Returning to the Father

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 12:01 AM
RE: Returning to the Father
(28-10-2012 08:39 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 04:53 AM)Egor Wrote:  When I was a little kid, I just believed it out of obedience. Then there was about ten years when I was just a guy in my twenties living in England. Then when I was 28, I thought I had this revelation like I really understood the Gospels and what they meant and what Jesus was talking about.

Then I had some pretty negative experiences with churches I tried to attend, and I made up my own thing, Veridicanism. But I kept going back and forth between Veridicanism and Christianity.

Then I read "The Shack," and I vowed never to think religiously again. I also finally admitted to myself that the Bible can say anything you want it to say, and the Gospels are completely indecipherable.

I know that God exists; I know I am a creature of that Creator. That's about all I can say.

You are the creator of that creature you call "creator"

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist. Or you could say it is that shared experience upon which we all agree, that is observable, testable, and able to be known.

Not sure I like that as a definition for reality, I'd say our agreement, its orbservability or testablity has little to no bearing on what is and what is not reality. Good thing to as theres enough flatearthers out there to bugger the planet if your definition held water, Im hard pressed to think of anything on which there is unilateral concensus, Im sure theres even loonies out there who dispute gravity.

Reality is. Seems to me to be as complete a definition as you would ever need.

Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2012, 12:25 AM

(28-10-2012 08:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Poor you, you have to get meaning from outside. It must suck to be you.

Oh, no. I leave sucking to the professionals. I'm sure you suck much better than I ever could. Drooling
Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Returning to the Father
Remorse...waning....

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
29-10-2012, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 02:31 AM by fstratzero.)
(29-10-2012 12:25 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 08:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Poor you, you have to get meaning from outside. It must suck to be you.

Oh, no. I leave sucking to the professionals. I'm sure you suck much better than I ever could. Drooling

Let this become your mother nature, she will destroy your father. Unlike your father, nature exists.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-10-2012, 02:30 AM
(29-10-2012 02:02 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 12:25 AM)Egor Wrote:  Oh, no. I leave sucking to the professionals. I'm sure you suck much better than I ever could. Drooling

Let this become your mother nature, she will destroy your father. Unlike your father, nature exists.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Egor ain't as crazy as he seems, I just don't think he has sufficient training in Philosophy to know when his thoughts and ideas are neither novel nor unique. I give him kudos for trying to blaze these trails himself by cutting through the thick underbrush, just dunno why he'd be doing that when there's a niced paved highway right next to him. He's standing right next to it, if he would just step onto it he'd make faster progress.

Egor's latest thoughts remind me of those of Schopenhauer, Dyson, Hoyle, and Schrödinger, with Dyson's being the closest I think.

The philosopher Daniel Kolak coined the term Open Individualism which to me seems close to what Egor is saying only more eloquent and succinct.

N.B. I don't "buy into" any particular metaphysics but I do think it's important to be aware of as many different ones as possible while continually formulating and reformulating my own.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Prophets are naive philosophers. Thought you knew that, Girly. There ain't no why, there's whack.

...and Yay Dyson! Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Will there be a feast with the slaughtered fattened calf upon your return to the father? I'm a bit jealous. Well, not jealous so much as hungry.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I am reminded of a quote, which I am usually uncannily good at remembering, but alas, this one eludes me. Angry
Someone help me out. It goes something like this...

Learn from reading the works of others. In that way you will obtain easily what they labored intensely for.

That was the gist of it anyhow. Seems to me as if it belonged to Franklin, but I'm not certain.

29-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Shoulders of giants man, shoulders of giants.

So many cats, so few good recipes.