Response to sis-in-law zealot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Response to sis-in-law zealot
Hello...
First post on this forum, and I could use some help.
I have an obnoxious, narcissistic, in-your-face sister-in-law zealot that is WAY over-the-top in her efforts to save me.
The only thing I want to be saved from is her religious bullying.
She just sent me this quote:

“If I’m wrong about God then I wasted my life. If you’re wrong about God then you wasted your eternity.”

Can anyone help me with a good response or opposing quote?

Thanks in advance...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2015, 10:55 AM
RE: Response to sis-in-law zealot
Tell her if she is wrong about god she can potentially be wasting eternaty as well. She might have the wrong god. I'm fact I'd start fucking with her. I'm assuming she is a Christian so tell her you have converted to Islam. Then you can use a similar tactic against her.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
27-03-2015, 11:18 AM
(27-03-2015 09:11 AM)navigide Wrote:  Hello...
First post on this forum, and I could use some help.
I have an obnoxious, narcissistic, in-your-face sister-in-law zealot that is WAY over-the-top in her efforts to save me.
The only thing I want to be saved from is her religious bullying.
She just sent me this quote:

“If I’m wrong about God then I wasted my life. If you’re wrong about God then you wasted your eternity.”

Thanks in advance...

Welcome.

Pascal's wager. I would say that she wasted far worse. If you are right and this is the only life we get then she wasted her one life on a fantasy. If there is an all-knowing creator who knows you, then he would HAVE to have known that the "proof" that is present would not convince you. If he wants to convince you, he would know exactly what it would take to convince you. If you have honestly searched and given it a fair shake and he still wants to burn you, then he is not worthy of your worship or allegiance.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-03-2015, 11:32 AM
You could show her the extended Pascal's Wager:
[Image: aVSVQ.png]

Or, you could simply point out that believing in God just for the sake of avoiding hell is selfish and pretentious. Would God want you to do that?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 8 users Like undergroundp's post
27-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Ask her if she believes in the flying spaghetti monster. Tell her she has to, or there will be consequences. Ask her if she tried really hard, could she choose to believe in the FSM. No? That's because belief isn't a choice. You can't force yourself to believe in something.

Maybe you could pretend to believe in god... Well, sure you could, but an omniscient god would KNOW you're lying. He would also KNOW why it's impossible to believe and what it would take to make you believe. If he is omnipotent, he has the power to give you the evidence you require. And, if he is benevolent, he will either provide this evidence, or forgive you upon your death.

So he's your creator. Before you were even born, he knew what your future held. He knows your every thought. He can supply you with what you need to believe in him... And yet, he doesn't (or hasn't). If he punishes you upon your death, he's a complete cunt, unworthy of worship, and has nobody to blame for your actions but himself (since he set the exact course of events for your life).
27-03-2015, 01:52 PM
(27-03-2015 09:11 AM)navigide Wrote:  “If I’m wrong about God then I wasted my life. If you’re wrong about God then you wasted your eternity.”

There are two problems with this approach:

1) Can you "make" yourself believe in something? I'll be honest: when I stopped believing in Christianity, I tried for nearly two years to get myself to believe again and couldn't. It doesn't work that way.

2) As mentioned by others, her view assumes two possible conclusions: her god or no god. Others have already mentioned the existence of other gods, but keep this in mind: the whole point of Pascal's Wager is to try and use math to convince you to believe absent of any other evidence. That last part is important. No one can prove God exists, so they're trying to make it look more reasonable by saying you can't prove he doesn't exist and building off of that.

If she considers this a valid tactic, ask her if she can prove that the One True God doesn't reward rational thinking and punish blind faith. If she says "there's no reason to believe in that god", then throw that right back at her for her god. If she accepts it as a possibility, she now has an indeterminate solution to her problem; there is no "winning" move, as no one knows what god is the "real" one.

There is a second option you could try:

Pascal's Wager assumes there's any credibility to her idea of God and an eternal heaven and hell. Ask her for evidence of these things. If she can't provide them, ask her now she knows her god will punish disbelief, or that he exists at all?

Sure, she'll still throw that whole "but if you're wrong" thing back at you, but hell, she can't prove we're not in the Matrix. She's not taking that into serious consideration, is she?

Evidence first, consideration second.

Also, welcome!
[Image: awesome-lg_zpsa8897ee6.png]
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Why don't you invite her to go fuck herself and jesus.

That should do it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
28-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Just tell her "as long as you're going to heaven I will happily go to hell."

That'll shut her up.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
28-03-2015, 10:37 AM
As other's have pointed out, this is the ignorant scare tactic called paschal's wager.

Pascal's Wager - It is a "safe bet" to believe in God just in case he is real. What's the harm? If you believe and he doesn't exist, you don't lose anything, but if you don't believe and he does exist, you lose big time.

One cannot pretend to believe, one either does or does not. I surmise that a large percentage of "christians" go through the motions under this pretense. If there is a god, I am sure he can see through the pretending..the greatest problem with the wager is its suggestion that a rational person can knowingly will himself to believe a proposition for which he has no evidence. A person can profess any creed he likes, of course, but to really believe something, he must also believe that the belief under consideration is true.

Show her this Smile

[Image: 160d8qd.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
28-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Which god? Drinking Beverage

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post