Rest in peace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Rest in peace
Am I the only one who cringes at this saying? Am I being overly sensitive or ridiculous? To me, it implies the dead person has the opportunity to rest now, as in, there's an afterlife.

Saying "rest in peace" is doubly annoying to me because why say it? Do you really think the dead person knows you typed it on Facebook or mumbled it to your roommate? Are you trying to let the general public know you believe in fairy tales?

I don't see it as a show of respect, am I wrong?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
02-11-2014, 09:56 PM
RE: Rest in peace
I guess it depends. In some ways I can see it as a way of saying, "I hope you went out peacefully." while others may have a religious undertone to it. I don't take it personally or offensively. I often hope that those who pass do it peacefully, so part of me thinks of it as a way of saying, "I hope you went out without pain."

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
02-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Maybe its just me but I never saw this as having religious undertones.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
02-11-2014, 09:59 PM
In my humble opinion, that's probably being a bit overly sensitive. Smile

I think the absence of everything sounds very peaceful… like silence.
[+] 7 users Like LadyJane's post
02-11-2014, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 10:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-11-2014 09:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Am I the only one who cringes at this saying? Am I being overly sensitive or ridiculous? To me, it implies the dead person has the opportunity to rest now, as in, there's an afterlife.

Saying "rest in peace" is doubly annoying to me because why say it? Do you really think the dead person knows you typed it on Facebook or mumbled it to your roommate? Are you trying to let the general public know you believe in fairy tales?

I don't see it as a show of respect, am I wrong?

I actually see it as a denial of a real belief in an afterlife.
Is "resting in peace" what they claim they're going to be doing up 'dere by Jebus ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-11-2014, 10:02 PM
A boyfriend of mine from high school died a little over a year ago. (kinda creepy oh shit moment) He really struggled with life, his whole life. Rest in peace popped in my head because it's a phrase I am so familiar with but it also seemed sort of fitting in that he was done with all the battles he had been fighting. I didn't really tie it to any sort of religious message.

It doesn't bother me any more than a 'God bless you' does. It's just something people say and they say it automatically without much thought.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Ya, I'm cool with RIP. It's never come across as Religous to me. Although I'm sure anyone who says it that believes is imagining the dead person sleeping in Jeebus' lap like a dog or some such ridiculousness.

But don't feel bad Willy, I get stuff stuck in my craw that doesn't belong there all the time. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-11-2014, 10:10 PM
I don't find RIP offensive at all. I just see it as a way to acknowledge that someone's journey is over. No more worries for them.

"They're in a better place" on the other hand... Angry

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 6 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
02-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Wow, never have I gotten so many responses so quickly to one of my posts! Some very interesting points.

Can of Beans and Logisch: I hope I didn't imply I was offended by RIP, just annoyed. And yes, "In a better place" is indeed very telling and ridiculous. Also, saying, "I hope YOU went peacefully" sounds awfully a lot like you're talking to this dead person as if they can hear you. What I would say, if pressed, is I hope he or she died peacefully. And, this is actually a different thing altogether really, because you are saying how they died, where as RIP means they are now resting in a peaceful state.

Stark: I agree with you in that I feel when people say it they are envisioning some sort of opportunity to relax now. I can't see that as anything but an afterlife, and that makes me cringe.

Anjele: Yes, people do say things automatically, and that makes me wonder if we shouldn't make a conscious effort to think about what we are saying. I refuse to say "bless you" anymore, and not because I'm an atheist, but because I actually did the research into why people say it and all of the ridiculous reasons, and they are all absolutely stupid. I might say "salute" because that means "to your health" in Italian, but other than that, "bless you" is off the table for me now. And I think this is the root of my thoughts on RIP.

Bucky: Actually, yes, I do think that's what they mean. I think most of the people saying it (not the ones who just say it because it's the thing to do) really envision souls and personalities now relieved of the stress of everyday life on earth and resting peacefully on some cloud or at the right hand of some made-up deity.

Ultimately, I think it must be religious in nature, so I will continue to cringe, but I won't mention it or make it a point of contention in my social circles.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2014, 10:37 PM
To me, it's an acknowledgement of the end of suffering. Since many people suffer before dying, it's a way of saying "may you be better off now that you no longer have to suffer" - i.e. rest peacefully. We do say it even for people that never suffered, but I have always thought this was the result of overgeneralizing the phrase. In terms of an afterlife, "rest" seems like it would be an odd way to refer to it. I agree with Bucky, it seems to say the opposite.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post