'Revelation'...It's Happening Right Now! The World Is Going To End Any Day Now!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 08:43 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
'Revelation'...It's Happening Right Now! The World Is Going To End Any Day Now!
I work around a bunch of Bible thumpers and constantly hear this crap about how "we're living in the times of Revelations". This is always followed by some stupid list of natural disasters, mass shootings, and ironically, killings done in the name of religion. A few examples:

Hurricane Katrina (or any hurricane for that matter)
The tsunami that hit Indonesia
9/11
Sandy Hook School shooting
Santa Barbara shootings
Earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan
An outbreak of over 60 tornadoes that tore across a section of the U.S. in spring of 2013 (guess where? The Bible Belt! That makes a lot of sense!)

The list could go on all day. Yeah, the world is coming to an end any day now...just like the world was coming to an end any day now when Mount Vesuvius erupted and buried the city of Pompeii in 79 A.D. Just like it was coming to an end any day now when the Bubonic plague was ravaging Europe in the late Middle Ages. Just like it was coming to an end any day now during World War 1. Just like it was coming to an end any day now during World War 2. This stupid excuse has been used for thousands of years to scare people into believing that this part of the Bible is a prophecy come true.

Does anybody else constantly hear this crap?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
05-06-2014, 07:29 PM
RE: Revelations...It's Happening Right Now! The World Is Going To End Any Day Now!
It's 'Revelation'.

I just un-followed an acquaintance on FB because he's been posting Bible verses - especially Revelation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
RE: Revelations...It's Happening Right Now! The World Is Going To End Any Day Now!
I don't think I've ever encountered it a real conversation.

On the way to the bus station, though...
[Image: apoc.png]

... this is my signature!
05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Hell, I used to believe that crap. I wasn't a strict bible thumper by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd see stories in the news about the middle east and think to myself, holy shit, it's really happening! Facepalm

It's actually very easy to fall into thinking like that when you're conditioned for it. Critical thinking is difficult to employ when you got religion on the brain.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
We live on a tiny thin crust on a ball of magma, spinning at a thousand miles per hour, orbiting at over 60 thousand miles per hour, bathed in radiation and molested by a moons gravity pull and bombarded with 50 tonnes of space rocks per year.
A better case for God is the infrequency of natural disasters.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 5 users Like sporehux's post
05-06-2014, 08:07 PM
It's been happening for lo these many years!

They never, ever learn.

Maybe God just got lost or something. I mean it is a big universe and he/she probably could do with a GPS update. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Just more examples of how totally biblically illiterate most believers are. The time of "Revelation" was within 70 years of Jebus being offed by the Romans.

‘The seer of Patmos, identified with the apostle, is granted a series of visions meant to reassure the Christians of Asia amid the persecutions and trials of the end of the first century.’ - Pope Benny the Quitter, Aug 23 2006

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/p...rnal_plan/

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
05-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Are you all saying I don't get to be raptured and fly in the skies?

Or at least get left behind and be rid of all kinds of nutty people?

Damn! Weeping

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
RE: Revelation...It's Happening Right Now! The World Is Going To End Any Day Now!
(05-06-2014 07:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's 'Revelation'.

I just un-followed an acquaintance on FB because he's been posting Bible verses - especially Revelation.

Fixed it. They were pronouncing it 'Revelations' so I assumed that was correct. I should have figured that a Bible thumper would be mispronouncing a chapter of their own book.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
05-06-2014, 09:02 PM
RE: 'Revelation'...It's Happening Right Now! The World Is Going To End Any Day Now!
I'm hoping we are living in the end times.

The end of religious times.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post