Response to mad as hell podcast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Response to mad as hell podcast
I realize its kinda late for that, but the thing is that I download the podcasts and listen to thsomeem on the bus, so I got to that podcast jusr now.
Anyway, any time I have an argument with my dad about theism, his claims always come down to "well its something simple people like you and me are simply not meant to understand, and you just have to take the word of the rabbi that its true", or something along the lines of "well there has to be something that created the mechanism of natural selection, who could it be if not god?".
I mean, he always hides brhind these abstract, stupid claims and I get so frustrated about that..

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2012, 02:56 PM
RE: Response to mad as hell podcast
(14-01-2012 02:44 PM)avrahams1 Wrote:  I realize its kinda late for that, but the thing is that I download the podcasts and listen to thsomeem on the bus, so I got to that podcast jusr now.
Anyway, any time I have an argument with my dad about theism, his claims always come down to "well its something simple people like you and me are simply not meant to understand, and you just have to take the word of the rabbi that its true", or something along the lines of "well there has to be something that created the mechanism of natural selection, who could it be if not god?".
I mean, he always hides brhind these abstract, stupid claims and I get so frustrated about that..

"not meant to understand" assumes the existence of a god, doesn't it? So that's no argument.

"Something created ..." assumes that it is not simply a natural process. Again, FAIL.

Hang in there.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2012, 03:17 PM
The same thing happens to me. Any time I have a discussion with my parents it always comes down to, "It's just a feeling I have," or, "You just have to have faith."

Unbelievably frustrating.
[+] 2 users Like Ben's post
14-01-2012, 03:28 PM
(14-01-2012 02:44 PM)avrahams1 Wrote:  I realize its kinda late for that, but the thing is that I download the podcasts and listen to thsomeem on the bus, so I got to that podcast jusr now.

So the rabbi isn't a simple human like you or your dad, some kind of ultra-human? If humans are "too simple" to understand god, how can he trust rabbi?
[+] 2 users Like imralav's post
14-01-2012, 04:12 PM
i dont push my family often, but when i do i really push. the normal response in my family is 'no Undecided ' with no actual comeback my dad and older sister with an uncomfortable face and my little sister pissed of and calls me a ... shes 14 that doesnt really matter. it annoys me that they dont even want the truth, they dont even try apologist stuff

Google is one of my best friends Heart
15-01-2012, 12:39 AM
(14-01-2012 03:28 PM)imralav Wrote:  

So the rabbi isn't a simple human like you or your dad, some kind of ultra-human? If humans are "too simple" to understand god, how can he trust rabbi?
In his eyes yes, the rabbi is some privilaged super-human that we're not allowed to question... how do I go about disputing such an absurd claim?

Douglas Adams
15-01-2012, 03:43 AM
(15-01-2012 12:39 AM)avrahams1 Wrote:  

In his eyes yes, the rabbi is some privilaged super-human that we're not allowed to question... how do I go about disputing such an absurd claim?

Now I am stuck. I have no idea how I would respond to that. I clearly see that it's bullshit, but I can't find a way of disputing it.
15-01-2012, 07:55 AM

How can we simple people determine who is the privileged super-human we should listen to?
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
15-01-2012, 08:15 AM
(15-01-2012 07:55 AM)Ben Wrote:  

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

How can we simple people determine who is the privileged super-human we should listen to?

Douglas Adams
17-01-2012, 04:51 AM
*I'll try it in the next debate with my dad:-)

Douglas Adams