Responsibility

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2012, 06:33 AM
RE: Responsibility
(12-09-2012 09:46 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So excuse my ignorance but I assume the PhD is in rocks and stuff?

So how does someone with such a high qualification get rocks mixed up?
Even when pointed out that it's wrong they hang tight that it's not.

Especially if this is a week 1,2,3 lab and so I assume it's basics and such. So she SHOULD know this.

Also how hard is it to set up samples on a tray? Are the samples not categorically organized? This box is labeled Basalt hence this rock chunk must be Basalt etc... Like a mechanics nuts and bolts (well.. organized mechanics). Does she just keep this things laying around in a big box labeled "rock samples" or something?

Some of the rocks in the cabinets are poorly organized (part of a job she was tasked with also but not solely hers). I have no doubt that someone put the dolomite in with the K-spar and magnetite in with the basalt (but any geologist with half a brain should have picked up either while painting numbers on them and thought "this doesn't seem like ")

I think someone else hit the nail on the head by saying that she is overcompensating since she has her PhD but it is still very new (rocks and shit is the jist of it). I don't know why she is so adamant about defending the specimens. Let's say I am the asshole and I am wrong about the "talc" not being talc. Okay, I accept that could be the case because there are some small white nodules within the larger specimen that may be soft enough to scratch, my second point is that intro-level students shouldn't be given such ambiguous specimens. THE defining characteristic of talc is its softness and these samples are either not talc or have only small pockets of talc in a mass of some other mineral.

Another part of the issue is the new lab manual we are using, it really is atrocious. Having said that, she also seems intent on defending it too (probably because she picked it). At the very least the labs don't seem to have been run through before (she claims to have used these labs over the summer, but she was over-joyed to discover that it came with an answer-key so she didn't have to make one, this makes me quite suspicious that either A) she never used it or B) she did not use all of it or C) she had them use it but never really looked at it.)

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2012, 07:23 AM
I had a similar experience last semester, the teacher messed the whole semester for the sake of changing things, I told him he was messing things up but did he listen? OH NO! who would listen to the student when it comes to organizing a class! obviously the teacher know better ¬¬

I learned something from that, first of all, PATIENCE, it's of no use to get all frustrated because the boss is an ass, just go with it, make your job right so when everything blows up you're safe.
Second, UNDERGROUND TEACHING, I assume you want your students to learn, then teach them what you can, even if it's behind the boss's back.
Third, IMPROVISE, the errors will pop up every now and then, but don't panic, try to appear helpful to your boss, make it look like it's not entirely her fault and that she can trust you to fix things.

If done correctly, when she realises she fucked up the labs, then she'll turn to you for help, and that's when you kill... ehem... make things all right Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-09-2012, 09:48 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I can't fucking win with this person. The book describes something incorrectly (it says muscovite is colorless), I point it out to them, the person asserts that not only is the manual correct, but that mineralogy texts all describe it as such...mine doesn't.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Update.

Needless to say I was not the only TA at wit's end. The result is that the department chair (her former advisor) has stepped in to give feedback and provide her with some accountability. He will be sitting in on our TA meeting tomorrow, we shall see how this goes. Trying to teach labs that require more knowledge than I have time to give them in a lecture before lab begins is starting to piss me off...

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
21-09-2012, 09:09 AM
That meeting lasted all of 7 minutes. Her response to criticism? Abandon all responsibility and say "you pick out the questions to do in the labs." So she has switched from totalitarian fool, to trying be hands-off to the point that she can point the finger of blame solely at us in the event that something goes wrong. The problem with that? The new TA's are the ones who are getting screwed.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
21-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Responsibility
(21-09-2012 09:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That meeting lasted all of 7 minutes. Her response to criticism? Abandon all responsibility and say "you pick out the questions to do in the labs." So she has switched from totalitarian fool, to trying be hands-off to the point that she can point the finger of blame solely at us in the event that something goes wrong. The problem with that? The new TA's are the ones who are getting screwed.

Welcome to the world of academia that you have chosen to spend your life in. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-09-2012, 09:35 AM
(21-09-2012 09:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 09:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That meeting lasted all of 7 minutes. Her response to criticism? Abandon all responsibility and say "you pick out the questions to do in the labs." So she has switched from totalitarian fool, to trying be hands-off to the point that she can point the finger of blame solely at us in the event that something goes wrong. The problem with that? The new TA's are the ones who are getting screwed.

Welcome to the world of academia that you have chosen to spend your life in. Tongue

I refuse to consider this woman a member of academia. She would be better suited at teaching monkeys to flip burgers.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
21-09-2012, 09:47 AM
(21-09-2012 09:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 09:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Welcome to the world of academia that you have chosen to spend your life in. Tongue

I refuse to consider this woman a member of academia. She would be better suited at teaching monkeys to flip burgers.

That actually would require quite a bit of knowledge and skill. But imagine the money you could make. Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
21-09-2012, 09:59 AM
It is not only that she has shifted the burden to the TA's (I have TA'ed labs before that require me to make them and set them up, so I can do them without her guidance...of course I have already been doing that but you get my point) but that her response (and almost her word for word suggestion) was that we "do whatever we want." There are 7 TA's who were just told to do whatever questions they want to in the lab manual and that they can even add questions if they like. How many different iterations of each lab do you think the students will get week to week? How is that fair when they will still be given a midterm and final designed from her? She says that every section is optional, but she will be asking them questions from the labs...so how the fuck do they know what to do on their own and how do I know what to tell them to study?

URGH. It pisses me off when someone just throws up their hands and essentially says "I absolve myself from this. You do it. But I still reserve the right to evaluate your students based on my perceptions of how the labs should be run." Bah. Fool.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
21-09-2012, 10:24 AM
at least she won't be bothering you...

edit: scrap that, I got it wrong Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post