Revenge of the Mafia - Recruitment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: Revenge of the Mafia - Recruitment Thread
(18-09-2015 11:20 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Wait what? Four day and two day phases? That's insane, please don't do that. Do either 12 or 24 hour phases.

Agreed. 24 hour phases work well.It's too much of a culture shock for TTA to have mafiascum style phases. Although TTA could do with learning to lynch on day 1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
18-09-2015, 11:25 AM
(18-09-2015 11:20 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Wait what? Four day and two day phases? That's insane, please don't do that. Do either 12 or 24 hour phases.

I'm completely open to whatever time allotments the players think most appropriate. The sites where I previously ran games preferred the four-and-two setup due to widely varied time zones between the players and the possibility of one or more Mafia members or town roles not being able to participate in a Night phase if it was twenty-four hours or less, and some players could only post during extremely odd hours (one of them was playing from China) and so had trouble dealing with one-day limits.

If everyone who wants to play could post their time zone and most commonly available hours, it would help a lot in working out an appropriate time limit for Day and Night.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
18-09-2015, 11:30 AM
(18-09-2015 11:23 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  The Mafia still plays the game during the Day phase. They're just not able to communicate privately between themselves. During the Day phase, the Mafia members try to blend in with the rest of the players and get the wrong people lynched.

Mafia are always playing. The only people who might have nothing to do are the vanilla townies, who just have to wait out each Night phase and hope they don't get shot. Cops, Doctors, and the Mafia all have things to do during the Night.

It's also worth noting that neither the Day nor the Night usually lasts for the full time. That's the limit, not the requirement. The Day ends when someone is lynched, and the Night ends when all power roles have decided who their targets are and the Mafia has chosen a victim. It very rarely takes the full time.

Ok so, everyone can talk in the thread all day but not in private? I'm confused. Can you specify what exactly we can do with talking? Because the norm here was to just talk to anyone anytime with no limits.

I know the phases may not last that much, but some of us live on the other side of the planet and need to have some times set so we know how much time we have before the phase ends. Some people just won't lynch anyone so how do you know you're done with voting?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
18-09-2015, 11:31 AM
As another note, more from a gameplay standpoint than anything else, and as someone who has some experience both on MafiaScum and elsewhere:

(18-09-2015 11:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  TTA: 12 hour phases. Day 1 everybody automatically votes no lynch and nothing is said. People wanting a lynch on day 1 are looked at suspiciously.

This is exactly the worst thing that the town can do on Day One.

Information always helps the town. The only way to get information is for someone to get lynched, so that you can observe the behavior of others when it happens. I know quite a lot of players who got reputations for being constant Day One lynch targets, but who also always won, because they were extremely aggressive and vocal.

Because they were so aggressive, they almost always got lynched by the end of the Day, but in doing so, they got a lot of reactions out of a lot of other players, and that amount of information was well worth their life. It regularly allowed the town to win based off of the reactions they observed on the first Day.

Information helps the town. If you are a vanilla townie, you should be perfectly willing to die to get that information for your team.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
18-09-2015, 11:34 AM
(18-09-2015 11:30 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Ok so, everyone can talk in the thread all day but not in private? I'm confused. Can you specify what exactly we can do with talking? Because the norm here was to just talk to anyone anytime with no limits.

During the Day phase, everyone talks to everyone else in the normal game thread. All communications are public.

During the Night phase, the Mafia players have access to a private QuickTopic thread where they can post private communications which the town players cannot see. This is where they will talk amongst themselves to decide who their victim for the Night is, and possibly to discuss basic strategies for the next Day. Mafia players are not allowed to post in this private communications area during the Day.

(18-09-2015 11:30 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I know the phases may not last that much, but some of us live on the other side of the planet and need to have some times set so we know how much time we have before the phase ends.

Yes, and this is why most sites I've played on prefer the four-and-two, though some games go two-and-one for a more fast-paced game.

(18-09-2015 11:30 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Some people just won't lynch anyone so how do you know you're done with voting?

Voting ends the moment either a majority lynch target is found or the Day time limit is reached. If the latter occurs, there is no lynch for the day.

18-09-2015, 11:36 AM
I really tried one game to get a day 1 lynch and everybody looked at me (more so than usual) like I was mad. I think TTA would benefit from a gagged game actually because the thread can be quite dead because everyone is chatting in PM's, or assuming that they are. I think this is why day 1 lynches never really happen, because there is no information to go on. But TTA games also normally have lots of power roles so town just rely on night 1 results. There's even been discussion here in the past about starting with Night 1 instead of day 1. That doesn't work though with normal mafia set ups where the vanilla townies outnumber everyone else.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
18-09-2015, 11:41 AM
(18-09-2015 11:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I think TTA would benefit from a gagged game actually because the thread can be quite dead because everyone is chatting in PM's, or assuming that they are.

The town is not allowed to communicate privately. PMs between town players are explicitly against the rules. The Mafia is only allowed to communicate privately during the Night, and then only via the QuickTopic thread. No PM communications are allowed between any players of any alignment, except to the moderator (me) to ask questions.

I have honestly never heard of "ungagged" Mafia before. It seems rather silly, and removes the whole point of the game.

18-09-2015, 11:43 AM
(18-09-2015 11:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 11:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I think TTA would benefit from a gagged game actually because the thread can be quite dead because everyone is chatting in PM's, or assuming that they are.

The town is not allowed to communicate privately. PMs between town players are explicitly against the rules. The Mafia is only allowed to communicate privately during the Night, and then only via the QuickTopic thread. No PM communications are allowed between any players of any alignment, except to the moderator (me) to ask questions.

I have honestly never heard of "ungagged" Mafia before. It seems rather silly, and removes the whole point of the game.

It's how we always used to play it.

[Image: giphy.gif]
So it's not the plurality system? (Where whoever hast the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless there's a tie, in which case it goes into sudden death)

Also the problem with starting Night 1 is that one person is going to get screwed out of playing.
(18-09-2015 11:34 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  During the Day phase, everyone talks to everyone else in the normal game thread. All communications are public.

But how can Mafia be fun without conspiracies and secrets? Sad

(18-09-2015 11:34 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Voting ends the moment either a majority lynch target is found or the Day time limit is reached. If the latter occurs, there is no lynch for the day.

Yes but what if:
Everyone decides to lynch someone but I'm the cop and I've investigated them and know that they're innocent. I find out the result AFTER the majority has voted because I haven't woken up yet and the person gets lynched anyway. That would suck, I think. It has kind of happened in the past because I simply wasn't there.

By the way my timezone is UTC+3, which basically means that I'm 7 hours ahead of you, if your local time on your profile here is correct.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-