual truth really is.

Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.

Wow. Many concern. Much sadness. Why don't you get up in arms over the lazy fucks who are wasting their great minds on video games and weed? Selective outrage much? lol

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  And Happy New Year To All!
01-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Wow, one-post ban. There's the record.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I, being an atheist, actually have great pity for those who are living under the assumption that their god exists. Many times I have encountered theists who will defend their beliefs against all reason, not matter what argument is presented to them.

The reason I pity them is because it is obvious to me- and most here- that they are defending something that we- the educated- know to be a lie. I mean let's face it, we are atheists not so much because we hate religion, but rather because we respect the truth.

When I see arguments by theists defending their gods, I see a person who is so afraid of leaving religion that they will actually lie to themselves to protect their beliefs. They will deny obvious logic and reason, and obvious evidence because of their strongly guarded beliefs.

It is without doubt that the vast majority of atheists that I have encountered demonstrate a far higher respect for the truth than any theist I have ever encountered. We are always seeking the truth, and we dare to look everything in the eye with a healthy dose of honest skepticism.

In my experienced opinion, atheists consistently demonstrate the highest moral standards on the planet, as we clearly respect the truth and live our lives accordingly.

Theists are living a lie and we all know it. Therefore, since they are living a lie, then their lives are motivated by lies, and that is why we see them defend themselves with lies and deny themselves any truths that could be offered.

I pity the theists. I pity them because most of them are so enslaved by theology that a possibly great mind is being suppressed because they confuse their beliefs with what the actual truth really is.

Therefore, I dare any theist who reads this to try atheism for 1 month. You will act and express yourself as an atheist here and in real life, and let's see if you have enough respect for the truth to walk on this side of the fence to see if there's any truth here.

And Happy New Year To All!

From my studies, I understand that it is possible to isolate a part of the mind and to dissociate it from the "normal" functioning of reason. Oftentimes, theists are not stupid in other parts of their lives. They generally function as well as one who has not reserved a portion of their minds for belief in fantasies.

Think about when you are watching a movie. It is possible to completely dissociate yourself (temporarily) from reality--to become so engrossed in the story, that it "becomes" reality. Of course, you keep one foot in the real world, but for the duration of that movie, it is the only reality. I believe this is what happens to believers in gods and spirits, etc. The only difference being, that it has become a "permanent" vacation for them instead of a temporary escape from reality.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
01-01-2015, 01:57 PM
(01-01-2015 01:07 PM)CharaChan Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I, being an atheist, actually have great pity for those who are living under the assumption that their god exists.

You must be quite the magnanimous overlord.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  Many times I have encountered theists who will defend their beliefs against all reason, not matter what argument is presented to them.

Oooh, a master debater. Tell me, how many times a day do you master a debate? And where? In the bedroom, bathroom- really anywhere in my case, I'm not one to judge.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  The reason I pity them is because it is obvious to me- and most here- that they are defending something that we- the educated- know to be a lie. I mean let's face it, we are atheists not so much because we hate religion, but rather because we respect the truth.

False. There are many educated theists, and many IGNORANT atheists. The fact that your pretentious worldview makes YOU feel better about yourself doesn't mean that's always the case.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  When I see arguments by theists defending their gods, I see a person who is so afraid of leaving religion that they will actually lie to themselves to protect their beliefs. They will deny obvious logic and reason, and obvious evidence because of their strongly guarded beliefs.

They're so afraid! You're brave! Unlike those people who literally believe that they will not die and cease to exist... yeah....

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  It is without doubt that the vast majority of atheists that I have encountered demonstrate a far higher respect for the truth than any theist I have ever encountered. We are always seeking the truth, and we dare to look everything in the eye with a healthy dose of honest skepticism.

No. The issue is that you disagree with them on what the truth is. They "disrespect" what you flaunt as truth because they have a differing view. Tell me, what makes the Master Debater worthy of declaring objective truth?

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  In my experienced opinion, atheists consistently demonstrate the highest moral standards on the planet, as we clearly respect the truth and live our lives accordingly.

Hilariously blatant lies. Belief in God or lack thereof is unrelated to how a person acts. In my experienced opinion, people who believe that one group is superior to another are generally douchebags.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  Theists are living a lie and we all know it. Therefore, since they are living a lie, then their lives are motivated by lies, and that is why we see them defend themselves with lies and deny themselves any truths that could be offered.

Arrogant. Word. Vomit. Everyone creates defense mechanisms to hide themselves from the truth. You are absolutely no different, and by that logic theists do live by lies- as do you.

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I pity the theists. I pity them because most of them are so enslaved by theology that a possibly great mind is being suppressed because they confuse their beliefs with what the actual truth really is.

Wow. Many concern. Much sadness. Why don't you get up in arms over the lazy fucks who are wasting their great minds on video games and weed? Selective outrage much? lol

(31-12-2014 06:24 PM)Free Wrote:  And Happy New Year To All!

Since your got yourself banned- likely for some sock puppet thing- no point on addressing your banter.

Post Edit: Just checked, and you were banned for being another sock incarnation of TTT.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
01-01-2015, 02:00 PM
MSBB say CharaChan was a sock of TTT, who is/was TTT?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-01-2015, 02:01 PM
(01-01-2015 02:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  MSBB say CharaChan was a sock of TTT, who is/was TTT?
The_Thinking_Theist

01-01-2015, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 02:04 PM by gofish!.)
@666wannabe: I like your thinking on this, but still think it's more to do with simply having your frame of reference for life set early in life. You see this difficulty in letting go of old ideas in other areas.

For example my father believed in corporal punishment and I'm old enough to remember it at grammar school. And to be brutally honest, it took all my willpower and conscious effort to rid myself of the thought that it may too be right for my son.

Thank goodness I did though, and I see the proof of this wisdom everyday.

But it felt like an exorcism.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.