Revenge of the Mafia - Game Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2015, 02:33 PM
RE: Revenge of the Mafia - Game Thread
I am bummed. Sorry I didn't do a scan on Morondog. But I pretty much figured I was done for. I was suspicious eqully on Auroa and Moron at that point. So I didn't think it would hurt if i did an investigation on ether one. Guess the ol' Sensei charm didn't work. Let you guys all down. Sad

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Despite the fact that it wasn't themed and had completely vanilla game mechanics, which can be a little boring for regular players who want something different each time, I think the game served its purpose. It demonstrated how Mafia games are supposed to work. It served its purpose as an introduction Mafia game.

Before TTA was sitting around for the first two day phases waiting for power roles to tell people what to do. This was why I put so much effort into scum hunting on day 1. To demonstrate that it can be done. I remember once suggesting on TTA that we should do a day 1 lynch and absolutely no one wanted it. After that I gave up suggesting it. Now I play on other forums I know that it is central to playing Mafia.

So if Mafia is ever going to return to TTA then expectations and assumptions needed to be reset.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
29-09-2015, 03:29 PM
I thought I did say there HAD to be a cop, and therefore CS's claim had to be true, that was my whole Ballsy post...his claiming cop and getting no CC was it. I guess I was not forcefull or clear there.

I am sorry guys, I should not have ended the game out of frustration.

If we do another mafia game, does everyone like 48 hours or not? Also hammer voting ending the phase, and night phases ending at random times when scum were done sending in actions? Part of my lack of participation came from all of these issues. The days were too long for my tiny gnat brain, and then I could never figure out when it was day, night, when I needed to check in, etc.

I would much prefer plurality voting, and fixed phases, whatever length they are, as long as they are fixed, I would feel better about playing.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
~Man in Black
29-09-2015, 03:34 PM
(29-09-2015 03:29 PM)Aroura Wrote:  If we do another mafia game, does everyone like 48 hours or not? Also hammer voting ending the phase, and night phases ending at random times when scum were done sending in actions?

I still think that the Day phases here are punishingly short, but I can work with them. Hammer ending the phase I consider a vital part of the game, though I could see an argument for fixed-length Nights regardless of time taken to submit Night actions. Ditto for plurality lynches.

If the majority prefer that style of play, I would be willing to make those adjustments. And yes, if I run any other games, they will not be so vanilla (though they will likely require more players due to having more power roles to balance out).

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
29-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the game guys. I'm honestly super surprised at the final result. I knew things were dicey for me from the moment the Sensei said he was the cop, and once CL was booted I thought I was fucked six ways from Sunday Tongue Aroura had my number right from the start...

(29-09-2015 02:33 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  morondog, you were probably going to lose based entirely on Catholic_Lady's disappearance alone, but I do have to give props for the WIFOM attempt you made at the end with trying to cast doubt on Commonsensei's status as the Cop. You had the right idea. It was just a bit awkwardly done. If you aren't going to contest the Cop's claim, kill him; if you aren't going to kill him, then contest the claim immediately, and don't kill him the following Night. Trying to contest a Cop claim is tricky business, but done properly, it can win the game on the spot. You did well.
I was making shit up on the fly me ol' mate... The reason I didn't kill the Sensei immediately was because that woulda confirmed Losty as town. I knew it was a huge risk but figured I'd kill Losty and see what happened... I thought the immediate fallout would be CS announcing that I was scum and me getting lynched, but I figured as long as I was around I'd cast a bit of doubt and at least pretend right up until I was hung out to dry...

Quote:Everyone, the moment Catholic_Lady flipped as the Hooker, you should have recognized that there was a Cop around somewhere. I'm not sure how many of you caught that, but reviewing the setup possibilities at the beginning of the thread will show you why; if there's a Hooker, there are either both power roles or no power roles.
Big Grin I done realised that. Fat chance I wuz gonna point it out though Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-09-2015, 04:37 PM
(29-09-2015 03:29 PM)Aroura Wrote:  I thought I did say there HAD to be a cop, and therefore CS's claim had to be true, that was my whole Ballsy post...his claiming cop and getting no CC was it. I guess I was not forcefull or clear there.

I am sorry guys, I should not have ended the game out of frustration.

If we do another mafia game, does everyone like 48 hours or not? Also hammer voting ending the phase, and night phases ending at random times when scum were done sending in actions? Part of my lack of participation came from all of these issues. The days were too long for my tiny gnat brain, and then I could never figure out when it was day, night, when I needed to check in, etc.

I would much prefer plurality voting, and fixed phases, whatever length they are, as long as they are fixed, I would feel better about playing.

You should have probably pointed to the opening post. You HAD to convince underground to vote your way. Which sucked because it basically meant all of town had to be on the same page just to get a lynch. A no lynch would have been fine though. At night MD has three options for the kill: Sensei (That's a giveaway, game over), Aroura (Allowing Sensei to scan him) or Underground (Game Over). He probably would have killed you. Though there's a chance he'd have made a newbie mistake and killed Sensei or underground.

I like 48 hour voting. Hammers always end the night phase (and generally people aren't supposed to post after the hammer. At all. That's a modkill where I come from). Plurality system is much preferable because it means that it never comes down to one or two lynches because you can't convince 75% of town to lynch someone. I would have gladly lynched CL on day 2 over Tartarus, but Tartarus came in with his defense very late, and by that time it was either him or nobody.

Night phases should last 24 hours -- especially in the beginning. I know i like a break from my mafia. I'd rather not play for 48 hours, and then play another 48 hours without a break in between. Toward the end of game if all actions are in early then starting early is fine. Last couple of days. That's when people want the game to end. One of my earliest games the scum team revealed themselves at MyLo, and our day phases after that lasted as long as it took for the remaining townies to vote to lynch them, and our night phases lasted as long as it took for them to send in the kill.

Night 1 in this game was like *snap*. Everyone got their actions in quickly, and it was back to playing with no time to reflect, no time to take a break. Back into the action right away.
29-09-2015, 04:41 PM
(29-09-2015 04:37 PM)Ash Wrote:  (and generally people aren't supposed to post after the hammer. At all. That's a modkill where I come from).

It is for me, too. I just relaxed that slightly during this game because of its nature as a stepping stone for newbies like Commonsensei and morondog.

Non-newbie games will be much stricter on that front.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
29-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Very smart idea killing me instead of CS gg everyone.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
29-09-2015, 04:55 PM
(29-09-2015 04:41 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(29-09-2015 04:37 PM)Ash Wrote:  (and generally people aren't supposed to post after the hammer. At all. That's a modkill where I come from).

It is for me, too. I just relaxed that slightly during this game because of its nature as a stepping stone for newbies like Commonsensei and morondog.

Non-newbie games will be much stricter on that front.

I won't be playing any strict games. I feel like it sucks the fun out of the game. This is TTA not MS.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
29-09-2015, 05:01 PM
As far as this game, we can always expect that newbie games won't be as exciting but I still had fun. Thanks for hosting unbeliever.

[+] 2 users Like Losty's post