Returning to Slavery (musings)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Returning to Slavery (musings)
According to the old adage, history repeats itself. As the US economy and others begin another economic decline which could result in 50% unemployment, who is going to look after these people? What is the alternative? The Christian Right supports the US political system and look where it's going. Do the starving offer themselves up to be slaves in exchange for food and accommodation? Is this where we are heading? Back to the ancient Roman days of slavery? I can see this as becoming a real possibility.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2013, 07:58 AM
RE: Returning to Slavery (musings)
(10-06-2013 07:50 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  According to the old adage, history repeats itself. As the US economy and others begin another economic decline which could result in 50% unemployment, who is going to look after these people? What is the alternative? The Christian Right supports the US political system and look where it's going. Do the starving offer themselves up to be slaves in exchange for food and accommodation? Is this where we are heading? Back to the ancient Roman days of slavery? I can see this as becoming a real possibility.

This is the wrong forum for this - Mods?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't understand why you feel this is not the right forum. I am an atheist and I am seeing what radical christian religionists are doing. They are a powerful force in politics. Some are even advocating violence and will find a biblical quote to back this up. I wasn't suggesting society return to slavery, but to me it seems like it could become a real possibility. I didn't realize a controversial topic isn't allowed.
10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
(10-06-2013 02:11 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I don't understand why you feel this is not the right forum. I am an atheist and I am seeing what radical christian religionists are doing. They are a powerful force in politics. Some are even advocating violence and will find a biblical quote to back this up. I wasn't suggesting society return to slavery, but to me it seems like it could become a real possibility. I didn't realize a controversial topic isn't allowed.

No, this is the "Personal Issues and Support" sub-forum.

Controversy is not allowed in this area of TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-06-2013, 03:31 PM
(10-06-2013 02:11 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  They are a powerful force in politics. Some are even advocating violence and will find a biblical quote to back this up. I wasn't suggesting society return to slavery, but to me it seems like it could become a real possibility.

I'll move it to politics.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Moved. PIAS section is more for stuff like if you're feeling down and need a shoulder to cry on without the risk that the said shoulder belongs to a crocodile. Smile
10-06-2013, 03:35 PM
(10-06-2013 03:31 PM)kim Wrote:  I'll move it to politics.

Kimmies 0 Dog 1 Big Grin
10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Not having someone to take care of you is not slavery.

This post is incredibly offensive to slaves in the same way spoiled rotten McRichpants offends people who are starving when she complains that they didn't serve lobster at her 16th birthday party.

I'm sorry, but we have to work for food to survive. We can't just have someone hand us everything. The reason we work for other people is because it's the most efficient way to produce goods. Being forced to work for others by other people is slavery. Being forced to work for other people because you would starve if you don't work is not slavery.

Let's just say it's much easier working in an office for someone else, so you can eat, buy a car, rent or even buy a house, buy a computer, and pay for internet, than it is to work for no one and to try and grow your own food. Of course, you're NOT a slave, so you're free to grow your own food if you hate working for others that much.

So please, when you gripe about slavery, make bloody damn sure you're actually talking about slavery!

Add:

I'm not saying there aren't any economic issues, but it's foolish to attack the idea of people working for one another.
10-06-2013, 03:48 PM
^^ Kinda think you might have missed his point.

What use is freedom if all you can do with it is beg someone to give you a menial job so you won't starve ? Isn't this slavery ?

Also note he's considering a hypothetical situation in the future.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post