Retirement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Retirement
I have a dream.

That one day people will not be judged by the color of...No wait. I have a dream to one day not have to work full time. To be free to do what I want, when I want. To have my obligations limited to friends and family. I have a dream to relax. Ahh yes, I love to relax. I have a dream that any work I do, is work I choose to do because I enjoy it, not because I need to make a living.

I'm trying to fast track my dream. I want to retire by 50, or at the latest 55. To do this, I'll be no workaholic (why ruin these years of my life?). Just frugal, responsible, and hopefully intelligent on my spending and savings strategy. I don't expect I will get any social security, so that is not part of my plans. But still, my dream is so far away........

So TTA, who is retired here? I'd love to hear about your awesome retirement strategies, or even your retired life (what you choose to do with much of your time). Indulge me, let me live vicariously through you Thumbsup.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 12:27 PM
RE: Retirement
I recently retired for the third time with the intent to stay retired.

The other two times were at 45 and 52 and I soon got a bee in my bonnet about one idea or another. Had to go make it happen.

This time I think it will take, although you never know with me.

I'm living life in the slow lane now, enjoying raising a puppy at the moment, I enjoy my gardens (flower and veggies) and long walks. Mostly I just do what I want when I want and it's nice. It's "MY TIME". Just being me.

Retirement can be very different for different people. Some love it, some hate it.

My dad hated it, he was lost and eventually started to write a book to fill his time.

Me, I like it, but apparently keep running into things I enjoy more.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I've been retired for nearly 10 years.

Everyone I know who is still working is miserable. Corporate America is the pits.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
04-09-2014, 12:56 PM
I do not plan to retire as long as my health holds. No way I can be a knock around the house person. I would be bored to death. I would like to leave the 40+ hour a week corporate rat race after my kids are out of the house. Teaching has appeal due to the long time off and I do like teaching and kids. Work in the medical field like x-ray, MRI, etc tech sounds nice too, since I could probably swing part time work.
04-09-2014, 01:35 PM
My wife just retired from her teaching job of 12 years, but now she's writing full time, so, she's not really "retired".
04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
My retirement plan:

Step 1)
- Getz all teh moneyz

Step 2)
- Retire

I figure this will take about 5-8 years allowing me to retire around 28-31ish.
Should have just done that.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
04-09-2014, 04:42 PM
(04-09-2014 03:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  My retirement plan:

Step 1)
- Getz all teh moneyz

Step 2)
- Retire

The lottery is my plan B Weeping

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
04-09-2014, 04:46 PM
(04-09-2014 04:42 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 03:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  My retirement plan:

Step 1)
- Getz all teh moneyz

Step 2)
- Retire

The lottery is my plan B Weeping

The lottery is my only plan, but I'm keeping my job just in case.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Seriously though, I don't think it's that hard.
You just need to a) not have kids b) don't get married because when you get divorced there goes half your shit (unless they're richer then you in which case this becomes a valid strategy) c) don't buy an expensive car/vehicle. Car's are a huge money waste. They don't hold value and their purpose is the same if they're $500 or $50,000. Exceptions obviously, but as long as you have one that is fuel efficient and reliable then it doesn't need to be fancy. d) Have as big as possible deposit when you buy a home and don't buy one at your limit if you can find one that you like and fits your brief at a fraction of your limit. And never go over your limit. e) put money aside in a savings account (that you can't touch until a specific date/age) each pay check. Even 2% adds up, especially with interest. f) before you buy something on a whim stop and think, "do I need this or should I instead save the money". g) go on cheaper holidays and look out for deals and cheap flights. Often if you book several months in advance you can get it alot cheaper. h) get one of those things that tell you how much power you're using and use it to conserve power. Turn off lights, unplug stuff etc.. i) shop around, find cheaper power companies, phone companies etc.. j) shop at cheaper stores k) Don't buy lots of cloths, just what you need. l) Walk, don't drive. m) Cook, don't get fast food (plus it's healthier) n) some times more expensive is cheaper. ie: shoes (because they last longer), bulk buying. o) be on the benefit for 4 years, that'll teach you how to save.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-09-2014, 07:15 PM
invest early and hard. I am fixing to retire from a 30 year career, and will roll right into my next career. By the time I retire in a year and half from the military, my wife will have completed her masters degree in criminal justice with specializations in homeland security and critical incident management...which should equal a rather decent job. I will probably roll right into a defense related job starting out at close to what I make now. But because I didn't invest early and hard, even with a 75% of my pay for life retirement from the military, I will have to work another 15 years with the wife working as well, so we can catch up to build a big enough nest egg to truly retire and live off the residuals.

Learn from my mistakes, invest well, often and as much as you can in a diversified portfolio. I am only investing about $14k or so a year right now into various programs, and that still isnt enough to catch up. 15-20% of your pay is what you need to do, and I can't afford that until the wife is working.

Best of luck

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post