Resurrection..the myth, the fable, the outrageous lie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2015, 05:44 AM
RE: Resurrection..the myth, the fable, the outrageous lie
Christians really have a hard time realizing their religion is not unique.

Whenever we celebrate Easter here, people feel they are the REAL Christians, because we slay the lamb like the Jews did -ignoring the fact that the custom of actually eating the sacrificed animal was common mostly in the Ancient Greek religion- and they're all like "Lol, we so Christian, we so Orthodox, we no pagan, Greece be the land of God".

They're hilarious.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
26-03-2015, 06:05 AM
(25-03-2015 03:44 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  As I notice the easter bunnies coming out in stores and everyone preparing for the holiday, I can't help but giggle when I think about how whenever I ask Xtians what separates their religion from others, and they proudly proclaim "The resurrection!"
Without the resurrection, there is no Christianity. Paul wrote, "And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not." (I Corinthians 15:14-15)

I never really understood this notion. I thought the whole "hope" of Christianity came from salvation, and that salvation was attained by Christ's death. He died for our sins. The whole resurrection thing was him getting out of paying the price of our salvation, which means of of two things:

1) Salvation could have been free, and the crucifixion was unnecessary (creepy), or

2) God... tricked himself?

I mean, what the fuck?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-03-2015, 07:09 AM
(26-03-2015 06:05 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I never really understood this notion. I thought the whole "hope" of Christianity came from salvation, and that salvation was attained by Christ's death. He died for our sins. The whole resurrection thing was him getting out of paying the price of our salvation, which means of of two things:

1) Salvation could have been free, and the crucifixion was unnecessary (creepy), or

I mean, what the fuck?
I've never understood what's so special about pretending to be dead for three days. The temporary "sacrifice" from an entity that can supposedly do anything is meaningless. Visiting a prison from which you have the authority to escape is not a conviction. If god went to hell, only to be released at the behest of his detractors, THAT would be a sacrifice.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
26-03-2015, 07:10 AM
(26-03-2015 06:05 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 03:44 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  As I notice the easter bunnies coming out in stores and everyone preparing for the holiday, I can't help but giggle when I think about how whenever I ask Xtians what separates their religion from others, and they proudly proclaim "The resurrection!"
Without the resurrection, there is no Christianity. Paul wrote, "And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not." (I Corinthians 15:14-15)

I never really understood this notion. I thought the whole "hope" of Christianity came from salvation, and that salvation was attained by Christ's death. He died for our sins. The whole resurrection thing was him getting out of paying the price of our salvation, which means of of two things:

I mean, what the fuck?

Apparently god tricked his followers.
So god is going to demonstrate his understanding of suffering, but then makes an exception for his son. Unlike the other souls that spend an eternity in hell, Jesus just gets a long weekend in hell. I guess his human blood sacrifice isn't sufficient to keep people out of hell. God's still angry and if he can't get a blood sacrifice, he'll roast you for all of eternity as payment.

The price still needs to be payed for sins, Jesus' blood just isn't going to cut it.

Apparently this whole paying-for-sins thing makes sense to Christians, even though most Christians maintain that children under the age of accountability get into heaven, apparently because god wants to forgive them.

So god can simply decide to forgive without a blood sacrifice, unless you're too smart and understand too much, then you'll fry unless you have faith in his human blood sacrifice to himself.

Should I queue up the apologist retort? "You don't understand what the bible is really saying!"

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
26-03-2015, 07:48 AM
(26-03-2015 07:10 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Unlike the other souls that spend an eternity in hell, Jesus just gets a long weekend in hell.

No, it was a normal weekend (two days). It just started early. His tomb was found empty Sunday morning.

Friday to Saturday = 1 day
Saturday to Sunday = 1 day

The whole three day thing is another example about them not being good at math. Apparently two equals three and pi equals three, as well. Weird...
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Hey, Goodwithoutgod; thanks for the clear explanations of the history of the early gods, makes so much more sense now. One thing I keep running through, and can't seem to wrap my head around: Since all the virgin birth, death and resurrection stuff is untrue fables and myth, my question; WHY did so many, immediately following JC's ascent into heaven, begin to form a group (church) and to preach about those events? I'm interested in the very first years (Post resurrection) when those followers of JC began to convert others to their group. If Bart Erhman and others have addressed this issue, I've missed it. I'd love to read your take on this subject since your research and writing is so complete and clear. Thanks for your posts.
[+] 1 user Likes Almos's post
26-03-2015, 02:16 PM
(26-03-2015 07:48 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(26-03-2015 07:10 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Unlike the other souls that spend an eternity in hell, Jesus just gets a long weekend in hell.

No, it was a normal weekend (two days). It just started early. His tomb was found empty Sunday morning.

Friday to Saturday = 1 day
Saturday to Sunday = 1 day

The whole three day thing is another example about them not being good at math. Apparently two equals three and pi equals three, as well. Weird...

I've repeatedly pointed this out to our theist trolls visitors; it's "on the third day, ..." Day 1, day 2, day 3; 3 - 1 = 2.

They confuse ordinals and cardinals. Maybe that has something to do with ordination of cardinals, but probably not. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Isn't it just semantics, the whole three days or two days thing? I mean, the fable says he was dead on Friday, dead on Saturday, dead at some point on Sunday and then came back to life. It may not be 72 hours (hell, it may be less than 48), but given all of the other bullshit in this story, do we really want to semantically defend this line? Who the hell cares? The amount of time he was dead means nothing.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
26-03-2015, 02:48 PM
(26-03-2015 02:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Isn't it just semantics, the whole three days or two days thing? I mean, the fable says he was dead on Friday, dead on Saturday, dead at some point on Sunday and then came back to life. It may not be 72 hours (hell, it may be less than 48), but given all of the other bullshit in this story, do we really want to semantically defend this line? Who the hell cares? The amount of time he was dead means nothing.

It is pointing out that they don't even understand their own fucking myth. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Fair enough. At the end of the day, that's the least of their problems.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me