Return Unused Portion for Credit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Return Unused Portion for Credit
Well, apparently not prescription meds.

Back when I had a good health plan this issue wasn't an issue, but now that I have to pay for my meds mostly out of pocket the issue arises thus:

Went to ER with severe shoulder pain deemed strain. After killing the pain with two sets of pills and an injection, was prescribed the following post-TX protocol: Take two std pills of Ibuprofen 3 times daily. An hour after taking the Ibuprofen if pain persisted, then take a narcotic. If after another hour pain was still severe take another, more powerful narcotic. Went to the pharmacy and bought the two narcotics plus an anti-nausea med in case the narcotics cause nausea. $100 out of pocket.

Started with Ibuprofen, never needed any of the narcotic. The ER TX had accomplished the main muscle relaxing and residual strain was easily managed with the Ibuprofen. So now I have three bottles of pills I never cracked open and don't ever foresee using. $100 spent for nothing other than precautionary inventory.

If these meds had been packed in sealed bottles the way mayonnaise is sealed in the supermarket perhaps they could be returned. But not all precautionary protocol paraphernalia is pills in bottles - it seems to me there's a significant issue here with having to fund in advance precautionary medical apparatus with no mechanism to facilitate its return if unused. I can absorb the $100 but for others it might not be so easy - or it couldv'e been $1000.

Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2016, 03:37 PM
RE: Return Unused Portion for Credit
(02-02-2016 03:10 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Well, apparently not prescription meds.

Back when I had a good health plan this issue wasn't an issue, but now that I have to pay for my meds mostly out of pocket the issue arises thus:

Went to ER with severe shoulder pain deemed strain. After killing the pain with two sets of pills and an injection, was prescribed the following post-TX protocol: Take two std pills of Ibuprofen 3 times daily. An hour after taking the Ibuprofen if pain persisted, then take a narcotic. If after another hour pain was still severe take another, more powerful narcotic. Went to the pharmacy and bought the two narcotics plus an anti-nausea med in case the narcotics cause nausea. $100 out of pocket.

Started with Ibuprofen, never needed any of the narcotic. The ER TX had accomplished the main muscle relaxing and residual strain was easily managed with the Ibuprofen. So now I have three bottles of pills I never cracked open and don't ever foresee using. $100 spent for nothing other than precautionary inventory.

If these meds had been packed in sealed bottles the way mayonnaise is sealed in the supermarket perhaps they could be returned. But not all precautionary protocol paraphernalia is pills in bottles - it seems to me there's a significant issue here with having to fund in advance precautionary medical apparatus with no mechanism to facilitate its return if unused. I can absorb the $100 but for others it might not be so easy - or it couldv'e been $1000.

Any thoughts?

I'll PM you my address so you can send them to me. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
02-02-2016, 03:42 PM

Any thoughts?

You should know someone who could sell it on the street for twicec that. Get your money back and then some!
02-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Any thoughts?

With proper "connections", you could probably sell them for more than what you paid. But you didn't hear that from me.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-02-2016, 04:08 PM
While you could certainly recoup your cost (and then some) by selling them, that would be illegal. Shocking

However, they have quite a long shelf life, so keeping them for a rainy day is a good idea.
I usually have some narcotic painkillers in my first aid kit, especially when away from immediate medical help like when hiking, canoeing, camping.
If you are injured, those may make it possible to function enough to get help - severe pain can immobilize you.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Wow that is a big economic inefficiency. I wonder how big a haircut pharma profits would take if meds were refundable. Also the street value would rise because they would be more scarce, which could discourage abuse and addiction. Nice idea. :-)
02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
(02-02-2016 04:19 PM)I Am Wrote:  Wow that is a big economic inefficiency. I wonder how big a haircut pharma profits would take if meds were refundable. Also the street value would rise because they would be more scarce, which could discourage abuse and addiction. Nice idea. :-)

There was a program in place in Arkansas or Mississippi one of those places where I lived years ago which collected such to distribute to poor folks in need.
02-02-2016, 04:28 PM
(02-02-2016 04:23 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 04:19 PM)I Am Wrote:  Wow that is a big economic inefficiency. I wonder how big a haircut pharma profits would take if meds were refundable. Also the street value would rise because they would be more scarce, which could discourage abuse and addiction. Nice idea. :-)

There was a program in place in Arkansas or Mississippi one of those places where I lived years ago which collected such to distribute to poor folks in need.

Also good. Overall I'd prefer we provide firsthand access to meds for everyone, but that's a work in progress. In the mean time better use is better.
02-02-2016, 04:34 PM
(02-02-2016 03:10 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  I can absorb the $100 but for others it might not be so easy - or it couldv'e been $1000.

Any thoughts?

Pain meds are typically very inexpensive; I am surprised they cost $100. Consider

02-02-2016, 06:12 PM
The doctor I see and the whole practice has pretty much stopped giving out anything for pain relief. When I had kidney stones this past summer (I have a history of them) my doctor wouldn't give me anything. I had to fork out all the co-pays and fees at the ER to get any kind of relief at all.

For pain relief now you have to either go black market or pay big bucks for legal help. I sure am glad that I had my surgeries when pain management was still a priority...it was, in fact, expected medical care. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF