Response suggestions to being "saved" @ work?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 10:53 AM by LadyJane.)
Question Response suggestions to being "saved" @ work?
Hi Everybody!

I would love some suggestions from you all on how to respond to people who want to "save" me and pray for me when I'm at work.

Jist of it:: I work a block away from a mega church here in the Tampa area and the church has a staff that answers the phone for people who phone in prayers Rolleyes Often, the staff at the church comes in to my place of employment to buy money orders, cash there payroll checks, etc. They are always so slick about the "Hey, can I ask you a question?" Do you know for sure that you're gong to heaven when you die? and I'm always stuck for a response. I usually tell them I'm a non believer and they start the speech of why I should be, how awesome their church is and they ask me to recite a prayer with them, yadda, yadda, yadda. My problem is I'm at work when the bible beaters approach me with this and for security reasons I'm stuck behind a wall of glass windows (picture a bank teller counter) so I am pretty much at their mercy. Meanwhile I have to maintain some sort of composure and be somewhat considerate of them because I don't want to have any negative reflection on the company I work for.

This is my first post here on the forum but I've been lurking in the shadows and been reading a ton of stuff and I know some of you are hilarious and very well spoken so I'd love some advice on how to respond to them. Please and Thank You! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
RE: Response suggestions to being "saved" @ work?
Can you politely say that you don't think your workplace is the right setting for that discussion?

That closes the preaching and protects your employment.

No one is attacked, it's not rude. Just a suggestion.

Your means of making a living need not be jeopardized by their religious agenda.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
10-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Great Point Angie! I can't believe I haven't thought of that on my own. Most of the time I'm a little caught of guard with this question so I stumble for an answer.

Is it just me or am I justified in thinking they shouldn't really be bothering me with that shit at work anyway?
10-04-2013, 10:52 AM
You are justified in thinking that, but the simple fact is that most of us have to earn a living and rocking the boat too hard at work can really be detrimental.

Just be polite and don't get into it with them.

Just remember...no religion...no politics.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
10-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Anjele is correct, that would be the easiest non-intrusive way to end it. However, be aware, that even though you may be the politest person in the world, they might still get offended and file a complaint...usually the people with the slick proselytizing get very very defensive when shut down, even when shut down politely.

If you've ever seen Fast times at Ridgemont High, when the dude starts screaming at the cashier for no refunds when the casier is being very polite to the customer...that type of behavior.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
10-04-2013, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 12:21 AM by Heathen.)
I've worked at a job for many years where I have a lot of interaction with the public. The situation you describe doesn't occur often (I live in Canada) but what I have always done is to simply pretend I didn't hear it and stick to business. I've even been offered pamphlets and bibles and I simply smile and say "no thank you" and continue with the business at hand. If I was put in your situation I would give them a big smile and say "how may I help you?" Just ignore it and move on. The worst thing you can do is get drawn into a conversation, and remember that a conversation requires you to respond to them. This is important, it is part of their "script". Be professional and extra friendly to these people as you ignore their attempts to engage you.

What is your management like? Being this close to that church I'm sure that they are aware of what is going on. If you feel comfortable in doing it, it might not be a bad idea to raise the subject and ask them for advice on how they would like you to deal with it. Make it clear that your primary concern is that you perform you job without offending your clients. I'm sure that they don't want to have lineups because you are "being saved" all day long. Smile Your professionalism and concern may also help you out if you do end up getting an undeserved complaint.

One more thing. When these people see weakness they will be on you like lions on an injured zebra. Be strong, confident and professional. They will eventually get the message. Good luck!

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 3 users Like Heathen's post
11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Great points everyone! Being stuck in conversation with them is what I dread, the problem is there so slick with how they slip it in conversation. I swear the church guides them on how to do this...another form of religious deception. I've mentioned it to my pretty stellar management team and they suggest to just handle it as professionally as I can. I do the best I can but sometimes it annoys that they think it's ok do to this to my while I'm work.
11-04-2013, 08:09 PM
"I'm sorry but it's my personal policy never to discuss religion or politics with strangers. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Memorize it, repeat it ad nauseum if necessary until they are finished with their business and go away.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
12-04-2013, 12:23 AM
(10-04-2013 10:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Can you politely say that you don't think your workplace is the right setting for that discussion?

Of course, the risk here is their follow up question: "Good point, so how about we set up a time to come by your house and talk about it there?"

(I live in Utah, the land that spawns missionaries faster than World of Warcraft spawns mobs).

So be prepared to answer this question, which can be quite difficult (if you decline then you get all the problems that would arise if you had told them you were not interested in the first place, and if you agree, then you have that problem to deal with instead).

Or, find a different way to deflect them in the first place.

Me, I say "My faith is a deeply private matter for me and my family, and I won't discuss it with anyone else. I'm very happy with the state of my soul." This makes just about any religious missionary assume you believe what they believe (almost all of them believe in souls) and that you're already saved, even though you didn't say that. It leads them to some wrong conclusions, mainly because they interpret what you said in their own religion-influenced way. It's not a rejection, so they will have no reason to complain about your professional conduct at work.

Safe, quick, and they stop bothering you because they think you're already playing for their team so no need to press you for discussion at your home.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
12-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Good advice.
You are indeed dealing with some highly skilled jineteros.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume