Revenge of the Mafia - Game Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Revenge of the Mafia - Game Thread
A MOB HAS FORMED.

It's that time again. The insidious Mafiosos have managed to get their claws into our community, and they're doing everything in their power to silence the opposition and claim this place as their own. Soon, the killings will begin, and it's up to those good and faithful members of the upstanding citizenry to put a stop to things before the body count gets too high.

Or... eventually, anyway. There's probably going to be a hell of a body count regardless.

SETUP

As a vanilla game with several new players, this game will be run using basic roles and no special rules in play. The specific game that we will be playing is a slight variant (due to having an extra player) on the F11 setup, which is generally considered to be the "standard" new-player game with no frills.

F11 consists of four possible setups. I, as the game moderator, have selected one of these four setups at random and assigned roles accordingly. The rest of you will have to use information gained as the game goes on to figure out which of the four is actually the real setup.

The four possible setups in play here are:
  • One Mafia Goon, one Mafia Hooker, one Cop, one Doctor, six Townies
  • Two Mafia Goons, one Cop, eight Townies
  • Two Mafia Goons, one Doctor, eight Townies
  • One Mafia Goon, one Mafia Hooker, eight Townies

Role PMs are as follows, with full details of each role and its powers:

Mafia Goon Wrote:Congratulations, NAME. You're a made man.

You are a Mafia Goon. Your partner in crime is NAME, the ROLE. Together, you will bring this town to its knees.

You win when all non-Mafia players are dead, or when the town no longer has enough members to force a lynch. During the Night phase, you may communicate with your partner via QUICKTOPIC LINK. Do not communicate privately during the Day phase.

During the Night phase, you and your partner will decide on a victim and PM the name of your target to me. This player will be killed and removed from the game.

Good luck.

Mafia Hooker Wrote:Congratulations, NAME. You're a made man.

You are a Mafia Hooker. Your partner in crime is NAME, the Mafia Goon. Together, you will bring this town to its knees.

You win when all non-Mafia players are dead, or when the town no longer has enough members to force a lynch. During the Night phase, you may communicate with your partner via QUICKTOPIC LINK. Do not communicate privately during the Day phase.

During the Night phase, you and your partner will decide on a victim and PM the name of your target to me. This player will be killed and removed from the game.

Additionally, during the Night phase, you may decide on a secondary target for your personal ability. That player's Night actions for the phase, if any, will not be performed, though you will not be told if your target actually had any Night actions to take. Your target will not be told of your identity, though they will know that they have been blocked. This prevents the Cop, if any, from investigating and the Doctor, if any, from protecting.

Good luck.

Townie Wrote:You poor, poor bastard. You're in it now.

You are a Townie. You have no special powers, and win when all Mafia players are dead.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Cop Wrote:You poor, poor bastard. You're in it now.

You are the Cop. During the Night phase, you may PM me the name of a player that you wish to investigate. You will be informed as to whether or not that player is a member of the Mafia. Your target will not be informed that they have been investigated.

You have no other powers, and win when all Mafia players are dead.

Doctor Wrote:You poor, poor bastard. You're in it now.

You are the Doctor. During the Night phase, you may PM me the name of a player that you wish to protect. If the Mafia attempts to kill that player during that Night phase, the target will not die. The Mafia will not be informed of your identity if this happens, and your target will not be informed that they have been protected.

You have no other powers, and win when all Mafia players are dead.

RULES

1. EDITING IS VERBOTEN. No editing of posts is allowed for any reason. If any post is altered after being added to the thread, the offending player will be immediately removed from the game.
  2. Day length is set at forty-eight hours. Night length is set at twenty-four. All players must post at least once per Day phase or be removed from the game, though you are not required to vote. Votes cast after the end of the Day phase will not be counted. Night actions submitted after the end of the Night phase will not be carried out.
  3. If no voting majority is reached by the end of a Day phase, no one will be lynched. To vote, you must use the full username of your intended target and type, IN BOLD, "Vote: NAME". For example, Vote: Unbeliever. You may also vote to lynch no one by posting "Vote: No Lynch".
  4. Once a majority is reached, the lynch is final and votes may not be rescinded. The game then moves into the "Twilight" phase until the game moderator steps in to post the results and move the game into Night. During Twilight, no votes may be cast or rescinded and no claims are allowed, even from the victim.
  5. No private out-of-game communication about this game, whether with other players or forum members who are not involved, is allowed in any format while the game is still in progress. Mafia Night discussions are, of course, allowed, but do not send PMs to other players or lurkers discussing the game. All discussion about the game must take place in the game thread. Violation of this rule will result in immediate removal from the game.
  6. Once a player has been killed or otherwise removed from the game, no other posts from that player are allowed in the game thread. Not even a "bah!" post to express your displeasure at your death. You're dead? You're silent. No exceptions until the game is over.

PLAYER LIST
  • Mathilda
  • morondog
  • Tartarus Sauce
  • Catholic Lady
  • Dark Light
  • Commonsensei
  • Losty
  • Ash
  • Undergroundp
  • Aroura

Role PMs will be sent out over the next few minutes.

It is now NIGHT ZERO. No Night actions will be taken and the Mafia will not kill anyone, though they are allowed to talk privately; this is simply pre-game discussion where votes mean nothing and chatter is idle until we have enough check-ins.

Once you have received your role PM, post in this thread saying that you are ready. Once seven players have checked in, the game will move to Day One.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
19-09-2015, 01:40 PM
RE: Revenge of the Mafia - Game Thread
If anyone is wondering, the forum is making me wait between sending so many PMs. It shouldn't be too much longer if you haven't received yours yet.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
19-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Ready.
19-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Checking in.
19-09-2015, 01:46 PM
All role PMs have now been sent. If you have not received yours, PM me.

19-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Ready

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
~Man in Black
19-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Ready! Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
19-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Do we tell our roles or keep them secret?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
19-09-2015, 03:01 PM
(19-09-2015 02:46 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Do we tell our roles or keep them secret?

Keep them secret. Even if you have no powers at all, if you reveal this then Mafia will know not to kill you at night. This increases the chance of them killing a power role instead.

Only claim if you lynch is imminent and you have a power role that will save you from being lynched. But you will likely die the following night.
19-09-2015, 03:16 PM
(19-09-2015 03:01 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-09-2015 02:46 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Do we tell our roles or keep them secret?

Keep them secret. Even if you have no powers at all, if you reveal this then Mafia will know not to kill you at night. This increases the chance of them killing a power role instead.

Only claim if you lynch is imminent and you have a power role that will save you from being lynched. But you will likely die the following night.

This is it precisely.

The main situation in which a town power role wants to claim is if they will die otherwise, but even that won't save them for long in some circumstances. They may simply not be believed, or they may just get shot the following Night, and so on.

The other situation in which a town power role might want to claim is if, for example, the Cop gets a guilty result on an investigation and thinks that his claim will be taken seriously enough that he can get the lynch. Bonus points if he knows there's a Doctor about to protect him the next Night.