Rest in peace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 08:08 AM
RE: Rest in peace
(03-11-2014 02:02 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  It's usually addressed to the dead person, right?

There's no point talking to a dead person because they're fucking dead, so it's a waste of breath.

I see it as a way to say a final "Good-bye," more for me than for them, I guess. Just another way to put a period at the end of a sentence.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Am I the only one who always thought it was a plea for the dead not to rise up and consume us all?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-11-2014, 08:31 AM
The only problem we should have with the concept of "rest in peace" is when people use it as an excuse for violence or revenge on the basis that a dead person can't rest in peace until they've committed a violent act that inevitably benefits the person claiming the person can't rest in peace until it is done.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
03-11-2014, 08:39 AM
(03-11-2014 02:02 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  It's usually addressed to the dead person, right?

There's no point talking to a dead person because they're fucking dead, so it's a waste of breath.

Anything and everything about grieving and death is always only about the survivors.

I see it kind of like a expression that people are moving on, the final good bye they didn't get to say when it was still possible, it's closure.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Re: Rest in peace
I've always considered it also as an acknowledgment of the end of their journey. Much like you'd need a rest after a long trip.

I don't want anyone to say it when I'm dead, though. I've told my family that when I'm gone, harvest any useful organs & tissues, cremate what's left or donate my skeleton to a school, and don't bother with a tombstone.

If not, well, I won't know any better anyway. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
03-11-2014, 02:12 PM
[Image: IMG_6206.jpg]

...motherfucker. Just goes to show different flames light our wick. RIP doesn't bother me, but a mofo says "I'll pray for you," the devil inside wants to give that pompous ass something to pray for...

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-11-2014, 02:22 PM
I treat RIP as if I'm talking to my internal representation of the person. Whatever relationship I had can now be set aside; I no longer have to worry about the person or take their concerns into account. It is especially true of any problems or hurt feelings for which it is too late to resolve. My internal avatar for them can now just rest (kind of like the recent forgiveness thread).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
03-11-2014, 02:22 PM
I can't imagine death being very restful to be honest, in any imagining of what happens when you die.

The scientific idea that you probably have an epic DMT trip (providing you are not killed by brain damage) on the border between life and death sounds like it could be restful though; based on your personality.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
03-11-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the original (and current) meaning of this phrase is that of one's soul being at rest.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
(03-11-2014 02:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the original (and current) meaning of this phrase is that of one's soul being at rest.

+1 ... And that's what made me cringe just a tad and prompted this thread.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me