Revenge of the Mafia - Recruitment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2015, 11:50 AM
RE: Revenge of the Mafia - Recruitment Thread
(18-09-2015 11:43 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 11:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I have honestly never heard of "ungagged" Mafia before. It seems rather silly, and removes the whole point of the game.

It's how we always used to play it.

Fair enough, but this game is going to be gagged. Private communications are not allowed except for the Mafia Night thread.

(18-09-2015 11:43 AM)Ash Wrote:  So it's not the plurality system? (Where whoever hast the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless there's a tie, in which case it goes into sudden death)

No. That's a valid alternate rule, and I've played with it before, but it's usually best used in games with larger numbers of players due to the incredible influence it gives the Mafia in smaller games.

(18-09-2015 11:43 AM)Ash Wrote:  Also the problem with starting Night 1 is that one person is going to get screwed out of playing.

We are not going to start with Night One. We don't have enough players for it, and I always thought it was a rather pointless and mean-spirited way to start anyway.

(18-09-2015 11:43 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 11:34 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  During the Day phase, everyone talks to everyone else in the normal game thread. All communications are public.

But how can Mafia be fun without conspiracies and secrets? Sad

Oh, there are still plenty of conspiracies and secrets. There is a reason Mafia normally doesn't allow that sort of thing, though. It renders the game itself mostly pointless.

The idea of secret communications being allowed can be accounted for in some setups. Usually, it's through the Mason role - members of a secret society who can communicate privately in the same way as the Mafia. The Masons may or may not have a Mafia member monitoring their communications and so on, though, which adds a lot to the setup, but the thing to take away from this is that allowing the town to communicate privately, even if it's just between a handful of special roles, is an incredibly powerful and game-changing ability. Masons are added very rarely and carefully, because they completely alter the way the game is played.

But making every member of the town a super-Mason means that the game as a whole just isn't going to work.

(18-09-2015 11:43 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Yes but what if:
Everyone decides to lynch someone but I'm the cop and I've investigated them and know that they're innocent. I find out the result AFTER the majority has voted because I haven't woken up yet and the person gets lynched anyway. That would suck, I think. It has kind of happened in the past because I simply wasn't there.

Yes. And that's why I prefer the four-two setup, or possibly two-one if everyone really, really wants an absurdly fast game. Honestly, I can't think why you would, as four-two is generally considered fast anyway, but if everyone prefers that, it can be done.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2015, 12:01 PM
(18-09-2015 11:50 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Oh, there are still plenty of conspiracies and secrets. There is a reason Mafia normally doesn't allow that sort of thing, though. It renders the game itself mostly pointless.

The idea of secret communications being allowed can be accounted for in some setups. Usually, it's through the Mason role - members of a secret society who can communicate privately in the same way as the Mafia. The Masons may or may not have a Mafia member monitoring their communications and so on, though, which adds a lot to the setup, but the thing to take away from this is that allowing the town to communicate privately, even if it's just between a handful of special roles, is an incredibly powerful and game-changing ability. Masons are added very rarely and carefully, because they completely alter the way the game is played.

But making every member of the town a super-Mason means that the game as a whole just isn't going to work.

I think private communication is fun and makes the game super complicated and exciting. The times I had the most fun was when I talked with someone and I couldn't stop doubting myself. Are they Mafia? Are they innocent? Are they telling me the truth? But that guy said something else. Should I lie to them? What the fuck is happening? Excitement! Tongue

Trust me, it's not pointless and it has worked here every time. Also, the most boring games were when no one communicated with each other.

(18-09-2015 11:50 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Yes. And that's why I prefer the four-two setup, or possibly two-one if everyone really, really wants an absurdly fast game. Honestly, I can't think why you would, as four-two is generally considered fast anyway, but if everyone prefers that, it can be done.

It sounds like it's gonna be absurdly slow though. Even in four days, people may decide to lynch someone at the end of day four. And maybe the phase ends at 4pm and I know I have until 4pm to wake up. If the phase ends at 2pm, even just 2 hours before the decided time, I'm screwed.

I remember how bored I was when we switched from 12 to 24 hour phases.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to change your game, I'm just saying. We have our reasons for prefering non-gagged Mafia games, it's not pointless Thumbsup

I will play anyway to see how this will go!

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
18-09-2015, 12:06 PM
(18-09-2015 12:01 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I think private communication is fun and makes the game super complicated and exciting. The times I had the most fun was when I talked with someone and I couldn't stop doubting myself. Are they Mafia? Are they innocent? Are they telling me the truth? But that guy said something else. Should I lie to them? What the fuck is happening? Excitement! Tongue

And that's fine. Everyone is allowed to have setups that they enjoy. I'm not against running a Mason setup in the future, but for now, giving everyone in the game a super-Mason power where they can not only communicate privately but in such a way that no one else can possibly listen in is not going to work.

This is a low headcount vanilla game, and Masons have to be very carefully handled even in larger setups.

(18-09-2015 12:01 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Trust me, it's not pointless and it has worked here every time. Also, the most boring games were when no one communicated with each other.

Given what I have heard about the way TTA Mafia games apparently result in absolutely zero lynchings and simply waiting for a Cop to turn something up, I think it might be time to try a normal game.

If it doesn't work out, then that's fine. If we try this and everyone prefers the way it was done before, it's perfectly okay to go back to that. But as it is, this is the game that I am willing to run, and I think that it would be a good thing for people to give it a try.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
18-09-2015, 12:12 PM
(18-09-2015 11:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I have honestly never heard of "ungagged" Mafia before. It seems rather silly, and removes the whole point of the game.

They're the funnest type, I think! Wheelin, and dealin on skype! Making alliances, catching scum in a lie! Just because you're on the good guy's team doesn't mean you can't be secretive, or employ underhanded tactics to win!

The thread might not be entertaining to read for anyone not actually playing the game, but I figure the point of a game is for those playing it to have fun! Which we've had oodles of with "ungagged" games. *shrugs*

Ain't talkin smack, but gagged just ain't the way I play! No
[Image: Sexual-font-b-health-b-font-font-b-produ...tuffed.jpg]
Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
18-09-2015, 12:14 PM
(18-09-2015 12:06 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Given what I have heard about the way TTA Mafia games apparently result in absolutely zero lynchings and simply waiting for a Cop to turn something up, I think it might be time to try a normal game.

Well, that only happened in like, the three last games. They used to be much better in the past and the lack of lynching and communication was mostly because of people who joined for the sake of joining and were never willing to actively participate.

In any case, let's go on with this and see how it goes Thumbsup

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
18-09-2015, 12:21 PM
(18-09-2015 12:14 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 12:06 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Given what I have heard about the way TTA Mafia games apparently result in absolutely zero lynchings and simply waiting for a Cop to turn something up, I think it might be time to try a normal game.

Well, that only happened in like, the three last games. They used to be much better in the past and the lack of lynching and communication was mostly because of people who joined for the sake of joining and were never willing to actively participate.

In any case, let's go on with this and see how it goes Thumbsup

Actually how often did scum win in all those games where a lynch did not occur on day 1? Far from the majority, I know that! But that's one thing to be said for a gagged game: gives scum a better chance! Which I guess they deserve being so few in number.

18-09-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm totally cool with doing gagged games, that's how they've been doing it at AF where I've been playing recently.

[Image: giphy.gif]
18-09-2015, 12:26 PM
(18-09-2015 11:34 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 11:30 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Ok so, everyone can talk in the thread all day but not in private? I'm confused. Can you specify what exactly we can do with talking? Because the norm here was to just talk to anyone anytime with no limits.

During the Day phase, everyone talks to everyone else in the normal game thread. All communications are public.

During the Night phase, the Mafia players have access to a private QuickTopic thread where they can post private communications which the town players cannot see. This is where they will talk amongst themselves to decide who their victim for the Night is, and possibly to discuss basic strategies for the next Day. Mafia players are not allowed to post in this private communications area during the Day.

(18-09-2015 11:30 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I know the phases may not last that much, but some of us live on the other side of the planet and need to have some times set so we know how much time we have before the phase ends.

Yes, and this is why most sites I've played on prefer the four-and-two, though some games go two-and-one for a more fast-paced game.

(18-09-2015 11:30 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Some people just won't lynch anyone so how do you know you're done with voting?

Voting ends the moment either a majority lynch target is found or the Day time limit is reached. If the latter occurs, there is no lynch for the day.

We will be gagged afterall Weeping fine fine

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-09-2015, 12:38 PM
(18-09-2015 12:26 PM)Losty Wrote:  We will be gagged afterall Weeping fine fine

Don't worry my next two games will be ungagged.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
18-09-2015, 12:45 PM
(18-09-2015 12:25 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'm totally cool with doing gagged games, that's how they've been doing it at AF where I've been playing recently.

It have been better if the gagged games I've played had taken place here where I know everybody! Over at AF there wasn't much figuring out for me to do with people I'd never seen play. The sleuth work took place without me! Undecided
But we all know each other here! Should be fun! Evil_monster
I'm sticking with simple voyeurism this time, though! Angel Let you young folk perform for me! Tongue