Revelations Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Revelations Question
Since there has been some crazy talk again about "The end times", it brought back a memory from many years ago concerning a theory about the the book of revelations. I remember hearing someone theorize that the revelation was actually a story about the end of the Christian church and not that people will actually disappear. More that it is an allegory about people leaving the faith and that the real meaning would be the revelation would be that it's all bullshit. So people would "disappear" from the faith. Does anyone know of this theory? Could be something that I think I remember hearing and made up myself but I don't remember. Tried to search for it but can't find anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2013, 05:47 PM
RE: Revelations Question
Hmmm.... Consider

Don't recall ever hearing that, but it seems legit. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Sounds like you're conflating Revelation and rapture. The first is a specific piece of failed prophecy set around 400CE, if I remember correctly. The second is a bullshit misinterpretation of 2 Thessalonians. Well, they're both bullshit.

And yes, in Revelation, the church does fall.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-10-2013, 06:13 PM
we can only hopeTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
15-10-2013, 06:50 PM
The only thing I can say about the book of revelations (why is it books in the bible and not chapters, is it because it does not hang together) is that it is batshit crazy. It is the one book I have read completely.

Like the rest of the bible selective quoting can prove anything in any direction. I suppose that the end of christianity is a possible interpertation, after all only 144,000 will be saved and there must be at least that many christian churches.
16-10-2013, 07:53 AM
It's not even worth thinking about, IMO.