Rest in peace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 03:30 PM
RE: Rest in peace
(02-11-2014 09:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Am I the only one who cringes at this saying? Am I being overly sensitive or ridiculous? To me, it implies the dead person has the opportunity to rest now, as in, there's an afterlife.

Saying "rest in peace" is doubly annoying to me because why say it? Do you really think the dead person knows you typed it on Facebook or mumbled it to your roommate? Are you trying to let the general public know you believe in fairy tales?

I don't see it as a show of respect, am I wrong?

No, you're not the only one...

For me, I hate it party because it's ridiculous and illogical, but also because I think its a very lazy way of showing respect (respect to the deceased's family and friends that is).

Usually, people don't even bother to say it in full... Abbreviating it to RIP. When somebody famous, or significant dies, all that people can bring to mind is three fucking letters?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Can we now get annoyed by the abbreviation VIP? RIP is so... last week.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
(03-11-2014 03:09 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 02:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the original (and current) meaning of this phrase is that of one's soul being at rest.

+1 ... And that's what made me cringe just a tad and prompted this thread.

This is my view too. For one thing if someone is "resting" that means there is some sort of life going on. Like the eyes are closed and you're taking a long snooze. You don't rest when you're dead. You're fuckin' dead, how can you rest when you don't exist anymore.

I have a bigger problem with "passed on" though. Did the person go through some door or pass through a turnstile?

I think people don't ever want to say the word "dead" in reference to another human being, so people just don't die anymore. They "pass on" and then they "rest in peace".

I know I've shocked people when I say my mother is "dead". They're very, very uncomfortable with the word "dead". But the fact is, my mother is dead. I loved her so much, but she's dead. It's reality.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
(03-11-2014 03:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  Can we now get annoyed by the abbreviation VIP? RIP is so... last week.

No...

Because VIPs are usually complete bastards that nobody likes.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user