Response suggestions to being "saved" @ work?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Response suggestions to being "saved" @ work?
(12-04-2013 12:23 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 10:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Can you politely say that you don't think your workplace is the right setting for that discussion?

Of course, the risk here is their follow up question: "Good point, so how about we set up a time to come by your house and talk about it there?"

(I live in Utah, the land that spawns missionaries faster than World of Warcraft spawns mobs).

So be prepared to answer this question, which can be quite difficult (if you decline then you get all the problems that would arise if you had told them you were not interested in the first place, and if you agree, then you have that problem to deal with instead).

Or, find a different way to deflect them in the first place.

Me, I say "My faith is a deeply private matter for me and my family, and I won't discuss it with anyone else. I'm very happy with the state of my soul." This makes just about any religious missionary assume you believe what they believe (almost all of them believe in souls) and that you're already saved, even though you didn't say that. It leads them to some wrong conclusions, mainly because they interpret what you said in their own religion-influenced way. It's not a rejection, so they will have no reason to complain about your professional conduct at work.

Safe, quick, and they stop bothering you because they think you're already playing for their team so no need to press you for discussion at your home.

These and all above responses are all very much appreciated! Some of the people that come in an attempt to "save" me all have varying degrees of intensity so now I have a few great examples to keep in my pocket based on how intense my next "savior" appears. Honestly, I never thought I was so damn lost as these people think I am...I'm perfectly fine with a map book...I don't even own a GPS!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 01:21 PM
(12-04-2013 12:23 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 10:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Can you politely say that you don't think your workplace is the right setting for that discussion?

Of course, the risk here is their follow up question: "Good point, so how about we set up a time to come by your house and talk about it there?"

Me, I say "My faith is a deeply private matter for me and my family, and I won't discuss it with anyone else. I'm very happy with the state of my soul."

Both Anjele's response and yours give them an opening. Hers by using the workplace as an excuse and yours by introducing a point of discussion, that of the soul.

If you say what I wrote there is NO opening for them to exploit.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
(12-04-2013 01:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...

Maybe but the word "strangers" is alienating and that's not good customer-relationship stuff.

Better to say "with people who don't know me" (as opposed to "people I don't know")

Yes

12-04-2013, 01:53 PM
(12-04-2013 01:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 01:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...

Maybe but the word "strangers" is alienating and that's not good customer-relationship stuff.

Better to say "with people who don't know me" (as opposed to "people I don't know")

Yes

I like it, I amend my previous one liner to read:

"I'm sorry but it's my personal policy never to discuss religion or politics with people who don't know me. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-04-2013, 02:12 PM
That works.

Even if you want to scream that you aren't buying into the religious BS they are selling, some diplomacy is required to protect your way of making a living.

Unless you are independently wealthy, then blast off on anyone you want.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Thought I'd add 2 cents but everyone got there first. Welcome to the forum Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks morondog!

Unfortunately, I am NOT independently wealthy so all the advice is appreciated. However, I do SO wish I could spout off as I wish which brings me to mention something I failed to in the initial start of this thread....when I'm at my branch working, it's during the overnight shift and I'm the only person working. I think this is a huge reason why these soul savers feel the need to spend time with me, perhaps they see me as lonely, bored, etc. Who knows! Given the fact that I am by myself I am very tempted to just say what first pops in to my mind which would surely spawn a customer service complaint from these individuals, I'm sure...but at that point it's there word against mine!

And I must admit, so much of what I've read on all these forums within TTA is what has given me the "knockers" (I am female...) to speak my mind and stand up for my Atheistic view point. You are all great teachers! Bowing
12-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Oh so it's graveyard shift. Who the fuck goes a-converting at that time ? I propose that the only reason they're in there to convert you is 'cos *they're* bored and you're stuck there. Could make it more difficult to make them go away, as they won't really believe you if you say you've gotta work...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
They always come in for some sort of legitimate business..buying stamps, a money order, cashing a check. The weird thing is this church has a televised service every night and during that service they have a toll free number on the screen where people can phone in prayer requests Rolleyes Most of the people I see at night are just finishing up there shift of manning the phones and want to come cash there $100 check for doing so. Most of them are young adults as who are students in the churches bible institute. I'm wondering if maybe that's a homework assignment for them, to go out and "witness" to someone or "save" as many people as you can and then come back to class on Monday and boast about it. That wouldn't surprise me, it's probably an ego booster for them.
12-04-2013, 04:13 PM
And *therefore* when there's a trapped self-admitted atheist right there, they're gonna try spend a bit of time, 'cos who wants to fuck off into the cold night looking for atheists at 2 in the morning when you've already got one in front of you? If you didn't convert her, it's fine, because the conversion's up to God, but you've done your little assignment and can go home content that you've carried out the instruction of Ezekiel chapter X verse Y (I forget which it is but Ezekiel was a right bastard to say shit like "you gotta tell a wicked man off or you're as guilty as he is" - I tell ya what, it annoys the fuck outta us wicked men. )...

Dunno if you're gonna find it so easy to shove 'em out the door... Undecided