RetroPie - Retro Gaming Troubles on a Raspberry Pi 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 07:35 PM
RetroPie - Retro Gaming Troubles on a Raspberry Pi 3
I've seen RetroPie Machines in action, and I decided to build one. I love Retro Games and I'm a nerd so it seemed perfect for me - but goddammit all to hell! I can't get the frickin PS3 controllers to pair via bluetooth and can't get my 4K TV to play nice with it. FUCK! It's been a nightmare. I can only play it on my Livingroom TV 4ft away via a USB cable. I've nearly destroyed a keyboard out of pure anger. Has anyone else built one of these things. They are awesome when they are set up properly, just having too crippling issues with mine at the moment.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2016, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 01:56 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: RetroPie - Retro Gaming Troubles on a Raspberry Pi 3
Sorry I can't be of more help. I just have my PC duplicate it's display out to my monitor and my TV, depending on whether or not I want a mouse and keyboard (Fallout 4) or a controller (Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen). Fortunately I have a small room (and a futon) that makes the whole setup work.

I do have a cracked PSP with custom firmware, but that's as close as I ever got to something like that.

One thing I can think of however, as this sometimes comes up in PC gaming. Check to make sure that your Raspberry Pi is outputting at the same refresh rate as the TV that's not working (60Hz or 120Hz for a consumer grade 4K TV). Also double check that the number on the box or in the manual isn't selling you marketing bullshit. It looks like some manufacturers are over hyping their numbers with names like 'TruMotion 240', which is really a 120Hz display. If it's trying to output to any other refresh rate, it will cause a blank screen. This happens in PC gaming often enough, if a game's settings accidentally change or if the user overrides it's settings to run at a refresh rate not supported by the monitor, the game just won't display anything but a blank screen.

Here's hoping it's something just that simple.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
12-05-2016, 02:52 PM
(12-05-2016 01:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Sorry I can't be of more help. I just have my PC duplicate it's display out to my monitor and my TV, depending on whether or not I want a mouse and keyboard (Fallout 4) or a controller (Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen). Fortunately I have a small room (and a futon) that makes the whole setup work.

I do have a cracked PSP with custom firmware, but that's as close as I ever got to something like that.

One thing I can think of however, as this sometimes comes up in PC gaming. Check to make sure that your Raspberry Pi is outputting at the same refresh rate as the TV that's not working (60Hz or 120Hz for a consumer grade 4K TV). Also double check that the number on the box or in the manual isn't selling you marketing bullshit. It looks like some manufacturers are over hyping their numbers with names like 'TruMotion 240', which is really a 120Hz display. If it's trying to output to any other refresh rate, it will cause a blank screen. This happens in PC gaming often enough, if a game's settings accidentally change or if the user overrides it's settings to run at a refresh rate not supported by the monitor, the game just won't display anything but a blank screen.

Here's hoping it's something just that simple.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

After 5 days of beating my head against the wall I figured out by trial and error what configuration line I needed to enter to my config file to make it work correctly with my TV. Fuck yeah! FYI, in theory the TV takes the lower quality signal and upscales it. But that wasn't the issue at all - just needed to tell my Pi to output more power to my HDMI port. Big Grin

Now the Bluetooth issue Censored Seems a stupid enough an issue. Followed at least 10 guides all with very different steps to try and make it work and no luck so far. I'll figure it out eventually - maybe.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
13-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Well...I figured out why my video wasn't working properly, I think. Not enough signal power through HDMI cords, and I can't really fix it.Fuck! Yeah, it's worse than ever. Fixed my bluetooth though. Playing some Super Mario RPG Now Big Grin