Revenge of the Mafia - Game Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: Revenge of the Mafia - Game Thread
(21-09-2015 10:54 AM)Ash Wrote:  It's not that I don't like that you're hiding it, I don't like that you're hiding it and then giving out hints that pretty much give it away. Why do that? Either hide it, or come out with it. Don't drop subtle hints for scum to pick up, while leaving everyone else in the dark to your thought process.

It's rather simply really.

Me: I have a clue.
You (everyone): Tell us.
Me: Sure but it might get someone important killed.
You: Then don't share it and protect them.
...but know that you look scummy if you don't share it.

I mean, what are my options here? Seriously. I'm just trying to actually do something. And if two people (the Mafia) can pick it up, I guess at least one out of seven also can.

Again, this is the first time I'm playing a gagged game. In the past, I was free to share private info with ANYONE and be safe. And now you're all pressuring us newbies in gagged games to say something. And that's what I did. Trying to get the game going. But it seems like no matter what I do, it's not good enough.

As I said, you may lynch me and see that I'm a townie, if that's gonna save the day.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2015, 11:22 AM
With regard to undergroundp and her having picked up on a hint.

She first said something odd on page 5, #42 which is the start of all this hinting about power roles. Which means that the hint came before that.

The only post that it could be is

(19-09-2015 11:54 PM)Catholic_Lady Wrote:  Sorry for the absence. Weekends are not the best day for me to be active on here. I'm actually about to go to bed pretty soon here, but will catch up and post something of substance in the morning.

Cathy said that she will catch up and then post something of substance in the morning. This could have been read as a hint that she is the cop and will post a result of her investigation tomorrow.

Although Cathy has been known to claim things out of the blue (*cough* dvas *cough*) why would she role claim cop when she doesn't even know that there is a doctor in the game?

What is more likely is that undergroundp was mentally primed to be on the lookout for power roles and this is why she interpreted it in this way. Scum need to target the power roles at night, especially in a game like this.
21-09-2015, 11:24 AM
In fact

Unvote
Vote: Aroura

Your soft arguments hold no weight. Yet you stick by them and continue tunneling. You're focused on a single player (me). Town doesn't rely on soft arguments.
21-09-2015, 11:31 AM
(21-09-2015 11:21 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  It's rather simply really.

Me: I have a clue.
You (everyone): Tell us.
Me: Sure but it might get someone important killed.
You: Then don't share it and protect them.
...but know that you look scummy if you don't share it.

I mean, what are my options here? Seriously. I'm just trying to actually do something. And if two people (the Mafia) can pick it up, I guess at least one out of seven also can.

Again, this is the first time I'm playing a gagged game. In the past, I was free to share private info with ANYONE and be safe. And now you're all pressuring us newbies in gagged games to say something. And that's what I did. Trying to get the game going. But it seems like no matter what I do, it's not good enough.

As I said, you may lynch me and see that I'm a townie, if that's gonna save the day.

Don't worry about looking scummy. Town will sometimes appear scummy. Only scum are worried about looking scummy.

The worst thing you can do is give a hint. I understand this is your first 'gagged' game. Sometimes it's valuable to bring up info like this, but usually not on day one. Only if you think scum has picked it up should you come out with any information. There's always the chance that you're wrong anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes Ash's post
21-09-2015, 11:38 AM
(21-09-2015 11:31 AM)Ash Wrote:  Don't worry about looking scummy. Town will sometimes appear scummy. Only scum are worried about looking scummy.

The worst thing you can do is give a hint. I understand this is your first 'gagged' game. Sometimes it's valuable to bring up info like this, but usually not on day one. Only if you think scum has picked it up should you come out with any information. There's always the chance that you're wrong anyway.

I knew I'd do something dumb the day I was told the game would be gagged. There was so much pressure like "DO SOMETHING ON DAY ONE" and I guess I jumped the gun. And I'm not extremely experienced in Mafia games anyway.

In any case. I said I'll do whatever you guys want me to do Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
21-09-2015, 11:43 AM
I think an argument can be made for lynching Ash since his presence is so distracting to the ladies. We need our female players thinking logically and analyzing effectively, your glistening abs aren't helping them in that regard. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Unvote
Vote: Losty

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
21-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Is this better?
[+] 1 user Likes Ash's post
21-09-2015, 11:51 AM
(21-09-2015 11:49 AM)Ash Wrote:  Is this better?

I can't speak for the ladies.

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-09-2015, 11:52 AM
(20-09-2015 10:49 AM)Ash Wrote:  Won't be around too much today, it's my busy day.

Everyone's next post should be a thought on someone in the game. Someone, anyone. Thoughts on them. If your next post is anything else, I will be voting to lynch you, and I'll convince the rest of the game to do so because you're going to be useless.

Like I said, Mathilda is currently my top suspect just for backing off quickly on the Aruora lynch. There's been a bit of fluff too though, a bit too much for my liking. So I can respect a play for going after a fluffy poster. Though it's incredibly easy for scum to do so.

(20-09-2015 02:05 PM)Ash Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 01:20 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  My thoughts.
(and please bear with me, I'm on my dysfunctional phone)

1. We're usually silent on day 1 because no matter who dies, we'll actually have some solid info from night investigations and townie cliques start forming (which is impossible here)

2. What I was trying to say is that I feel someone here is a townie and I would say who and why, but my explanation would make them a target for the Mafia, so I'll keep it to myself until you decide to lynch me or them.

3. Mathilda is usually really active even from day 1 so her eagerness to lynch random people doesn't seem scummy to me. Losty is generally not very active these days so I wouldn't suspect her either for now.

That's all I have for now.

You should absolutely say who you think is town, and why. That doesn't make them a target for scum. Not unless they soft hint power (which nobody has at this point as far as I can tell), in which case you should force them to claim and lynch them if they don't, because they're likely going to die. Your arguments as for why they are town will tell us if YOU are town or not. The only time you wouldn't want to try to force a claim is if you think their hint isn't something scum would pick up (normally however, they are more likely to pick it up, because they know who is town and who isn't) But you should always tell people if you think someone is town, and form an argument for it. Leave out anything that might expose their power if you think they have one, but more information is better. If you are killed you won't have an opportunity to save them if we end up thinking they're scum later on.

(20-09-2015 06:44 PM)Ash Wrote:  I notice that Losty waits until after someone else votes for me to come out with this 'insight'. Of course it's not even good insight because it's twisting the facts to fit the theory instead of the theory to fit the facts. But it's definitely noteworthy to wait until after someone else votes first. To know it's safe to attack a player. And of course Losty was (and still is) in the lead for votes. So obviously she had to come out and attack someone before people started calling her out on being idle.

She says that I found Mathilda suspicious when Mathilda was the one scum hunting the most, but at the time that I said that -- Mathilda had only brought up suspicion against two people. What I found suspicious was that she backed off so quickly. And at that point in the game nobody else had hardly any content.

(20-09-2015 06:47 PM)Ash Wrote:  I feel pretty confident about this read, actually.

Vote: Losty

Town doesn't tend to twist facts, and they build cases as soon as they see them. They don't wait until someone else brings it up first. Losty posted a number of times after my post, and never said anything until after Aruora voted for me.[/b]

(20-09-2015 10:24 PM)Ash Wrote:  Losty keeps propping Mathilda, who is said to be a good player. I've never played here before, so I'll take everyone's word for it. But to me that says Losty is trying to get on Mathilda's good side, and buddy up to her. Scum tend to want to avoid getting on the bad side of good players. And they like buddying up with town (because they know who is town, and it makes them look good).

(21-09-2015 09:12 AM)Ash Wrote:  Is this Dark Light's first game?

Undergroundp is vaguely hinting at who she's talking about, without actually naming them or giving her reasoning. If she's not scum, she's giving scum an easy time of figuring out who she might be talking about with that hint of hers. All but three players have received a vote. One of which I seriously doubt is who she's talking about. I'm not sure why she gave out that hint if she's really trying to hide it.

(21-09-2015 11:21 AM)Ash Wrote:  Not to mention the "no real scum hunting" What does that even mean? Am I "fake" scum hunting when I call out Losty for what I find suspicious? Am I "fake" scum hunting when I question underground about her vague hint? Please, by all means tell me how I'm 'fake' scum hunting.

I think you're the one faking it here, and it's making me reconsider Losty because I don't think there's any way both of you are scum. You're not making any real arguments. You're making soft ones, and that's something scum does.

Ok, I wanted to make an actual case, so here it is.

These aren't allof your posts, but going bak through the thread, you've really only talked about votes or reads other people have made. You are not really reading other people on your own.
Even if I only posted one read list, it was at least one fairly complete list.

Anywho, then your vote on Losty seems opportunistic and bandwagonny (I'm just making up words here! lol), and that also stuck me as scummy.

I just can't find any posts where YOU are posting your own reads or scum hunting, just relying on other people, and following their reads or votes. So...all of this is very specifically what I think is scummy.

Now it could just be a different play style than I'm used to seeing, but now that I've presented a more specific case, I hope you can make a more specific defense. Big Grin

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
~Man in Black